atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jeffmoss26 help with an old test set - 09/10/12 11:35 AM
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend on Garage Journal-
he found this test set at a garage sale, but it apparently does not get dialtone.
[Linked Image from i1167.photobucket.com]
He was wondering if the earpiece from a standard G handset would work inside the test set. I've never had one, much less taken one apart, so I have come to the experts!
I've got other pics, did not want to load down the post.

Thanks as always!
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: help with an old test set - 09/10/12 12:00 PM
Jeff, that might be sealed. Many of those old ones could not be opened. They were water tight. I Don't see a seam on that. And no to yuor question most of them had a very different type of ear peice.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: help with an old test set - 09/10/12 05:40 PM
Yeah, that is what he thought...
Posted By: Silversam Re: help with an old test set - 09/11/12 12:27 AM
Jeff -

They can be opened (I've opened a few in my time) I seem to remember little nuts & bolts on the sides.. However, the transmitter & receiver are not 500- set standard. As I recall they're the same ones that were in the 300 set (though I could be mistaken). I might have one someplace in the dreaded basement, I'll try to look this week, but in any event they should be available from the places that repair antique phones.

Sam
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: help with an old test set - 09/11/12 12:46 AM
Let me know, Sam. I want to help this guy if I can (translation, he finds nice stuff at garage sales and likes to trade lol)
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: help with an old test set - 09/11/12 01:54 AM
An old pencil dial Butt Set! Just like my first one. smile
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: help with an old test set - 09/11/12 01:58 AM
Jeff:

It is a model 1011-B test set. See figure 12 in this BSP:

click

Before you start dismantling the test set, do some simple tests first.

Take an ohmmeter and see if you have continuity through both leads when the TALK/MON switch is in TALK. The continuity test is the way to start. The xmtr, switch, dial and rcvr are in a simple series circuit. When the switch is in MON, a parallel capacitor across the switch contacts allows listening in to the line.

If not, is the dial usable? Does it turn smoothly and return to the normal position? If you move the dial wheel around, does the meter reading change? Are the cords continuous?

There are eentsy machine screws, washers, and nuts the size of hydrogen atoms holding the two rubber halves together at the top and bottom. The test set is definitely not water-proof or -resistant.

The transmitter unit is an F1 and the receiver unit is an HA1. They are plentiful in the collecting community. They are the components in the F1 handset, part of the 302 telset. It would be unlikely that one of them would be open, but stranger things have been know to occur.

THIS adapter allows the use of a more modern T1 transmitter unit, like the ones in G-series handsets from 500-type sets.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: help with an old test set - 09/11/12 03:20 PM
Thanks guys! I will pass the info along.
Posted By: Telxonator Re: help with an old test set - 10/22/12 11:38 PM
I have one of these, which works ok, except for the dial being a little slow. I tried opening mine, and was hesitant to attempt it, as the rubber it's made of seems really brittle, and I didn't want to break it in two! If your friend is still working on it, tell him to be careful opening it up, as the old rubber housing may crack or break.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help