atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: PHIL McCarter Photo's of large 1A2 system and phones - 03/22/14 04:40 AM
Hi here is a link to some 1A2 key system and phones.
This is a private collection.
If you click on the gallery this will take you to the main
page for this site, lots of other phone photos.
https://www.strowgercentraloffice.com/gallery2/index.php/1a2
Please send a message if link is broken.
Thank you Phil
I love those pics Phil!
If you click on Gallery this will to you to the mail page. Here you can see the entire collection.
Wow Phil. That is amazing. Reminds me of the setup we used to have in the Sun Valley Lodge when I worked there in the 80s/90s only much bigger, cleaner and significantly less dusty
Posted By: John807 Re: Photo's of large 1A2 system and phones - 04/04/14 12:02 AM
The way things are going, I wish they were in vogue again. Clear voice, ringing even during a black out. Building muscle pulling "manly cable" not this "dainty" crap. Oh all's I have to do is type to make a phone ring. Make me think and I'll design a diode matrix. It all got way too easy in my opinion.
John 807
Posted By: Rcaman Re: Photo's of large 1A2 system and phones - 04/04/14 08:49 PM
This reminded me of the Hilton Reservation headquarters here in Pittsburgh. When we installed the cross-bar PBX in 1975, we also installed 1,500 lines of 1A2. The photos were nearly identical to what we did. The up side to 1A2 is it ALWAYS worked. The down side is the technicians must possess at least 2 active, working brain cells to troubleshoot and maintain the systems. Today, that's asking for too much.

Rcaman
Hey guys,
This last weekend I happened to be going to Portland and had the opportunity to be invited to see Phil's setup down in Salem.
I have to say that the pics he has does not do justice to everything he has set up down there. Manual switchboard, toll switchboard, fully functional step by step switch, Crossbar switch.. So many phones I wouldnt guess to count and a whole rainbow room of basically all models of 1A2 phones in all colors.

We walked into the switch room and I was blown away. at the touch of a button he fired up the test calls to the step by step switch and the thing came to life. Just simply amazing. I spent over 3 hours there and my brain is still melted. I had always lamented not ever being able to see an electromechanical switch in operation. Now I have. It was awesome.

Phil, thanks so much for having us out. I'd love to come visit again. Especially to take some video of the switch running. Everyone else: If you have the opportunity to be in the neighborhood get ahold of Phil and try to visit. Its the Disneyland for phone nerds! smile
Shawn
You guys on the East side of the country can see a whole bunch of EM switches in action. There is a switchers' tour the Saturday of the June weekend when the TCI Lancaster PA meet occurs.

It was last weekend, and next year promises to be even bigger and better. There were over 100 tables for buying and selling antique and not-so antique telephone stuff, and the tour covered at least three different homes where EM switches are permanently set up.

The meet itself hosted a C*NET connection so that demo switches (step and crossbar) could access the world-wide C*NETwork. (see www.CKTS.info)
Reviving this thread for the lateset folk's
New web sit coming soon. This was never compleated.
All I can say is AMAZING! Makes my little 1A2 set up look quite insignificant!

Best,

Joe
Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Photo's of large 1A2 system and phones - 01/14/16 10:56 PM
I visited Phil's collection last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the amazing working central office switches, working switchboards and phones. I'm going to be starting a 1A2 project soon and can't wait to get started.

Many thanks Phil!

New link for my 1A2
www.stepswitch.us
all photo's still old. will update later this year.
added www.stepswitch.us or you tube sxsphil
Nice website.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Photo's of large 1A2 system and phones - 01/04/19 12:10 PM
Wow!

Sam
very cool!!
Good to see you Phil! Hope to get out that way and see you again soon!
Hope all is well!
Shawn
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help