atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Vintage Tech Ringing units - 04/19/07 03:34 PM
Hi Everybody,

From what training I've had I understand the telephone company supplies 4-5 ringing units per line. On a 1A2 key system the number of ringing units depends on the power supply and the amount of wiring installed.

If you want to add more ringing potential without changing the power supply. What's the best approach?

Would you purchase a "ringing booster" or add a relay to the tip/ring pair at the demarc and switch an external supply?

Thanks,
Dave
Posted By: justbill Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 03:44 PM
I'm not following you. The phone company has several ring supply generators per CO, not per line. Your KSU's ring generator should be plenty using common bell. The old panels would have one ring generator per panel. Just what is it you're trying to do?
Posted By: Vintage Tech Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 03:51 PM
It appears that there isn't enough power to ring multiple standard ringers. For instance, I added a desk set in the basement for this customer and now the phones on the 2nd floor are not ringing. I thought it might be the phone, but I didn't want to replace it right away without checking other possibilities.
Posted By: Vintage Tech Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 03:52 PM
Also, some of the ringing is coming straight from the CO before it reaches the KSU.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 04:49 PM
Does your Key system have a ring generator?
What key system is it?

Are you using the Common audible output or are you strapping the tip and ring to the yellow slate? Are there Single line sets without A lead control wire in front of the Key service unit?

I need more information to figure it out.
Posted By: justbill Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 05:16 PM
I agree SS. Basic CO line ringing is rated to ring 5 ringers minimum, most will ring more. Your common bell in your KSU should easily ring 8 ringers. So how many bells you trying to ring? If it's the old bell ringers, loosen the bias spring, they still may all ring.
Posted By: Vintage Tech Re: Ringing units - 04/19/07 05:52 PM
I traced it down to a desk set. If I disconnect it the phones ring fine. Also, I swapped out the desk set with a new one and the phones ring fine. So I may have a bias spring that's too tight or just a bad ringer. I've never seen that.

Thanks,
Dave
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help