atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dfleschute LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 05:55 AM
We are using an LSC to send audio to an external PA system. It has worked well for years until now. When I dial any of the trunks directly, I receive a message stating the trunk is unplugged. I've swapped out the LSC with a spare card. The message is the same. I've plugged an analog phone into the line. The is no dial tone.

Any idea?
Posted By: metelcom Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 06:02 AM
There may be a device between the LSC card and the amp that supplies talk voltage.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 06:53 AM
That would be simple, so of course, that's not the case. It is a direct connection between the LSC and Valcom V-2006A.
Posted By: metelcom Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 07:47 AM
I would start there the Valcom supplys the talk path

In connection with a telephone system, the unit shall have the ability to provide loop current, the detection of which shall indicate
a request for service (in the loop start mode of operation). Ground start operation shall be available as an optional mode of service
request. In connection with a telephone system page port, a "dry" tip and ring connection with provision for contact closure start shall be
provided. A battery feed switch located on the unit shall enable or disable the loop current option of the tip and ring connections. A
second switch shall select loop start or ground start service request options.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 07:54 AM
I appreciate the information. I've checked all dip switches and punch block connections. Now I'm trying to see if the power supply for the amp has failed. Unfortunately for me, the traces are not accessible unless I tear the thing apart.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 08:41 AM
The paging amplifier is working. I was able to patch directly into the system to confirm. We use the SPCL 7 to page, but we are then allowed to enter a second number which activates the external paging system. This second number is no longer being accepted by the phone system. Where is this programmed?
Posted By: Tellink Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 09:18 AM
Sounds like something is screwy with the page interface. When you go off-hook on the loop start trunk that is connected to the paging equipment, the paging equipment should be providing talk battery. It sounds like that is where it is failing. Make sure that you have the 'Battery' switch on the Valcom set to 'on'.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 09:48 AM
It is set to "On". It is also set to "Loop Start" and "Dial Tone".
Posted By: Tellink Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 10:13 AM
What happens when you simply connect an analog phone to that port on the valcom. Do you hear talk battery?
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 10:20 AM
I hooked up a Butt-set to the Valcom. There is dial tone.
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 10:39 AM
Try temporarily connecting a known good trunk to the LSC port. A single line circuit will also do if you're short on trunks.

What do you get?
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 10:54 AM
I don't have one available. The LSC was used about 3 upgrades ago. It is only used for the PA. The only POTS lines I have are for the security and fire system. Our security dept. does not have a noticeable sense of humor.
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:19 AM
Faxes, credit card machine???
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:22 AM
Wait a minute. I just reread this thread. You have a zone controller between the LSC and the amp. Correct?
Posted By: metelcom Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:25 AM
Have you tried rebooting the system?
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:30 AM
All analog devices are run through a SLC. All telecom is provided through four T1s.

The amp and zone controller are a single device. Valcom V-2006A. Dialing SPCL 7 activates page. The next number determines page zone in the Axxess. The next number determines the page zone within the Valcom unit. 0 = all zones. 1,2 or 3 for individual zones withing the external PA. The phone system no longer accepts the number for the PA. I hope that description works. If not, I'll try again.
Posted By: Tellink Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:31 AM
This may sound silly, but have you checked to make sure the amphenol connection to the LSC card is firmly attached?
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 11:55 AM
It's not accepting the second digit because the Axxess can't connect to the Valcom; there's no path setup yet which explains the "UNPLUGGED" situation.

For one minute, steal an SLC port and route it to the LSC. You need to verify the LSC circuit is functioning at this point.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 12:42 PM
The system does an automatic reboot once a week. It has passed the reboot. Rebooting during the day is not really an option. I need this job.

Borrow from an SLC? I have plugged an analog phone into the LSC. There was no dial tone. But that doesn't mean anything. You're trying to emulate a CO connection, right? All of the SLC circuits are programmed to the T1s. Only one pair on the LSC is terminated. That is to the Valcom. So I guess I don't understand what you mean by stealing the SLC port.
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 12:49 PM
Originally posted by dfleschute:
The system does an automatic reboot once a week. It has passed the reboot. Rebooting during the day is not really an option. I need this job.

Borrow from an SLC? I have plugged an analog phone into the LSC. There was no dial tone. But that doesn't mean anything. You're trying to emulate a CO connection, right? All of the SLC circuits are programmed to the T1s. Only one pair on the LSC is terminated. That is to the Valcom. So I guess I don't understand what you mean by stealing the SLC port.
Yes, trying to emulate a copper CO trunk is correct. Specifically, I wanted you to cross connect an SLC (analog) circuit to the LSC circuit, then direct select the trunk and see if you still get "UNPLUGGED". If all is good you should hear DT.
Posted By: metelcom Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 01:11 PM
Put your butt set across the page pair on the LSC card and monitor it. Let us know what you hear when you dial the page codes from a system phone. Also can you get dial tone and dial paging with the butt set.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 01:26 PM
Okay. I'd like to hear someone explain this. I patched the SLC card into the LSC. It worked. I got dial tone. So I patched the PA back into the same port (using a patch panel). Now it works! The PA is up and running. Nothing was done to the LSC. Nothing was changed on the Valcom. Did the LSC just go to sleep until the SLC was connected to it?

I have to compliment you all. This is the quickest, most helpful and most replied to topic I have had the pleasure to have posted. I thank you all. I wish I had something better than "magic" as a fix for your trouble.
Posted By: dfleschute Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 01:47 PM
I'm out of the office till Friday. Please don't think I'm ignoring your replies.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Tellink Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 01:57 PM
Glad you got it working.
Posted By: SoCalJake Re: LSC trunks "Unplugged" - 11/03/08 09:05 PM
Funny. Some fixes are simply inexplicable! Glad to help!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help