atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: VentureComm Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/19/05 07:26 AM
FYI: I had a customer with a Partner ACS 6.0 who called me up complaining of a "clicking noise". While on the phone with them I could here the noise every 2-3 seconds. We checked to see if it was only on the CO lines but found the noise between extensions as well. They tried rebooting the system and the noise was still there. Not long after, the noise was happening so often I could barely hear the auto attendent. I checked the forum and was directed to a possible processor starting to fail. When I arrived at the site, to replace the processor I noticed boxes stored in front and on TOP of the carrier. It's amazing how well the system works with AIR FLOW!!! No new processor needed, just some direction to employees on good housekeeping.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/19/05 07:28 AM
Yep, the cooler the better.
Posted By: Test-ok Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/19/05 09:09 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">just some direction to employees on good housekeeping. </font>
That's when you charge a consultation fee. $ 60.00 an hour, one hour minimum. Mileage may vary [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
Posted By: XConnect Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/19/05 11:01 AM
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Cust was complaining the the "Replace battery with power on" msg would not go away from the display @ ext #10. They replaced the batteries a couple of times, msg would not go away. Phone system is located in a HOT boiler room. I suggeted we move the system to a different, cooler room. Have not had the problem since. System was so hot you could barely touch it!
Posted By: hbiss Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/19/05 02:07 PM
Can't tell you how many processors, VM's and even entire systems I have replaced because of high temperatures and blocked air flows. Seems you guys caught these in the nick of time. They will start doing wierd unpredictable things as you noted when the temp goes above about 90 deg in the room. If you don't take care of the heat problem right away things turn to toast real quick and replacement is the only option.

-Hal
Posted By: junkman Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/21/05 09:36 AM
I always recommend they put the system where it's comfortable for a person year-round. No boiler rooms or attics.
Posted By: dtmf Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/21/05 10:01 AM
Guess we are spoiled most all our systems [all manufactures]go in the network room with air conditioning.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 05/27/05 07:16 AM
always take my label the carrier NOT A SHELF with a up arrow on all three sides
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 06:38 AM
I know this thread is two years old, but I am researching the same problem and running out of ideas.

Our system:
Partner ACS R7 Processor
Partner 18D Euro Phones
3910 Cordless Phone
Large voicemail card
Remote access card with backup
P6000 Music On Hold

Problem: Clicking noise on x10 and x11, sometimes on x15, both while on phone line and on an extension to extension call. usually one click, then a second click within 5 seconds, then a gap that could be several minutes. The click is similar to the sound of hanging up, and our customers sometimes think we did.

Partner ACS R7 Processor and most extensions are in an air conditioned office. Processor is wall mounted, with arrows pointing up for good circulation. Nothing is blocking air flow to the unit.

What I have tried so far that has NOT removed the click:
- Swapped Partner ACS R7 Processor with a new unit (old one is still under warranty).
- Swapped phones with non-clicking extensions.
- Ran new Cat 5 wiring to the clicking extensions.
- Sent x11 to a different part of the office, just in case an electrical device close to the original cabling was causing the clicking.
- Unplugged Music On Hold unit from processor.
- Completely disconnected Avaya 3190 cordless, unplugged base unit and charging unit, and removed batteries from handset.
- Unplugged refrigerator that sits within 2' of processor.
- Swapped UPS Battery Backup with a different unit.

Interesting twist: Took original processor home to test off-site, along with two phones. NO CLICKING. It is definitely being caused by something in this office.

Other possibilities I have not tested yet:

- Alarm system control box 3' from processor.
- Microwave oven 3' from processor, plugged in but not being used.
- A/C System, although I was just on the line and heard a click while the A/C was up and continuously running.
- Electrical circuit breaker box 4' from processor. Not sure how to test for this.
- Laser printer 6' from processor, sitting in energy saver mode most of the time.
- DSL Modem and router 8' from processor.

Any ideas you have will be sincerely appreciated, as we are getting really frustrated.

Thank you in advance.
Bart
Posted By: hbiss Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 09:31 AM
Since it's only related to two or three extensions I would suspect wiring especially since you ruled out most everything else. And yes I know that you replaced it but it still could be subject to RFI.

Have you tried connecting x10 and 11 directly to the ACS port? That's the first thing I would do.

-Hal
Posted By: dexman Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 09:47 AM
In the list of actions taken, you mentioned:

"Sent x11 to a different part of the office, just in case an electrical device close to the original cabling was causing the clicking."

Do you mean that some you moved patch cords so that extension #11 was sent to a different location (to an extension that was not having any problems to begin with) and the problem followed along with extension #11? :confused:
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 10:11 AM
Hal - I ran a 50-foot cat-5 cable from the x10 port on the ACS directly to my Euro 18D, simply laying it on the floor all the way down the hall so it was not near the existing wiring. It still clicked.

Dexman - Cabling for desk A was formerly plugged into the x16 port on the ACS. I moved it from there to the x11 port on the ACS, and suddenly desk A had clicking on the line. The person who moved from desk A to desk B, and kept x16 the whole time, has never heard clicking on the line.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 10:19 AM
"50 foot cat 5"

do you crimp your own cables or is this store bought ?

my money is on poor crimps

plug a factory made cable cat 5 or plain 'ole silver satin from the 18d directly into the port on the processor and see what happens
Posted By: dexman Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 10:51 AM
I agree with Skip. The patch cords for the 3 extensions seem to be the only constants.
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 10:54 AM
Skip - Yes, I crimped all cables myself. And yes, I have made mistakes and had to re-crimp, so I thought you might have had it pegged.

I rounded up a 20 or 30 foot store-bought Cat 5, plugged it directly into the x10 port, but it still clicked.

I was side-by-side with an x18 phone at the same desk, and here is what I tested:

x11 calling my cell: Click on all 3 outgoing lines.
x18 calling my cell: No click, and I only tried one line.
x11 calling x18 via intercom: No click. However, we have heard clicks on intercom in the past.
Posted By: dexman Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 11:11 AM
One thing that has me concerned is having the processor located near a breaker panel, microwave and fridge.

Just for giggles and test purposes, could the processor be mounted elsewhere to see if the problem disappears?
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/28/07 11:15 AM
Dexman - Yes, near all three. It isn't the fridge or microwave, though, because I unplugged them and tested it. I will test an alternative location next.

Thank you!
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/29/07 09:19 PM
Consider using your "toner" (inductive amplifier) as a poor man's way to locate the noise source. Fluorescent lighting may also be to blame.

What's the story on the PBX ground?
Posted By: The Grim Reaper Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 09/30/07 08:19 AM
- Laser printer 6' from processor, sitting in energy saver mode most of the time.
Your circuit may be overloaded. Try plugging in the Partner in another circuit in another room using an extension. Also suggest you put a meter in the same outlet as the Partner and see if there are any voltage dips when these large appliances come on.

Also, just because you have a UPC doesn't mean it's stil working. Batteries do get weak and go bad. Easiest way to test a UPC: unplug it. Does the attached equipment stay up? The meter is also useful here.

Also, the laser printer, fax, microwave and refrigerator should never be on the same circuit as the Partner or any electronic equipment. These all have a very large current draw, especially as they start, and at the same time they put out a burst of static.
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 10/03/07 06:41 AM
Dexman - Moved it to different locations within the office.

dagwoodsystems - Fluorescent lighting is off. I have the processor grounding screw connected to the ground at the electrical outlet. Is this the proper method?

Grim - Tested alternative circuit, swapped out UPS, unplugged laser printer and other appliances.

The click remained.

You guys may kill me for this next part:

Because the click only happens on x10 and x11, I had ruled out a phone line problem. Today I unplugged our main phone line from the processor, connected it to a regular phone, dialed out and heard the clicking. I immediately called Embarq repair service and scheduled a service call - and the customer service rep could hear the clicks on her end.

Could I have spent hours and hours chasing a problem that wasn't there? We'll find out after Embarq visits. I'll let you know.

Thank you again for all of your ideas.

Bart
Posted By: Frank_DaFoneguy Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 10/03/07 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Bart57266:
Could I have spent hours and hours chasing a problem that wasn't there?
The problem was there, you were just chasing the wrong tail.

This is a great lesson in the belief that, when troubleshooting, begin at the lowest common denominator. Isolate phone line from system, if trouble remains in system, troubleshoot system. If trouble ends when line is removed, pass it off to telco.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 10/03/07 09:52 AM
Could I have spent hours and hours chasing a problem that wasn't there?

That's why there are dealers. Had you bought the system from one they would have resolved the problem in a few minutes. Consider what will happen if your system goes down. How much business will you lose while you try to figure it out yourself? Suppose you need to replace something? Will that internet guy come right over with a replacement?

-Hal
Posted By: Bart57266 Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 10/03/07 09:58 AM
You're right, Hal.

One of my faults is that I am too much of a do-it-yourself kind of guy. Projects usually eat up more time than I expect.

I'm trying to change, though, and will consider a dealer next time. Thanks for the input.

Bart
Posted By: hbiss Re: Severe Crackling noise resolved - 10/03/07 12:01 PM
I'm trying to change, though...

And we're here to help.

-Dr. Hal, RCTT
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help