atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Thornhil VOIP - 03/09/05 05:10 AM
Ever hear of 3Com voice over ip system.
Posted By: Punch Down Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 08:52 AM
Ever heard of dis-satisfied customers? Every enduser I've talked to would rather use two tin cans with 100 feet of string. Sorry 3Com.
Posted By: Thornhil Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 10:26 AM
Wow, that bad, Thanks
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 10:28 AM
The funny part is the 3COM system is light years ahead of the Cisco. Gotta love marketing.
Posted By: Milestone Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 10:51 AM
You guys should really take a very hard look at the Zultys, you are going to be seeing a lot of them out there.
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 11:09 AM
Ok, Milestone...but first you have to tell me how to pronounce it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Milestone Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 12:48 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coral Tech:
Ok, Milestone...but first you have to tell me how to pronounce it. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]</font>

Hey Coral,

Just keep your ear to the ground you'll be hearing everybody singing the praises [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 12:50 PM
As long as they can show me how to pronounce it! [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: upstateny Re: VOIP - 03/09/05 05:48 PM
I really liked the nbx itself but couldn't stand 3com and when they made everyone go through the certification process for the second time i dropped them. Never even sold a system since i was so scared and unsure of 3com and their support. Funny part is they cold called me a month or two ago to see if i had any interest in being an nbx dealer - apparently they don't know i was a dealer or remember the pompous arrogant manner that they displayed in our dealings. As for VOIP itself yesterday i made a call from a remote ip phone in an outbuilding 1000' away from the ksu and connected via wireless access points. It then connected via an ip link over the internet to another site in another state, grabbed dial tone from that remote site and made a local phone call. For a period of time it was even crystal clear!! Kind of an interesting application and to have it all come together and work was a fun thing to see.
Posted By: Milestone Re: VOIP - 03/14/05 06:50 PM
Voip is definitely here to stay and it is ready for prime time, improvements in technology and applications and plus the fact that every major provider is jumping on the band wagon has solved a lot of the latency issues.

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
Posted By: Coral Tech Re: VOIP - 03/15/05 04:46 AM
I agree with Milestone. I don't think in some applications it makes sense though. I really hesistate to jump total IP unless it actually makes sense and has some legitimate redundancy. I prefer Hybrid tech for now. PBX systems have a proven 99.999% rate and you can't beat the quality of TDM voice. VOIP still has issues with fax/modems as well as well as having a true 90V ring current on analog lines. I delpoy quite a bit of IP and I can say that it's here to stay...is it equal in quality to traditional phones...negetive. Take a good IP phone sometime and a TDM side by side in real world conditions. You will see what I am talking about.
Posted By: KLD Re: VOIP - 03/15/05 09:03 PM
In this area 3Com saturated school districts, especially those that are rural with multiple locations. The VOIP is cheap, the IT guy at the school looks like a hero to the school board because of the cost ---until --- yep, the school news letter comes out saying the phones aren't really working so e-mail us. Then the data network is too weak to handle the load. Several years ago 3Com dumped hubs and routers at a reduced price to schools, now they're trying it with VOIP. Same poor results.
Posted By: Milestone Re: VOIP - 03/16/05 05:05 AM
No doubt about it the network has to be up to the task and as always it will only be as good as the weakest link. On bigger installs we use VLANs to separate voice and data traffic.
I never really cared too much for the 3com product when we first looked at it when they first came out as NBX they definitely weren't ready for prime time and now there are so many choices.
I agree with Coral that there are still a few rough edges fax over IP definitely one of them on the majority of our jobs analog ports are used for doorphones, paging and lifelines.
The bad news for all of us is that VoIP networks if properly installed require very little maintenance and MAC's are as simple as unplugging your handset and walking over (or in some cases flying) to your new desk and plugging it in. Administration is done through a GUI interface which most IT guys can handle which means less visits from the white truck in the parking lot for the customer btu by the same token they can also be remotely administered so we can tell the customer that in most cases we can correct any issues remotely at an reduced hourly rate with no travel time all I need is a laptop and I can be anywhere which frees up our time for more important jobs like sales

------------------
One stop Voice and Data Solutions VoIP
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help