atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mk2607 107B Speakerphone - 04/04/11 09:52 AM
Hello everyone, new to this forum here. I recently came across Western Electric 107B speaker. I'd like to hook it up and use it with my WE 1956 500C/D phone. I really don't know anything about the 107B system and couldn't find much anything while researching online. The speaker was made in Oct of 77, and the connection wire coming out of it has 6 connections. Any info about the system or how to connect it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted By: Silversam Re: 107B Speakerphone - 04/04/11 10:36 AM
As I recall, only 4 wires were used - green, red, black & yellow. I believe blue & white were spare. Green & Red could be wired to GN & R on the network, where the 2 white leads of the handset connected. Effectively, you were just bridging the receiver in the handset to the 107 which is an amplified speaker.

Power, (18 volts AC) goes to the black & yellow leads. Power was usually supplied by a little wall wart transformer - a 2012B, but any source of 18VAC should work.

I believe you could also wire the unit across Tip and Ring of the line and that would work too, but I really don't remember.

PLEASE NOTE: This is a speaker ONLY - not a speakerphone. There is not transmit, only receive. It was designed to sit on a desk where people would listen to one person talk on the phone and then they could hear the other side of the conversation through the 107.

Sam
Posted By: mk2607 Re: 107B Speakerphone - 04/04/11 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried wiring the black and yellow leads to the line connections on the network and was able to get some output from the speaker, but it was soft and somewhat intermittent with static. I'm guessing the supply is not powerful enough for it, and I need to get one of the 2012s or another form of external power?
Posted By: JPGolan Re: 107B Speakerphone - 04/05/11 02:50 AM
A standard doorbell transformer is also 18 VAC
Posted By: Silversam Re: 107B Speakerphone - 04/05/11 05:14 AM
When I said wire the unit across Tip and Ring I was talking about the Green and Red wires going to T&R as opposed to going to thhe handset leads. You WILL need an 18 VAC transformer across the Black & Yellow leads.

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help