atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: petegerster 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/15/04 11:57 AM
My church has a Partner ACS 206 module Rel 2.0 with 2 telco lines and 6 extensions. The objective is to add automated attendant service with voice mail and one or two additional telco lines.

I have read a fair amount including scanning some of the downloadable Partner ACS manuals, and there seems to be a number of configurations which would meet the objective. Would anyone suggest further reading that might clarify the various choices? Thanks

------------------
Pete
Posted By: dtmf Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/15/04 12:51 PM
There is no such thing as a ACS 206, if you have only one 206 working by itself it will not support VMS, you will need a 2 or 5 slot cab. with a processor and a PC mail or VS or message R1-R7, assuming you are going with a ACS.

Or are you looking at a ACS 3X8 R2 stand alone?

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited October 15, 2004).]
Posted By: petegerster Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/15/04 01:23 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. My description was copied from the Avaya identification sticker on the single module which appears to be bolted to a plywood backing board.

I have no preconceived notion about a solution. I would like to understand the alternatives which are available in terms of functionality and cost. Thanks
Posted By: dtmf Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/15/04 01:44 PM
If indeed it is a 206 stand alone about the only voice mail you can have would be on the lines by your provider. If you want your own voice mail you will have to upgrade, If you only need a small system with VMS you could upgrade to a ACS R6 processor, it will run 3 lines and 8 stations or the new R7 which will run 5 lines and 9 stations, then add a PC mail that will give you 2 ports by 16 mail box's that slides right into the processor. These are both stand alone so you wouldn't need anything else but phones if you wanted to add.

Hope this helps, feel free to call if you need any more info. My number is in my profile.

If you where to go beond the 8 or 9 stations you would need a 2 or 5 slot and some cards.

------------------
| A trusted site for years | System Documents

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited October 15, 2004).]
Posted By: nectec Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/16/04 07:12 PM
Probably the most economical thing for you to do is to upgrade to a Partner ACS 2.0 or higher which gives you 3 outside lines and 8 extensions and get the Partner Voice Messaging PC card that plugs into a pc card slot on the processor module. The voice mail card comes in two sizes large and small, the large can be configured for up to 16 mailboxes and both cards include the auto attendant feature. This will probably be cheaper than buying a two slot carrier and a partner vs mail that works with your existing processor.
Posted By: dtmf Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/16/04 07:34 PM
If your going to upgrade why go to a R2? You can get good deals on the R6 now that the R7 is out and they are still new in the box. Also I would go with the large PC mail for storage reasons. That's just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited October 16, 2004).]
Posted By: nectec Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/16/04 11:34 PM
I recommended the R2 as a minimum purely for economic reasons. Since he mentioned this was for a church they may be on a pretty strict budget. The R6 or R7 is definitely the best choice.
Posted By: upstateny Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/18/04 06:35 AM
Call a couple of your local Avaya Business Partners and get quotes - i just gave a simlar quote to a local church and a new processor and small voice mail should run around $2,000 installed with training and warranty - you could upgrade the voice mail to 16 mailboxes or even the Partner Messaging and still not spend a ton of money.
Posted By: petegerster Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/18/04 08:21 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their helpful replies. As I now understand it we will have to deep-six the current controller and unless we want to replace the telephones we should consider only Avaya equipment. The configuration would be Partner ACS (R6 or R7) together with either PARTNER Voice Messaging Release 3.0 (PVM R3) Large or PARTNER Messaging Release 1.0 (PMR1). I will keep this in mind as I try to better understand the alternatives.

I was hoping that I would be able to find a document or documents which would explicate this subject including multi-vendor, justification, puts & takes, configuration and costs. Ever the dreamer!.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/18/04 06:57 PM
If you use a 5-slot carrier for the ACS and the Messaging, you will be able to use your 206 as a module in the system, adding an additional 2 lines and 6 extensions.

Don't use a 2-slot carrier! The modules stay too close together and against the wall for proper ventilation.
Posted By: petegerster Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/18/04 08:00 PM
Thanks for that information. dtmf, in a note above, indicates that the 2X6 206 module which is now installed will not live happily with messaging modules. Apparently there is a 3X8 processor (R6?) which will do the job.
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/18/04 09:07 PM
Pete, you indicated that you were upgrading to an R6 or R7 ACS along with Partner Messaging. In this situation, the ACS becomes the processor, and the 206 modules that currently make up your entire phone system can go into the carrier and become expansion modules for the ACS. With an ACS R6 and 5-slot carrier, this would give you a 7x20 capacity (9x21 with an R7)
Posted By: dtmf Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/19/04 06:27 AM
petegerster, What I said was that you can't add VMS to the 206. You can use it as an expansion module with a R6 or R7 in a 5 slot carrier. Tommy is correct, don't get a 2 slot.
Posted By: petegerster Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/19/04 07:16 AM
These posts are really useful in helping me to get my arms around the solution. I sure appreciate your patience.

As I understand it now, for a "2001 Honda Accord" kind of solution, I could acquire an R6 and a 5 slot carrier, reuse the currently installed 206 and add voice messaging either in the form of a PCMCIA card (cheaper) or an additional ACS module (more functionality). This would provide for a maximum of 5 CO lines and 14 extensions.

The questions that arise in my mind concerning the above configuration are:
(1)Does this compromise future expandibility relative to an R7?
(2) Would the R7 be simpler to administer?
(3)Should I have any concern for reliability relative to R7?
(4)Is the information at

https://www.avaya.com/ac/common/index.jhtml?location=M1H1005G1007F2028P3076N4512

the best source for a description and comparison for my voice messaging options.

Thanks again for your patience.
Posted By: dtmf Re: 206 Rel 2.0 Upgrade path - 10/19/04 07:24 AM
If your going to upgrade to R6, and want to go to a R7 in the future then you would just replace the R6 with the R7 and reprogram. If you are thinking that then I would suggest just going with the R7 in the first place.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help