atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Carmac Why 'Hack' Voicemail? - 03/24/11 07:31 AM
I'm pretty sure someone tried to chop into our voicemail last night. I get remote notifies on my own and some administrative mailboxes, and I had about 30 Bad Password attempts on the primary system voicemail, and several staff's voicemail passwords were reset to unknown values.

They did not get into the admin box, and I've straightened out the others, but - why?

What could they do other than cause some minor mischief?

TIA

:shrug:
Posted By: DND ON Re: Why 'Hack' Voicemail? - 03/24/11 07:44 AM
Any disgruntled former employees?

I had this happen once, where they put obscene greetings on a bunch of mailboxes. Kinda funny now, but not at the time.
Posted By: Carmac Re: Why 'Hack' Voicemail? - 03/24/11 08:22 AM
Possible on the disgruntled, but most of that was over a year ago. I was (am) concerned there might be a way to use 'Remote Messaging' or similar to do stuff.
Posted By: domino Re: Why 'Hack' Voicemail? - 03/30/11 10:37 AM
Major Reason: If your VM has notification active and no restrictions on the trunks. Then you can create a hellva big phone bill for someone. We had that happen to one of our customers. Before an employee left he had his VM notification going to a number in Africa. Customer didn't know about it until the bill came and BOOM 2G's. Really hurts if if it is a M&P setup...
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help