atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: adrianw IP Phone and FIOS - 06/22/11 06:23 AM
Has anyone ever had a problem with using the MGCP IP Phone over FIOS? The problem we are having is IP phone to IP Phone is working. Once the IP Phone tries to make a call to Voicemail, another phone or grab dial ton only have one way audio. I can hear them but they cannot hear me. We are using unfettered Internet. As a proof of concept have move the IP Phones and PUGW card to the internal MPLS network (No restrictions) and everything works fine. At this point i am not wanting to go through the exercise of creating tunnels for all the users to be on private network so we can control the port numbers. (30 users times 30 routers will take a while and be costly)
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/22/11 10:13 AM
Do you have a sentinel installed?
Posted By: adrianw Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/22/11 04:15 PM
No sentinel installed. The other 2 sites work perfectly well, one is IP T-1 and the other is Metro E.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/22/11 08:02 PM
So let me get this straight. You are using IP on an internal LAN vs phones at home on the internet? Understand I count VPN as on the "network".
Posted By: adrianw Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/23/11 12:13 AM
I want to use this for External Phones (work at home people) however i continue to have problems with FIOS, so as a test to verify the integrity of the equipment moved everything internal and it is working fine. Then placed it back on the external and only Ip Phone to IP Phone works consistently. However when the IP Phone utilizes the MRC card for resources like dial tone or calling a TDM phone i only have one way audio. For example i am on the IP phone and call someone (for example phone call, with dial tone) I can hear them but they cannot hear me. I believe the problem to be FIOS, however there is a communication barrier as in I am telling them they are blocking some ports they refuse to acknowledge this, have verified with a sniffer with Tadiran. Just need to know what the buzz words are with Verizon to tell them to open up the ports or just don't block the high number ports. They aren't very understanding, so need to speak their lingo. We have several VoIP applications working in other parts of the country, we just so happen to be having this problem in Verizon territory. The VPN idea is a long shot in that I can create tunnels to everyones house my preference is to not do this because then i need to purchase 20+ routers/inexpensive firewalls for phone calls.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/23/11 04:45 AM
Well if you get it working let me know. This is why they made the sentinel. I have never gotten it to work the way you are attempting to do this without putting the card on a public ip outside the internal network. Of course using one public ip for signaling and one for mrc. I think you are failing to have a routable mrc path because nat tranversal has no way to route that call the way you're trying to do this.
Posted By: adrianw Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/23/11 06:27 AM
I am placing the PUGW card on the public Internet, Signal/Media both utilize a public IP. No interest on having this card on both, we have too many compliance requirements i physically segment Public & Private. I have this working at 3 other sites, only difference is not using FIOS, have it working with Cable modem as a backup.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/23/11 09:56 AM
Do you have the cards set to different zones? Also, it will not support multiple phones coming from one public ip this way FYI. I would check to see if udp ports 3000+ etc are being blocked somewhere.
Posted By: cheaptech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/27/11 07:58 AM
Wouldn't that be ports 16400 and up?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 06/27/11 09:19 AM
I usually do 3000+ and 16400+ and up as well as 2427.
Posted By: dendiko Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 09/14/11 02:33 PM
I got the exact proplem, and about the same question long time back. Talk one way although all the required port had been open already. I didn't use sentinel for external phone, just do open the port and also some with vpn.
Finally Owen help me solved the problem.
What Owen told me was put the Required Zone to 1 instead of the default 0. 0 is the default for the keyset phone.
Im not sure if this will help, but it solved my problem.
Posted By: adrianw Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 09/26/11 03:20 AM
yes card was/is set to zone 1. Still didn't resolve the issue. We had a spare 3725 router so made this the head end router, at the remote sites using a combination of 831/871 routers. At first thought this would be a piece of cake will use IP DDNS on the routers, after playing with that a bit so that it would break decided against it, I would be the only one working on these. So instead it is now a requirement for the users that work at home to have a static IP, and we create an IPSec tunnel to each persons house for the phone. I know it sounds pricey and just a lot of work but after pricing this out against bringing in a cable modem or IP T-1 just for VoIP the ROI is 1 year so not a bad trade off. Ended up having a Verizon tech come to site, showed him the problem after 2 hours he ended up saying there were 14 others customers in the area having the same problem...however we do use this same link for other purposes so at $280/month for 150 down and 35 up, yeah i can place a few routers out in the field. thanks for your suggestion though
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 09/26/11 10:58 AM
Still would have went with the Sentinel and saved yourself a TON of headaches and time.
Posted By: adrianw Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 09/27/11 06:16 PM
The Sentinel would work if we had several IP phones at one location right? these users all work from home at different places. Curios about the sentinel though never used one and have another application that this may come in handy. is it for an office say that has 20 phones and they can all hide behind one address?
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: IP Phone and FIOS - 09/27/11 10:09 PM
Yes..if it has the bandwidth for those 20 phones. Just makes it nice and neat with one UGW card.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help