atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: KEY TEL Calls dropping - 02/08/08 04:16 AM
I posted earlier - Calls dropping over DSL - but no response...Did I do/say something wrong? Old in the business, but new to this forum.
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Calls dropping - 02/08/08 04:45 AM
First of all, welcome to the board. Second, I did not see your first post.

My suggestion, try one of the IP endpoints in your office and see if the problem persists.

You may need to get your customer a larger-bandwidth connection to solve this (also, are they on two different ISPs?)
Posted By: KEY TEL Re: Calls dropping - 02/08/08 05:46 AM
Thanks!! My office is ATT DSL lite which is 100 yards from the customers remote site in Key West, and less bandwidth - they have full business DSL (256 up, 1 Meg down). There is another of these remote customer sites in Miami with ATT DSL that experiences the same failure pattern. Neither of these remote sites are heavy bandwidth users.

An interesting symptom - The remote sites also use "Remote Desktop" to access their home office server (where the AXXESS is located). Frequently, the remote desktop connection locks up at the same time the phone reboots.

The basic question is, should these IP Phones work on a DSL connection? Is a switch to Cable necessary to correct these cutoffs?
Posted By: JordonJ Re: Calls dropping - 02/08/08 09:33 AM
PM sent
Posted By: RCA Re: Calls dropping - 02/09/08 11:11 AM
This was the other thread.

https://www.sundance-communications.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/4/t/001702.html
Posted By: pbastewart Re: Calls dropping - 02/09/08 05:23 PM
KEY TEL,

I would check the NW Stability for 24-48 hours. Run an Event Log to monitor the network on the customer server so you can see if there is a trend in NW connectivity dropping. Also, you may have a memory leak issue on one of the PCs which is slowing it down, and causing major retransmissions on the NW and therby causes overload on the Remote Desktop Connection. Also, one other thing, Remote Desktop is much more bandwidth intensive than Terminal Services or PC Anywhere, Real VNC, etc. With only 256K upstream you may be looking at a bottleneck issue. With a 1MB DL speed, if they arfe surfing the internet via Remote Desktop, plus trying to communicate back upstream, 2-3 users could max out this setup very quickly. When using Remote Desktop, if you surf the web over it, then you are also surfing the web from the primary location, plus running RD. Chokes up the connection very quickly. If using Access DB across the RD connection can also cause issues. ANy spyware or malware on the home PC can also cause issues, as it will exploit the connection of the office's DSL line in a backdoor capacity. Hope this helps some.
Posted By: KEY TEL Re: Calls dropping - 02/14/08 06:26 AM
Wow...A lot of good suggestions - all pointing to insufficient bandwidth. Right now, I am waiting for "the home office" to finish a sales show, so the IT support guy can allocate some time to this problem. Talk about misplaced priorities!

I'll update soon - I hope.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help