atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Divilish A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/01/05 05:56 PM
I stumbled upon this BB trying to get more info, this is a GREAT PLACE for knowledge!

I manage a small Axxess system and know a bit, but I have a few holes in my library of knowledge on what may be simple issues. I am trying to setup a test system so I can train others on the Axxess, nothing major just the basic stuff.

I bought a spare system with the NT 4-port voicemail, but I am not sure if it is complete. I have UM so I have a dongle, the new VM is a v5.118, does it need a dongle for the VM computer?

Also a question on the software. I am pretty sure all my cards are "flashable", that is as far as I go with the info. If a person was to upgrade the firmware is it as simple as just flashing the cards and putting in the new PAL chips??? And are PAL's backwards compatible? Like would a v6 work for a v5 install or do they have to be exact?

I appreciate any help that can be given!
Posted By: DnRComm Re: A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/01/05 06:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Divilish:
I stumbled upon this BB trying to get more info, this is a GREAT PLACE for knowledge!

I manage a small Axxess system and know a bit, but I have a few holes in my library of knowledge on what may be simple issues. I am trying to setup a test system so I can train others on the Axxess, nothing major just the basic stuff.

I bought a spare system with the NT 4-port voicemail, but I am not sure if it is complete. I have UM so I have a dongle, the new VM is a v5.118, does it need a dongle for the VM computer?

Also a question on the software. I am pretty sure all my cards are "flashable", that is as far as I go with the info. If a person was to upgrade the firmware is it as simple as just flashing the cards and putting in the new PAL chips??? And are PAL's backwards compatible? Like would a v6 work for a v5 install or do they have to be exact?

I appreciate any help that can be given!
</font>

First, Welcome to the board, and I will attempt to answer all your questions here. First, yes the voice mail will need a dongle for UM and a netwrok then to send messages to. PALs are not normally backwards compatably, tho I THINK between 6 and 5 they are, but mrb will chime in to make sure I am correct. Again between 5 and 6 yea, more or less it is pretty easy, above 7, and again I THINK you get into more problems. Inter-Tel keeps trying to make it harder and harder for us to work on these.

------------------
Voice and Data Cabling in DFW, [email protected]
DnR Communications
Posted By: Divilish Re: A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/01/05 06:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DnRComm:
First, Welcome to the board, and I will attempt to answer all your questions here. First, yes the voice mail will need a dongle for UM and a netwrok then to send messages to. PALs are not normally backwards compatably, tho I THINK between 6 and 5 they are, but mrb will chime in to make sure I am correct. Again between 5 and 6 yea, more or less it is pretty easy, above 7, and again I THINK you get into more problems. Inter-Tel keeps trying to make it harder and harder for us to work on these.

</font>

WOW! Thanks for the quick reply....I already figured out the upgrade is killed, way too much trouble for an unqualified person like myself.

But on the NT VM, I just have the basic stuff, no UM(that is my real system), does a basic NT VM have a dongle also? Or is the dongle only for UM?

Now if I can just find a cordless phone that works inside by office....
Posted By: DnRComm Re: A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/01/05 07:06 PM
No dongle for regular VM.

------------------
DnR Communications
Posted By: mrb Re: A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/02/05 07:40 AM
Your PAL will not translate to 6.x. A 5.1 PAL will work on 5.2 software. BUT 5.3, 6 & 7 all required unique PAL's. VM works w/o the dongle. And I always defer to DnR when he puts in his $0.02.
Posted By: DnRComm Re: A few issues for a semi-newby - 06/02/05 10:01 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrb:
Your PAL will not translate to 6.x. A 5.1 PAL will work on 5.2 software. BUT 5.3, 6 & 7 all required unique PAL's. VM works w/o the dongle. And I always defer to DnR when he puts in his $0.02.</font>

I sure am glad you are here to correct me.
Thanks again sir.

------------------
DnR Communications
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help