atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dude old phone cleanup - 11/06/16 06:00 PM
what's good to make an old telephone look better?
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: old phone cleanup - 11/06/16 07:22 PM
Always did a good scrubbing with a household cleaner then polished with Magnolia Glazit spray.
Posted By: Rcaman Re: old phone cleanup - 11/07/16 01:34 AM
Depends on what you think is old. The "Old" phones were made of bakelite. Most were your basic Black, and then there was Black and, of course, black. About the only thing that can bring that kind of plastic back is a good automotive rubbing compound. There are several grades of grit, so be careful and start with a less abrasive compound and, if the scratches and blemishes are proving to be resistant, then move on up to a more abrasive compound.

If your "old" phone is made of a lighter thermoset plastic, Rather Be Fishing gave you the best answer.

Rcaman
Posted By: dude Re: old phone cleanup - 11/07/16 02:39 PM
1980 green 554 set
Posted By: Rcaman Re: old phone cleanup - 11/07/16 03:23 PM
That is plastic and can be cleaned with detergent and Magnolia Glazit spray.

Rcaman
Posted By: MnDave Re: old phone cleanup - 11/29/16 04:37 PM
On a related note, on my old X02's and Candlesticks, if the above doesn't work, I have used JB Weld to repair damaged housings and/or utilized black spray paint applied with a short "spurts" to simulate a powdered finish to spiff them up.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: old phone cleanup - 11/30/16 07:12 AM
I've always been amazed what the regular kitchen dishwasher can do for telephone plastics. Of course, they have to be stripped down of all parts for a thorough cleaning. A lot of times, they come out clean enough to put together as-is. If not, they are good and clean for an application of a cleaning compound. My wife used to get so pissed when she would open the dishwasher and find thirty Merlin phone housings in there!

I always found Johnson's kitchen wax liquid on a rag to work well. When I was a kid in high school refurbishing phones for a local interconnect back in the 70s, one of the guys taught me about it. I'm not sure if that stuff still exists, but it wasn't such a huge commitment to gloss like you get with Glazit. To me, Glazit is like using Armorall. No bueno in my book.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help