atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: John807 NEC code or Fire code - 01/26/16 03:54 PM
Greetings,
I'm not sure why but lately I've come across a lot of systems installed above drop ceilings. It's obvious they were installed after the ceiling was installed some as high as 12 feet. What I'm looking for are any national codes prohibiting the practice. So far the only one I can find from NEC is that no flexible cords may be plugged into an outlet above a drop ceiling that is 400.7 I believe. I also thought there was a code about equipment being installed at a workable height and clearance? These clients think I'm nuts when I tell them before I work on it I have to move it. The general response is whatsa matter ain't you got a ladder?
Thanks
Posted By: Meyery2k Re: NEC code or Fire code - 01/26/16 05:39 PM
Just shotgunning this but from what I understand of the NEC, only Class 2 power supplies (that are plenum rated, good luck finding that...) can be installed above the ceiling. This would rule against the flexible cords as mentioned. This link explains the reasoning behind this. Interestingly, it is not because there is 120VAC in the cable but the simple reason that the electrical cable is not plenum rated.

Unfortunately, if it is after the fact, it will probably never be picked up on a fire inspection because the inspector probably "ain't you got a ladder" either.

https://ecmweb.com/low-voltagecommunications/what-lurks-ceiling

Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: NEC code or Fire code - 01/27/16 03:14 AM
When in doubt remember Article 90.4

https://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/#4
Posted By: hbiss Re: NEC code or Fire code - 01/27/16 04:43 AM
It's not unusual to install equipment above a dropped ceiling. Alarm panels and access control panels come to mind. But the thing is that with them they are powered remotely by a low voltage transformer plugged into a receptacle that is not within the ceiling space. With a phone system you are going to have a problem. As far as I know the only thing the NEC says is if the system is installed there you can't plug it in. You can't connect it to a receptacle installed above a dropped ceiling nor can you run the line cord through a hole in the tile to a receptacle below.

That said, the building code may have something else to say especially if the space above the ceiling is used for environmental air.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help