atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: morephones Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/17/22 06:21 AM
Hi Everyone.

I hope everyone is doing okay..

I need some help on hooking up a Teltone EX18 Expansion unit to my C 19 Unit. The part that I am understating is what is the purpose of the single digit inputs and outputs on the expansion unit if they are on the main unit. To my understanding, the single digit transfer digit from the main unit will connect to the X(A) and X(B) groups on the Expansion unit. Could be something very simple that I am not getting or overlooking

To add 19 stations to an intercom u. ,t, the intercom
connect block's R1 through RO outputs must be
connected to the 11 through 10 inputs on the expansion
module connect block. Similarly, for each added
expansion modUle, R outputs are brought from the
preceding connect block to the I inputs of the next
connect block, as shown in Figure 4

Transfer digits are assigned by strapping single-digit R
outputs to the X(A) and X(B) terminals. For example,
F:gure 4 shows strapping for 10's and 30's stations at
R1 and R3.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTES:
1. ALL TEN LINES GO TO NEXT EX·18A BUT ONLY NUMBERS
NOT USED AS TRANSFER DIGITS ARE AVAILABLE FOR
SINGLE DIGIT TELEPHONES.

2. ALL THESE DIGIT CHOICES ARE OPTIONAL. FOR
INSTANCE, IF USER WANTS 60'S TELEPHONES
INSTEAD OF 30'S, USE R6 RATHER THAN R3.

Here is the link to the Teltone Practice.

https://www.telephonecollectors.inf...tercoms-ocr-r?highlight=WyJ0ZWx0b25lIl0=

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Silversam Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/18/22 02:19 AM
It's been a very long time, but as I recall, a 19 station Intercom uses (for example) Intercom numbers
1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0, 20, 21, 22, 23,24,25,26,27,28,29.

2 is the transfer digit in this example. (It could just as easily be 3 or 7 or 9 or any of the other digits, but 2 was standard practice in the US).

If you're adding another 18 stations then you need another "tens" group so for example, you would remove 3 as a single digit extension. Your single digit extensions are now 1,4,5,6,7,8,9,0.
You still have 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29.
You now set up 3 as another transfer digit and now have another group of ten extensions 30-39.

Sam
Posted By: morephones Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/18/22 04:40 AM
Thanks Sam,

I am still confused on why you would continue the single digit extensions on the expansion unit if they are on the main intercom unit. I would think that you would use them from the main unit. The expansion unit has both input and outputs for the single digit extensions.

To my understanding the expansion unit is getting the transfer digit from the main unit..
Posted By: Silversam Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/18/22 02:41 PM
The expansion unit does not create any new extensions. It just supplies the switching matrix to allow additional extensions to be dialed.

I haven't seen one of these units in 40 years. And to be honest, when we needed to expand an intercom beyond 19 station we often replaced the KT/R-19 with a K-37.

Why this particular unit wants the single digits wired to it, I'm afraid i can't say.

A single channel 37 station intercom gets very busy, very quickly. When a company's need progressed to this level we often upgraded them to a multi channel intercom (6A, K36A, K76A) or to a small PBX.

Sam
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/19/22 09:25 PM
Wow haven't thought about the old 6a intercom systems since the late 70s.
Posted By: justbill Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/20/22 12:16 AM
The only thing I remember is they were big and heavy.
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/20/22 01:35 AM
Got my 6a certification in 1977. Worked on a couple up through 1981 and then I got out of the military. Never saw them in the civilian world. Like Bill said they were big and clunky.
Posted By: Silversam Re: Teltone 18 Expansion Help - 01/22/22 03:19 PM
In the early '70s we started putting in ITT's 36A system. It was an electronic version of the 6A with 1A2 built in. 2 or 4 channel Intercom and 12 lines of 1A2 in a 16C apparatus cabinet.

Sam
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help