atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: dmtech Remote Site Firewall Options - 11/03/11 04:33 AM
I've got an inherited Allworx customer (previous dealer no longer around) with a 6x and a single remote site with 5 phones. The remote site is on DSL with a Linksys WRT54GL, and apparently from day 1 they've had intermittent 1-way audio (caller can't hear the Allworx user)whenever there are multiple calls to the remote site or a call is transferred from one remote phone to another. The WRT54GL doesn't allow enough Port Forward entries to do the RTP and SIP port mapping suggested by Allworx for a multiple phone remote site, so we set up a Cisco/Linksys WRV210 that we had on hand. We were able to do all the necessary port mappings, but the 1-way audio was actually worse as it happened pretty much all the time. After that I did some checking and found that the WRV210 has an inherent SIP ALG function that can't be disabled and that 1-way audio is a common problem with that firewall.

The bottom line is that I need to recommend a new firewall and want to be sure that it will work, so I'd like to know if anyone has a make/model that they've used with success in a similar situation. It will need to support a PPPoE connection. They also use wireless in their office so 802.11g wireless support would also be nice.

Thanks.
Posted By: JWRacedog Re: Remote Site Firewall Options - 11/03/11 09:09 AM
In a thread of Oct 30---two threads down from this one-- https://www.sundance-communications.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/47/t/000051.html ---aweaver suggests "Zyxel USG50 or USG100 is our router of choice for use with Allworx. Most of our Allworx installs have one of these routers.

One of our IT partners uses a Barracuda https://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/?L=en on his 6x--and he has a remote phone in Taiwan---seems to work fine. He told me what model it was---but I've forgotten. I'll ask and write it down.
Posted By: telemarv Re: Remote Site Firewall Options - 11/04/11 07:37 AM
Just make sure whatever you use supports QoS so you can prioritize the voice traffic.
Posted By: dmtech Re: Remote Site Firewall Options - 11/17/11 01:23 PM
Thanks for the posts and suggestions. The customer was on a tight budget and needed the router/firewall to also provide G-wireless, so that narrowed the field a bit. Allworx support had no official recommendations but one of their techs directed me to Vocalocity's router compatiblity list. I settled on a Linksys WRP400, which ended up working well without having to make any QoS or SIP ALG config changes. So far so good...
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help