atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: morephones Looking for intercom that has dialtone - 08/22/19 01:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a intercom unit the provides dial dial tone when you pick up the line. This intercom unit would go in to a 501 KSU to replace my teltone c19. I know that Valcom made a V-110RT that had a dial tone but not sure what other models that had the feature. Would the Valcom V-119RT or a Melco KC-19 have dial tone?

Thanks..
Valcom V-119RT yes it has dial tone. VT0119TR Instructions
I believe the Melco KC-19 had dial tone also but I cannot verify my memory.

UPDATE: KC-19 Install
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Looking for intercom that has dialtone - 08/22/19 04:05 AM
Only Valcom. All others were dry talk path only. Tone Commander offered it as an option on their ML-8000 series multi-link intercoms, but that's an entirely different league of intercoms and likely much less commonplace in the aftermarket.
I'd probably do a double take if I picked up an intercom line and got dialtone; I'd think I somehow got an outside line.

Looking at the Valcom V-119RT docs, apparently it had dial tone /and/ a ringback tone to indicate the remote station is being signaled.
Quoting its docs:

4.01 To make an intercom call, go off-hook, dial tone will be heard.
Dial the number of the desired zone or station.
Dial tone will be broken after the first number is dialed.
A one second ringback tone will indicate that the called station is being signaled.

I remember being surprised the 'sox' command on my linux machine could generate perfect telco sounds as .wav files,
including dial tone and busy signal sounds. For instance, these generate small .wav files for sounds we're used to in the US:

Dial tone:
sox -n dialtone.wav synth 1.0 sine 350 sine 440 channels 1

Busy signal:
sox -n busy-signal.wav synth .5 sine 480 sine 620 channels 1

Similar commands can be used to generate all the DTMF keypad sounds as well..
Posted By: ugly1 Re: Looking for intercom that has dialtone - 08/22/19 09:03 PM
Fair Radio Sales lists new military surplus Valcom V-119RT units for $85.00.
..there also seems to be a Valcom 119RT 'as is' on ebay right now for ten bucks
Posted By: Silversam Re: Looking for intercom that has dialtone - 08/22/19 09:20 PM
As I recall (never always accurately, BTW), the dial tone on intercoms was NOT Telco standard DT. Nor was it that high pitched European or Japanese standard. it was....different, lower in volume. I seem to remember being told that, that was deliberate - so as not to confuse people.

Sam
Thanks guys for all the help.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Looking for intercom that has dialtone - 09/02/19 04:05 PM
I have the valcom unit and it's just a single frequency tone for DT. Then it makes a short beep indicating signalling. Nothing fancy, but it let you know it was still alive.
Yep I meant to say "single frequency tone" not real dial tone from a POTs line lol.

I have a V-110RT but no way to attach it to the 501 KSU so I was thinking like a Valcom V-119RT. going to have to see if the wiring is the same or if I have to make any changes to the punch down block as I have a teltone
currently.

© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help