atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Was there a KTU for overhead paging? - 06/05/19 08:00 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what the most expedient way of over head paging might be. Was there a specific KTU for this purpose? Or was it done with just relays. I am ordering a Northern Electric call director from Thephoneco. inc tomorrow, and would like to make one of the buttons, er, keys, to be for overhead paging with an amplifier and ceiling speakers. Then I can page my wife to bring me a beer... like she would :-)

Thank you in advance,

Joe
You could use an ITT KSP 401PA connected to the intercom . That way you aren't using a button, er, key.

Paging Adapter Circuit

or something like a Melco KA380 Paging Adapter

Posted By: Silversam Re: Was there a KTU for overhead paging? - 06/06/19 08:54 PM
What Dean said.

Or, if you can't find a 401PA and have a spare button on the set (which you will with a call director) you can connect a regular 401 card through a Bogen WMT-1 (or equivalent) to a PA system.

If your paging is going to be limited you can connect the 401 directly (without a WMT-1) to one or more Spokesman/Orators.

Sam
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: Was there a KTU for overhead paging? - 06/07/19 12:33 AM
Hi Sam,

That is what I was thinking of doing. Is there some way to make one of the buttons for this purpose not stay down when pushed? (Like the hold key on a multi-line phone.)

Thank you again,

Joe
Yes. Wish I had a picture of the key strip.

Open up the keyset and press one of the line as if making a call. Press down on the hook switch and watch the bar move from left to right. This will pop up the active line and change the line status from off-hook to on-hook.

You will see a little screw that the bar acts upon to release the line (button...whatever). Look at the Hold Key and compare.

I'm digging back over 25 years ago so I'm probably not making sense.
Posted By: TeletypeJoe Re: Was there a KTU for overhead paging? - 06/07/19 12:35 PM
Thank you!

I will do that when my call director arrives. I just yesterday ordered a green Northern Electric 18 button (er, key) unit from Thephoneco Inc,, and cannot wait for it to arrive. I have a lot of work to do to get a KSU ready for it, I doubt that my lunch box will be big enough!

Thank you again1

best,

Joe
Posted By: Silversam Re: Was there a KTU for overhead paging? - 06/07/19 01:57 PM
Dean beat me to it again!

Yes, there's a little screw on the key that latches on the bar. Unscrew it all the way and remove it completely (you will need a small slotted screwdriver). Test the button - it should now be completely non locking (we used to do this for "button and buzzer" intercoms to buzz one particular station). Tape the screw inside the set so it will be available to restore the button at a later date.

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help