atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: ChrisRR Spade terminal crimpers - 12/17/16 01:03 AM
Hey guys, I have a simple question. What kind of crimpers do I buy for putting the little spade tips on for wiring inside the phone itself. Like the ones that come on the old hardwired handset and line cords. I can get the spade tips easy enough, but no clue where to get the special pliers that put them on. I don't want to botch them with linesman pliers. I could solder to them, but that's dumb when there are crimpers to be had.
Posted By: KENB Re: Spade terminal crimpers - 12/17/16 01:24 AM
Google spade tip crimper they come up from $12 to $139
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Spade terminal crimpers - 12/17/16 09:32 AM
I found a reasonably priced set at Oldphoneshop.com. I'll post back after I get them and try them out. I'll let you know if they're any good or not.
Posted By: jeffmoss26 Re: Spade terminal crimpers - 12/20/16 01:03 AM
I got mine years ago from Jameco.
https://www.jameco.com/z/HT-202A-R-...omputer-Pins-Sockets-And-Wire_99443.html
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Spade terminal crimpers - 12/22/16 08:57 AM
Crimpers came yesterday. Once I figured out the correct die/slot/hole to use (it's not as obvious as one would think) they work splendidly. They're not the most comfortable to use on a regular basis, but for fixing the odd hardwired handset or line cord they fit the bill. Phoneco wanted more for a 6 conductor line cord than I paid for the pliers and a pile of tips, so I think it was money well spent.
Posted By: ChrisRR Re: Spade terminal crimpers - 12/22/16 07:01 PM
Jeff, looks like the tool from Jameco is the same one I got from Oldphoneshop. Price from Jameco is better, but I didn't go far enough to see if the shipping charges were different. The money it'll save me has already paid for it. I wish I had a set of these 20 years ago when I was fiddling around with serial cables and other D-sub connectors. Man, I hated making those up, right up there with putting 8P8C's on stranded cat5. (Sometimes you just have to get yourself out of a bind...) I've yet to try the EZ connectors. I have so many of the regular ones that I'll never have to buy another one as long as I live.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help