atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phone_collector95 A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 05:59 AM
I have always loved writing- and I can go really far with things I like- 1A2 and phones of course! I would like to write a 1A2 encyclopedia. So that way collectors like me don't have to comb the internet looking for Bell System Practices and all that jazz. I'm going to start on it now once I finish this post, and if you have any recommendations for things I should include that would be extraordinarily helpful. Thanks you guys!
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 07:27 AM
Whew, I believe you have bitten off more than you realize! More power to you, you're young enough that you might complete 'The Definitive 1A2 Encyclopedia'. smile John C.
Posted By: skip555 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 07:51 AM
convincing a publisher that there is a viable market might be anther story
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 08:36 AM
That's true- after posting I put some thought into that I could just sell the book on eBay in printed out copies- that would be easier and eBay is a much larger market.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 02:47 PM
I believe the term is "Self-Published". That said, I'm afraid Skip is right. The only interest will be old 1A2 techs (Like me), and young snapperwhippers ( smile ) like yourself! However, with a little pushing, you can probably get some help AND interest here. But, you'll probably wind up giving away the book. Actually, when the guys from the other side of the universe visit, in a 100 million years, they may find it quite interesting, as an indication of our technical developement process. frown John C.
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 06:59 PM
I am now into the second chapter (counting the introduction)
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/09/09 07:01 PM
The underscores represent a page break

Buttons and Buzzers

A Look at the 1A2 Key Telephone Systems of Yesterday

For my family and the guys at Sundance Communications for all their help and patience for my never-ending questions

Contents

Introduction ...................................................................1

How 1A2 Works............................................................2

Introduction

If you are reading this, you are most likely a collector, or maybe you were just browsing and came across this book and wanted to see what it was. This book is about the 1A2 Key Business Telephone System. A Key System, or 1A2, as it’s commonly called, was one of the major breakthroughs in the world of PBX (Private Branch Exchange) systems. During the mid 1970’s through the late 1980’s, 1A2 was incredibly common. This book will teach you how to install and use a 1A2 properly and with ease.

How 1A2 Works

A 1A2 Key System is very simple. It consists of a Key Service Unit, or KSU, which contains all of the “brains” of the system, and the telephone sets that are connected to the KSU via 25 pair Amphenol cable. Inside the KSU, there (this varies with the type and brand of KSU) is a large array of what look like small metal teeth. These pins form what is called the Punch Block. The Punch Block is where all of the connections for each telephone set are made. The connecting is made by terminating (fitting an exposed length of copper wire in between the teeth so electrical signals etc. can be made between the KSU and telephone set) the pairs of insulated copper wire on the punch block. This is usually done easily with the proper tools. If you are a collector and currently own a 1A2 and are looking to get it running, the first thing you need to get is a 66 Punch Block Tool. This tool looks similar to the pins on the Punch Block, but it makes it significantly easier to terminate wires.
Posted By: Lightning horse Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/10/09 05:57 PM
I'd say you are coming from the back end on this! You need to explain how a line on a 1A2 works first. Explain the ring cycle from the C. O., the activity trigeered in the 400 line card and what the visual/audio results are at the phone. Then what the options are if you answer the phone and what they will do. And what will happen if you don't answer the call and the caller abandons the call. Installation details would be in the 3rd chapter. With a schematic of one line cell and a full 25pair breakout, with each leads function. Man, am I tired. GOOD LUCK! John C.
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/11/09 08:21 AM
That was simply a post to show everyone where I am in writing it, so you may post suggestions (like you did, and I will take note of those) and correct any mistakes etc. Thanks for the suggestions! I will put them in now.
Posted By: MnDave Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/11/09 10:01 AM
Going back in time to revisit 1A2 is kind of like looking up the girl that taught you how to french kiss and no more. Do you really want to be with her today?
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/12/09 11:19 AM
Not trying to sound snippy, but does that mean I'm wasting my time? My goal is to make it easier for other collectors and fans of 1A2 to set up their own Key System.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/12/09 12:06 PM
I wouldn't necessarily go as far as to say that you are wasting you time. I'd consider it to be more of a labor of love than an money-making endeavor. You are facing several challenges here:

1. There isn't a large demand for such a publication.

2. There have been some very good publications done for the private sector, such as Lee's ABCs of Telephony that did a very good job with their 1A2 series. I am sure that they are long-since out of print, but I'll bet that there are plenty of them out there on the secondary market.

3. There is a large amount of on-line support or information for these systems, such as this site. There are also many collector's sites that cater more to collectors and vintage products where many people obtain that answer they are seeking. Google will not be your friend in this instance.

Don't get me wrong; I admire your desire to approach this endeavor. I just don't see it as a means in which to generate revenue.
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/12/09 01:50 PM
Thanks for the advice! I will take that into consideration before I get to far into anything.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/18/09 11:25 AM
I have been working on 1A2 since 1965. I still have a couple of customers who have systems in their houses and offices.

I have written BSP's, employee instruction manuals, customer instruction pamphlets and have edited and corrected many similar documents.

When the time comes to polish and proof-read your book, let me know. I would be happy to help.
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/19/09 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot! You should publish yourself! I'm sure you're a walking encyclopedia of 1A2!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/19/09 12:31 PM
"I'm sure you're a walking encyclopedia of 1A2!"
That is an understatement. You should see some of Arthur's collection. eek
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/19/09 02:24 PM
clap
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/19/09 07:49 PM
Speaking of which, I am still looking for a couple of non-WE key sets to round out a collection of 564/565 sets. I have one of every color from WE except brown, and I despair of ever finding one. So I have decided to go to the Dark Side and put an ITT brown one on the shelf. That prompted me to say "What the H, I'll put an ITT ash one up there too."

So, I need two rotary 6-button ITT sets in brown and ash. Thanks for any leads.
Posted By: Silversam Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/20/09 06:19 AM
Arthur -

I don't know that I ever saw a WECO Brown KV set. Or an Ash one either.

Did they ever produce them as a regular stock item? I know in the Interconnect world those were our two biggest sellers - mostly because Bell didn't have them.

I remember putting in one job with 830 (10 button) sets. It was a big boiler room type operation with long desks. We had 20 or so alternating ITT sets - Brown with an Ash faceplate then an Ash with a Brown faceplate, then ....... You get the picture. It was the customer's choice and he showed it off to everyone who walked in the joint.

I might have 2564s in those colors, but no rotary.

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/20/09 08:02 AM
I only remember Western Electric Design Line and Trimlines being available in brown.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/20/09 05:04 PM
Long ago, brown (color suffix -54) was used for 500 sets and 54X and 56X series key sets. They MD'd them in the mid 1960's. They are too rare even to consider finding one.

WECO never made anything in ash.

So I need an ITT brown and an ITT ash.
Posted By: tlb Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/21/09 08:48 AM
Arthur,

Did ITT make a brown 6-button rotary set? I don't ever remember seeing it in brown. I have an ash and brown TT 6-button. Of course I worked for an interconnect in the mid to late 80's and rotary dial was not ordered very often. I will have to take a few snapshots of my WE 2565 collection. I have at least one in every color made and some colors I have two. 6-button wall and touch-a-matics also. This was all uninstalled from the house I grew up in and I packed it all very nicely in boxes. I even took out the KSU and some of the 25 pair cabling as I knew the new owners didn't want it.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/21/09 09:24 AM
ITT definitely made them in brown. We sold a bunch of them to government agencies in the 1980's.
Posted By: Silversam Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 05/21/09 11:00 AM
Originally posted by EV607797:
ITT definitely made them in brown. We sold a bunch of them to government agencies in the 1980's.
Ditto. The Fed's specs were that they would accept either tone or
rotary - but they bought whatever was cheaper - and that was rotary, by about 15% if I remember correctly. In the early '70s we probably did 50/50 rotary/tone with a sizable minority of the sets being brown ITT 564s & 830s. By the late '70s though almost everything commercial around here was going tone.

Except the Federal Government jobs,

I installed a couple of thousand Stromberg - Carlson "mini call directors" (1800 series? I can't remember) - 6 button sets in Brown, Ash & Beige for the feds as late as the early '80s. The S-C set were nice - with all buttons in the up position you had an intercom path available. Almost like getting a 6th line "free".

Sam
Posted By: phone_collector95 Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 06/15/09 09:55 AM
Sorry to disappoint (this won't come as a surprise to most of you), but I just don't have the time or the organization to take on such a project. If anyone wants (if I still have the file) I can send what I had and that person may continue it on their own. I don't think I still have the file but I will check once I get home.
Posted By: metelcom Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 06/15/09 10:42 AM
Now you see why it would be hard to find that book there is to much information and differences in the systems to be condensed into one book. Find the file and hang onto it you may need to do a paper for high school or college someday and that would make an interesting topic.
Posted By: kd1s Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 06/27/09 06:50 PM
I don't think you'll do much better at it then the people at Bell did. Check this link:

https://www.orioninfopro.com/telecom/BSP/KEY-SERVICE-I.pdf
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: A book on 1A2 Key Systems - 07/22/09 11:26 AM
I still have Volume 1 in hardcopy...not in very good condition, but it is still readable.

Dean
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help