atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: capitol AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 01:46 PM
I apologize if I confuse anyone with this, but I've never installed a merlin classic, I've only taken them out and replaced them....Here goes. I'm installing a customer provided 410 unit.
He had someone install the cabling and had it terminated on both ends(rj11's & 66 blk). I know I will have to replace the rj11's with 8 pin jacks, but what wires go where. I'll be using 8 pin modular jacks. Can I terminate a patch cord on the on the 66 blk and use the modular end to plug into the system. Again, what wires from the patch cord goes to the station cables on the 66.
Posted By: justbill Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 02:05 PM
You can use 568A and you can use a patch cable to 66 block. All 4 pairs are used.
Doesn't really matter if you use 568A or B as long as both ends are wired the same.
Bill
Posted By: capitol Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 02:23 PM
I didn't realize it was that simple, Thanks
Posted By: MrGemini Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 04:30 PM
Cap, it's not a good idea to punch stranded cable down on a 66 or 110. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
I would recommend getting one of those mini patch panels that mount on the 89 B or D bracket and use patch cords to the control.
It will also make for a cleaner install.
Gem [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: Mark K. Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 05:24 PM
agreed. Even making your own ends with solid cable is a source of trouble. Those 8 pin rj45 to 66 block adapters are the best way to insure no return visits. I think they are wired for the 568B standard.
mark
Posted By: justbill Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/17/04 08:20 PM
Didn't even think about the patch cables being stranded. I'd probably just put mod ends on 4pr, but I like the 12 port patch panel idea, would make for a nice install.
Bill
Posted By: rustynails Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/18/04 06:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by justbill:
You can use 568A and you can use a patch cable to 66 block. All 4 pairs are used.
Doesn't really matter if you use 568A or B as long as both ends are wired the same.
Bill
</font>

Now you know where the 568 standard came from.
Posted By: jjimm Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 06/19/04 04:25 PM
Aren't these patch panels a wee bit pricey (for us little guys..)?

Since I'm a newbie, I have to get this gripe off my chest. It always has bugged me that ATT-Lucent-Avaya-THE COMPANY- made these ksus with the customer in mind, as "Do-it-yourself" systems,so as to not need an installer. Just plug in lines and phones with 100ft or 200 ft line cords... These were not designed for the pro technicians.

Most Merlins and Avayas I see in the field are custom, fast installs-usually messy, with no, as us old phone guys used to say- "craftsmanshhip" (taking pride in your work by doing a neat clean install) involved. Usually line cords cut on half, or such.

Anyway, the patch panels I use seem a bit pricey.. but I use them anyway, and agree with the others who recommend the patch panels.

Ahh, craftsmanship...!
Posted By: direct Re: AT&T Merlin Classic 410 - 07/05/04 01:11 PM
I have found that making a cable from the 66 blk to the cabinet will work 100% if you're using the proper tool and ends. But as the others have said...do it wrong and you'll be back standing at their door saying "I'm baaaaack"
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help