sundance-communications.com
Posted By: jwooten Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 07:20 AM
I got a call from a "sometimes" customer. Seems they switched to TWC phone service and things weren't working right. I asked who physically moved their lines to the new service and was told "the computer outfit"! He said they were missing alot of calls and customers were complaining once they did get through. He also said they still had 4 lines due to be ported this past Thursday. Could I wait until Thursday to come in? This was Tuesday!!
I call Thursday morning, finally getting through and he wants me to come in.
I find 15 lines had been ported and crossconnects were done one for one. No big deal, except, the 4 remaining lines are in their rotary group as line 2,3,4 and 5 plus the new due date for porting is 2 weeks out!!! I contact the local sales rep for TWC and he says they created a new rotary group as listed on the old phone bill!!! The missing lines were on page 2 of the old phone bill! Remember the computer outfit that swung over the crossconnects... Line 3 of the "new" rotary group was connected to a server modem.... Get the picture now?
I had already tested the "new" lines for rotary and only the first 3 worked. The last line didn't have ring voltage!!! You couldn't be on the number, call it, and have it rotate as they weren't optioned that way, only the first 3 were optioned!!! I added the new lines one at a time, programmed a position then busied it, then called to test for the next line. Other than the no ring voltage line all was working fine. For whatever reason, 2 system line ports had been skipped but they were mapped to the 2 reception phones. Now I get the complaint that phones are ringing that shouldn't, line pool access doesn't work and several other minor issues. I clean up all these issues and set a specific DRT they didn't have. Test all faxes and cc machines and tell them the last 4 lines need to be stand-alone. The TWC tech showed up and fixed the no ring voltage line, too! All this in one of busiest clinics in town.
There were a lot of failures here and it started with TWC.
Posted By: KLD Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 08:07 AM
See?......and I thought I was the only one.... laugh
Posted By: grider Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 08:10 AM
I vote we use the words Time Warner Cable instead of TWC. That way the search engines pick it up.

Time Warner Cable Phone Service
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 09:50 AM
I think their first mistake was switching to Time Warner Cable Phone Service to begin with. Their second mistake was not having a phone guy present during the installation, first to make sure the TWC equipment gets installed in the proper manner then to do the cutover. This all is going to cost the customer money that they won't want to pay, especially when the sales weasels tell them that the cable bozos will handle everything.

Sue their butts off I say for incompetance and disruption of business. These guys have no idea what business class telephone sevice is.

-Hal
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 10:42 AM
I guess I'm pretty lucky (or I should say my customers are). Most CLECs and CATV companies around here won't touch cross connects and they insist that we be on-site for these cutovers.
Posted By: IPKII Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/06/08 11:47 AM
That is usually the case down here as well, however, every once in while...... :bang:
Posted By: johhz Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/07/08 05:41 PM
We have charter around here and almost always insist that we are on site for the cut overs
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/07/08 06:37 PM
Cablevision here and they tell the customers that their techs can handle everything- even though the fine print on their TOS says that they are not responsible for connecting business lines to telephone equipment.

-Hal
Posted By: johnp Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/07/08 08:32 PM
I always like the diyers, never call until after they make a poor decision and need some rescue.

Deal with comcast and charter here, but with either connecting to a business just ain't their game.

I try to steer customers away from those incompetent idiots. I have enought trouble with those who actually know telephony. Just don't need someone taking to the nth degree of stupidity.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 05:09 AM
I try to steer customers away from those incompetent idiots.

I try to do the same but it's tough to do when they are peddling something for nothing. I just wonder when the hell the government is going to get off their butts and tax and surcharge these idiots the same as the real telephone companies.

-Hal
Posted By: dans Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 09:38 AM
It is beyond words why all numbers could not be ported at one time, that is crazy.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 10:08 AM
I mentioned previously a customer that had twenty lines for his business. He had them divided into five different billing accounts for accounting purposes. Cablevision ran five separate RG-6 drops into the space, one for each account. Then they installed more than five separate modems each with backup battery supplies. But the most annoying part is that they had to make five different appointments over the course of two weeks to port the lines over! Unbelievable!

-Hal
Posted By: jacktel Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 07:36 PM
I have been called out twice by Comcast for cut over problems. After the first one they hired me as authorized sub to fix cable problems when their techs get a little to aggressive with the wire cutters. The first system came back up, the second system was fried when I got there. This was 6 months ago no work from them since.
John
Posted By: KLD Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 08:44 PM
Time Warner Cable Business Class is still the leader in screw ups...PERIOD.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 08:45 PM
the second system was fried when I got there...

They probably blamed the fried system on you.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/08/08 08:48 PM
Jim, would you be willing to re-word your heading to state Time Warner Cable vs. TWC?
Posted By: jwooten Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/09/08 03:17 PM
No problem... I would if I knew how! Also, local Time Warner equipment will only handle 12 POTS max and they install a 4 line unit. Why they didn't switch the last 4.... They were on page 2 of the phone bill :rofl:
Posted By: hbiss Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/09/08 04:01 PM
No problem... I would if I knew how!

Fixed it for you Jim.

-Hal
Posted By: KLD Re: Time Warner Cable Strikes Again - 12/09/08 05:19 PM
Thanks, Hal, that'll keep the spiders crawling....

Jim, only Time Warner Cable Business Class (see, I got it all in) around here and they do suxz.

laugh

I had a CPA end up with a 4X8 sheet of plywood covered with 2 line modems to get his lines and his computer guys lines done...over a period of passed due dates that took a month. Sorrowful.
© Business Phone System Forums