atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Pat Broome 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/09/19 03:32 PM
I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere. Have a WE 551A ksu. I have 3 phone lines, currently 1 phone hooked up. Looking to have all 3 lines when called directly to ring or external buzzer. I understand I'd need the frequency generator to have all lines ring at the handsets. But can I get all lines to go to an external buzzer? I learned the 551 did not come with the 118a FG. This originally had just one line in use, where the yellow/slate pair was on the tip/ring. My question, I have a Bell System yard buzzer from our larger wall system that I'd like to have buzz for all incoming lines. Is this possible with this ksu? I've read several pages on this and so far my wiring combinations have been unsuccessful. I'm transferring from a larger 8 card wall unit to the 551 due to the larger unit acting up in hot weather, and dampness. Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/09/19 09:04 PM
If you really have a "Yard buzzer", as in one of those big gray ones made by Wheelock, those respond to normal ring voltage (you'll need to confirm this on the name plate). You'd still need a frequency (ring) generator to run this connected to terminals RG and RB in the KSU. The buzzer would connect to any of the B1/R1 outputs. Strap the first three CA terminals together with a single wire for all three lines to ring the buzzer.
Posted By: Pat Broome Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/09/19 09:27 PM
Yes, the old grey buzzer, stamped Bell System on front, very very loud. It's responding to ring voltage fine. So it's safe to say that I must have a frequency generator to make 2 or more lines ring independently or piggy back with a buzzer too? I guess I'm not comprehending how this system that didn't come with the 118A FG is supposed to work with multiple phones/lines.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/10/19 01:41 PM
You could also use one of the 10V or 18V buzzers. Wire RB, RG to the appropriate (10 or 18) voltage and hook up the buzzers to the Y/S.

I worked for GTE for a while and while they didn't have a 551 type KSU their practice 0n the West Coast (NOT on the East Coast!) was to have the incoming lines be signaled by buzzer, not by a ringer. I'm not sure why, but...

Sam
Posted By: Pat Broome Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/10/19 09:18 PM
Thanks Ed, I wasn't even thinking that the yard buzzer was higher voltage. I was thinking more like a piezo buzzer until I can find the appropriate Freq Generator. Sam, I ran the jumpers from G+/- and S+/- to RG & RB respectively, and have voltage there. I still have no voltage at the Y/S pair, or at B1/R1. Not sure what I'm missing. Thnx.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/10/19 10:22 PM
Well, you won't have voltage at B1 R1 till the call rings in. Then to get the phone to ring you connect Y/S (or Y/O, or Y/G, or whatever pair you have connected to your signaling device) to B1R1.

Sam
Posted By: Pat Broome Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 12:40 AM
I'm testing the B1/R1 terminals while I have the phone ringing, and still no voltage coming through.
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 03:22 AM
OK. Here's the BSP for the 551:

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/550and551/518-215-407.pdf

See page 9

If you've put Ringing power on RG/RB, then when the call rings in you should have ringing voltage on B1/R1.

If you don't...

Check to see if you have ringing voltage coming in on the appropriate T/R. If you don't then the CO is not sending Ringing Voltage (or perhaps not enough). If there's enough voltage then there are two places to troubleshoot - the Line card or the interruptor.

Check this and get back to us.

Sam
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 04:00 AM
I always checked for ringing voltage by licking one finger and dragging it across the pins on the 66 block to locate the correct pair.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 07:46 AM
There are strapping options on the line cards via the handle on the card. Are they in place? There's rarely any reason to change them, but since what you're telling us doesn't sound right, I had to ask.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 03:03 PM
It seems like the factory setting on the line cards would work without any modifications (400E's), but I do remember having to change one, but I don't remember the reason...probably to accommodate MOH.

Do you have BSP's for line cards? Here is one for the E for your viewing pleasure.

Posted By: Pat Broome Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 07:54 PM
Got it. After pulling my hair out for hours, I went back to basics. I changed the 20VAC fuse (which appeared to be good) and now I'm getting about 17V at B1/R1. Any recommendations on a good low voltage buzzer until I get a ring generator? Thank you so much for you help!

Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 08:13 PM
The ol' intercom buzzers and of course the newer ones with volume control.

[Linked Image from seriss.com]
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 10:24 PM
Any of the little buzzers with the WHITE wiring. (The ones with the blue wiring are for 10VAC)

Sam
Posted By: Carl Navarro Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/12/19 10:41 PM
In our part of the world, buzzers came in 3 flavors: SE-8A,8B, and 8X. A's were 6-10vac, B's were 10-40vac, and X's were for 90-140vac 20-60 Hz. The wires were blue, red, and black.

Carl
Posted By: Silversam Re: 1A2 KSU ringer question - 07/13/19 10:50 AM
What Carl said. Except around here the Red wires were white.

I'd forgotten about the High voltage buzzers.....

Sam
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help