atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: pdxjim911 Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 02:30 AM
I am beginning my 1A2 install using an ITT 601 KSU equipped with 5 lines using 400E KTUs and a combined intercom.

I'm laying out the 66 blocks and mushrooms and would welcome advice on properly mounting everything. My plan is to run 25 pair from the KSU to a 66B block which is next to the KSU. I will cross connect from there to the adjoining 66M blocks.

At the top right of this picture is a Cat5 block so I can bring in two C*Net lines from my cable modem/router and a connection to Xlink which supports bluetooth to my cell.

I was planning to use the biscuits below the 66B to connect the CO lines into either the KSU or 66B.

Thanks for taking the time to look. I have greatly enjoyed looking through the archives.

I have a ground wire ready to go as well.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dexman Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 03:19 AM
I would offer up using colored backboards as well as backboards for the mushrooms. I realize that ILECS didn't really use backboards, but, there is something satisfying about a neatly cabled backboard.

Red for keysystem cables.
Blue for station cables.
White for mushrooms.

I posted some pictures of my Church's installation on my website.
Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 04:54 AM
Thanks Paul! Wow, your church install looks fantastic. The colors certainly make the whole thing look better then a plain white piece of plywood!

I searched for other backboard colors, but only found blue. I did find a source for mushrooms on a white board. Where did you find red?

Posted By: EV607797 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 05:24 AM
Paul, thanks so much for the kudos on your site. I don't know how I missed that before. I'm glad that you are one of the few who takes pride in doing it the right way.
Posted By: dexman Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by pdxjim911
Thanks Paul! Wow, your church install looks fantastic. The colors certainly make the whole thing look better then a plain white piece of plywood!

I searched for other backboard colors, but only found blue. I did find a source for mushrooms on a white board. Where did you find red?

Thank you for the complement smile

Ed Vaughn provided me with some really nice Western Electric vintage purple 1/2 field backboards, Suttle jacks & 66 blocks. One of the backboards is used in the Church install and the other is safely tucked away.

There is a company that lists quite a bit of telecom hardware on his site. Ed tipped me off to the outfit, but, when I spoke with the owner, he sells strictly wholesale, and, wouldn't sell to me...which I understand and have no hard feelings.

Solonics

I did find a listing for a retailer that lists metal 66 block backboards.

Primus_Cable

This is a link to the 1/2 field backboards. The site shows 1/4 and full field versions as well.

With the decline of traditional telephone service, color coding isn't observed as closely as it was in the past. Most of the time, a blue backboard is mounted and 66 blocks...if used...are left uncovered...or...a clear snap-on or orange swing cover are used.

The matching swing covers and bridging clips are Siemon brand and were ordered from Graybar. smile
Posted By: dexman Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by EV607797
Paul, thanks so much for the kudos on your site. I don't know how I missed that before. I'm glad that you are one of the few who takes pride in doing it the right way.

Thanks Ed!

Well...1 guess who planted that "bug" in my head a few years ago. grin
Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 04:08 PM
Excellent. Thank you!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 04:31 PM
There is a company that lists quite a bit of telecom hardware on his site. Ed tipped me off to the outfit, but, when I spoke with the owner, he sells strictly wholesale, and, wouldn't sell to me...

I've been known to set up a company just because I never buy retail if I can help it or I can't get what I want any other place. My tax ID has my name on it so I can call a company anything I want since they only look to see that you have a tax ID- if they want anything at all. Go to Vista print and have some cards printed up for a few bucks. House is going to need a new paint job, hmmm, where's my painting contractor card. cool

-Hal
Posted By: John807 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 05:41 PM
Just remember the plywood is supposed to be fire rated painted with fire rated paint. Although I don't remember the last time I actually saw it done.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
There is a company that lists quite a bit of telecom hardware on his site. Ed tipped me off to the outfit, but, when I spoke with the owner, he sells strictly wholesale, and, wouldn't sell to me...

I've been known to set up a company just because I never buy retail if I can help it or I can't get what I want any other place. My tax ID has my name on it so I can call a company anything I want since they only look to see that you have a tax ID- if they want anything at all. Go to Vista print and have some cards printed up for a few bucks. House is going to need a new paint job, hmmm, where's my painting contractor card. cool

-Hal

Hal, is this your card?
https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/blog/bones-lionberger/
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by John807
Just remember the plywood is supposed to be fire rated painted with fire rated paint. Although I don't remember the last time I actually saw it done.

The electrical inspectors around here won't allow anything BUT a fire rate backboard for anything electrical.

If you paint the backboard, make sure the fire rated stamp doesn't get painted, or the inspector will make you replace the wood.

About two months ago the walls in the entire data room had to be replaced because the GC had the walls installed with the label on the interior side of the wall...about 10-12 full side sheets.
Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 08:34 PM
Thank's John & Dean. I really don't plan on Washington County inspecting my installation, but I like the idea of making it safe.

What are colors for fire rated paint?

Thanks!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 09:02 PM

Except I have separate cards for each of those "businesses". Wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea you know. devil

-Hal
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 11:23 PM
Jim, you're off to a great start with your project. What do you use to keep the keyset stuck to the wall?
Posted By: mphil Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/20/16 11:23 PM
Jim:

Let me know if you need any odd pieces or parts like buzzers or bridge clips or whatnot for your project. I may even have a spare 1A2 phone in storage, if needs must. It's an ugly but functional.
Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/21/16 12:24 AM
I was waiting for someone to ask Arthur! My board is currently laying flat suspended on saw horses. I climbed up in the air to take the picture.

I am going to install a 2851 on the wall somewhere (if I have room).

Posted By: pdxjim911 Re: Beginning my 1A2 Project - 01/21/16 12:33 AM
Thanks Mark! I appreciate that offer, but so far I think I have most everything lined up. I am lucky that I have a retired Pacific NW Bell retiree close by who has a small parts business out of his house.

I just discovered that he used to repair the key sets in my ancient 9-1-1 center inside an old 50's era civil defense shelter in Portland.

Kelly Butte

When I started in 1980, we used a Western Electric SXS ACD. Our agent consoles were 17 button Call Directors with no handset or cradle. Audio was wired out to four headset jacks built into our desk. In 1981 when 9-1-1 went live in Portland and the surrounding county, a Rolm CBX ACD system was installed. The Pacific NW Bell demo team came in with sledgehammers and destroyed all the switches of the old ACD. Sad day!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help