atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Telxonator Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/22/15 08:57 PM
I have had this old test set since I was a kid, found it in an abandoned warehouse and knew if I didn't rescue it, some scrapper would destroy it.
Ok, here are the flickr links to pics:
overall: [img]https://flic.kr/p/9Z7fmq[/img]

Label: [img]https://flic.kr/p/9Zcr62[/img]

jacks: [img]https://flic.kr/p/9Zcr6p[/img]

I have 1 green test lead for this, and the service tags that were tied to the handle, know it's from the 40's, but don't remember the exact date stamped inside. This was one of the very first items in my collection.

there's one on ebay now for $70, if anyone is interested.
Posted By: Telxonator Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/23/15 08:59 PM
ok, so I found the BSP for it from the TCI library: https://telephonecollectors.info/in...-set-j54701b-701-a-b-711-a-b-740-a-b-c-e

Answers most of my questions about this device, would test the different switches in a mechanical PBX, and some other tests.

Posted By: justbill Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/23/15 09:55 PM
Not sure as I've never seen this test set, but your link to the CD and SD's look like it may have been used for testing from the cord boards.
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/23/15 11:04 PM
If it's what I remember, we called it a "loop and leak" test set, used to test various switches at the switch.
Posted By: Jim Baldwin Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/23/15 11:07 PM
If it's what I remember, we called it a "loop and leak" test set, used to test various switches at the switch.
Posted By: Telxonator Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/24/15 01:03 AM
Yeah, looks like it would activate different parts of the switch individually, and show status, etc. Now I want an old PBX...
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/24/15 01:49 AM
I have a 200 line step switch for sale.

Send me an email and we'll negotiate a quick sale.

info (at) sibta (dot) com
Posted By: Telxonator Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 02/24/15 05:44 AM
That sounds cool, but it's doubtful I could afford it, or come pick it up and haul it back. Maybe some day if I ever get a real museum going.
Posted By: John807 Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 11/03/15 10:46 PM
Ahhh a stepper switch. a handful of steel wool and a burnishing tool, instant overtime. Go ahead tell me you never did or thought about it?
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 11/03/15 11:05 PM
The weapon of choice would have been a handful of iron filings followed by a liberal dose of Hudson River sea water. Often fantasized about it, especially during the Seven Month Strike...but what (some people) did on the eve of a work stoppage was to un-busy all the line-finders that were busied-out for maintenance, and take the busy book home.
Posted By: John807 Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 11/04/15 01:57 AM
We in Jersey were less innovative and steel wool was in every janitors closet. That 7 month strike what year was that? In NJ I remember the strike of the '80's that led to 3%. which led to if you don't like this speed I guarantee you won't like the other one. Then in the 2000's GPS's on the trucks leading to park the truck at a job and take the bus X-mas shopping.
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 11/04/15 03:11 AM
The 7-month strike (1971-2) started out as a typical end-of-contract work stoppage. Then Tricky Dick got involved by freezing prices and wages. We stayed out for seven months because there could legally be no increase. Finally, the feds broke the impasse and allowed us to have a ONE DOLLAR per week raise, so that the Union could save face and claim that they got us a raise in spite of the Crook in the White House.

I managed to survive on unemployment ($90 per week...my rent was $360 a month, so do the math) casual employment doing odd jobs, and on the generosity of friends. The old Italian lady down the block who ran the pizza shop ($0.25 a slice) would make a big pan of baked ziti or lasagna and refuse to take more than a quarter from me for lunch, which was a big plate of the pasta especial del giorno, garlic bread, and a coke. She basically kept me alive through the ordeal.

I've tried to educate my kids and other young folks in the concept of always having more than one skill, because you never know when one job will disappear and you'll need to switch gears quickly to stay alive.

Posted By: John807 Re: Western Electric PBX test set? - 11/04/15 08:00 PM
Same thing I tell mine. When you are willing to do a job no one else wants to, you can charge what you want, as long as you are good at it. Try and find a plumber who specializes in brown gold for less than $125 an hour or more.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help