atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: phonenut260 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/15/10 05:40 PM
I bought a NOS 2662 A1MW to use with a 4A speakerphone; at least I thought this was the correct phone to use. The seller even included schematics but it shows only a 3B speakerphone hook-up which I'm not bright enough to figure out to be perfectly honest. Also the schematic lists a 2662AW1 to be used with the 3B. (Right now I still do not have a working KSU either.) I had hoped that I could hook it up to a 4A in a similar manner to a 2565. So here are my questions:
1. Is this the correct 2662 to use with a speakerphone?
2. Can it be used with a 4A or is it limited to a 3B?
3. Is there a special connector to use with the 3B? (Yes, I have a Model 55 control unit)
Posted By: Silversam Re: 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/16/10 03:11 PM
The 2662 set is, as you said a card dialer. All the prints I have for hooking it up are to a type 3 Speakerphone.

By the time type 4 Speakerphones came out, Weco was no longer (to my knowledge) pushing the card dialer and had moved to the Touchamatic.

I was not an AT&T employee, so I didn't hook up many of either of these two phones. I imagine the phone can be used with a 4A, but as I lack any prints for a 4A I really can't even point you in the right direction.

Hopefully one of the Bell System guys will stop by and give you better information.

According to the prints I have, there's no "special" connector needed to hook up a 3B. The prints show IW (Inside Wire) from the 55 control unit to a 66E block (used instead of a an amphenol so you have access to wiring from the set) to pick up the Violet pairs and A1 ground and then more IW to a 44 block (a larger version of the 42 block used to connect single line phones- any terminal block will do) to connect the transmitter, receiver and power supply.

Sam
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/16/10 04:26 PM
Right on, Sam. With the 223A adapter (hard-wired), you can pretty much connect a 4A to any real phone. Bill, if you can get your hands on one of those bad boys, I can probably back into the schematics to get you working.

Arthur, Arthur...........Where are you? Stuck in traffic on the "Island" again?
Posted By: phonenut260 Re: 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/16/10 07:58 PM
Thanks, guys, I hope...Ev, you say any "real phone" can be hooked up to a 4A, but you can't hook up a 2564 to a 4A, can you? Doesn't a 4A require a special dial?
Sam's right, the 4-type was introduced after the Card Dialers were MD'd. However, generally, if a phone is designed to accommodate a 3-type, a 4-type will work, too.

With that said, we need to determine if the 2662 has enough leads and the correct dial to take a speakerphone.

My Station Specialties handbooks are in the barn. I'm nice and warm next to the woodstove, reading a great book, with Mr. Cat ("The Royal Crotch Warmer") on my lap.

When I get the courage to venture out there through the snow, I'll get the info we need.
Posted By: phonenut260 Re: 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/17/10 06:38 PM
Thank you Arthur. I hope that will be in the near future as we don't have a warming trend yet here in Indiana. Here's another question related to all this. I can hook up a 4A without a KSU, and I don't mean with just a 2500S, as long as I use the proper components and a POTS line. Have never gotten the 3B to work, but then I do not have a KSU operational yet and the schematic seems to require one. Is this true, or is a POTS line enough, but I'm just not hooking it up correctly?
No KSU needed. The functions of the various spkrphns just duplicate the functions of a standard tel set with the handset hung up.
Posted By: phonenut260 Re: 2662 WE card dialer and speakerphone - 02/18/10 05:40 PM
OK, thanks, I will try to get my 3B going. Will let you know if I have any luck.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help