atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MooreTel "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 01:06 AM
X16, release 1. Had a vicious storm here the other night. Since then phones don’t link with KSU. Phones are lit up, but there is no power indicator light on the ksu. I checked the voltage & it’s normal.

Saw another thread on this topic and it said it would happen if using a splitter for the phone extensions. This does not apply here. Should I try to reset the ksu? Any clues?
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 01:28 AM
Dave, reset the KSU and cross your fingers
Posted By: justbill Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 01:36 AM
No heart beat, nothing to loose, my bet is it was fried. You could unplug all the phones and reset again if it doesn't work on the first reset, just incase one or more of the phones is causing it.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 02:29 PM
UPDATE:

By chanced I had a spare KSU in the truck. Same thing even though I had a power light. So I unplugged all 3 phones and retested on the new KSU. Two of the 3 are blown. So the KSU blew & 2 phones. My luck, the one phone that still works has a dim display on....

I took one of the blown phones apart to see how hard it would be to swap the displays - near impossible, so I'll keep the handsets and junk the rest....can't complain though, this was a rented system that I made almost $3500 on rental fees... smile
Posted By: justbill Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 07:54 PM
I lost a couple due to lightning. I had them well protected and on a UPS, just one of those things beyond our control.
Posted By: MooreTel Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 09:37 PM
Yeah, this was also o a UPS...
Posted By: BruceR Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 09:55 PM
In addition to a UPS on the powerline I also use an 'F-Type Lightning Surge Protector with Grounding Block' before the cable modem (usually outside) with an 8 AWG wire to ground even if the cable provider installed a ground block, which they often don't. They're under 20 bucks so worth a shot.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 10:23 PM
Whenever I read about "protection" against surges due to lightening or even the ol' run-of-the-mill utility pole transformer issues I think of things like:

Explosion proof telephones.

Yeah, right. Good luck using it after it takes a hit from a small tactical nuclear strike. call

Nothing is anything-proof.
Posted By: grich Re: "No link to KSU" - 09/07/18 11:04 PM
One of my radio station sites has a Nortel MICS. Almost 15 years ago, lightning struck near the building...blew most of the phones and a couple of station ports. CO lines and power supply were fine. Most of the computers in the building lost their NICs and the core ethernet switch was toast. No power supplies died, protected by layers of surge suppression. We figure the EMP from the lightning was induced into the building's twisted-pair wiring. Stations that didn't die were very short runs to the MICS.

When the site added cable internet and phone later, the cable co didn't bond the coax to the master ground bar, even though it was three feet away. That led to some nastiness a few years later.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help