atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: mhunter partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 12:13 PM
I have an AC 3.0 system in my house with six euro6 phones, and one euro 18D phone. It's worked fine since I got it about 2 years ago or so. This morning I walked into my office and the 18D is dead, no lights, no display, and when I pick up the receiver I hear nothing. The 18D is of course plugged into ext 10.
If I plug the 18D into another port it is still dead. If I plug any other phone into ext 10 they work just fine. Even my old MLS-12D which is kind of flaky and yellowed works.

I took it apart and there are no obvious components that are bad. Any debugging clues here? There are two bridge rectifiers inside, and both are producing a DC output.

Any help is appreciated before I plunk down some more cash to replace it... :-(
Posted By: hbiss Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 02:16 PM
Pretty simple. I would think you need a new phone.

-Hal
Posted By: mhunter Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 03:18 PM
Yeah, that's what i figured... The bridge rectifier on the w/b pairs is outputting around 42 VDC, the bridge on the other pairs is only outputting 8 VDC. When I unsolder the output terminals, it goes back to 42 something VDC. So something on the set is pulling it down.

Love the Avaya quality.. :-(
Posted By: mdaniel Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 03:31 PM
If you got your ACS R.3 a couple of years ago then you either bought it used or someone lied to you about how old it really is.
So that Euro 18-D could be 8 to 10 years old with who knows what kind of treatment before you got it.
Posted By: hbiss Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 07:15 PM
Love the Avaya quality..

You bought it used and you are complaining about quality. Not only don't you know how old it is or where its been, it owes you nothing as far as I can see. This time buy a NEW phone.

-Hal
Posted By: mdaniel Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/10/07 07:33 PM
Amen brother Hal..........Amen!
Posted By: merlinman Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/11/07 08:57 PM
You may be able to gather a hint as to it's manufacture date by looking at, and posting all the numbers on the "ORIGINAL" sticker, if it has one.

But I am in agreement with all others, buy another one.

There are very few things you can fix by taking it apart.

Mostly, you will find that you have more parts left over than when you started.

In fact, I have found that after I take enough of these apart, I tend to have enough parts left over to make a whole new set.
Originally posted by mhunter:
This morning I walked into my office and the 18D is dead, no lights, no display, and when I pick up the receiver I hear nothing. The 18D is of course plugged into ext 10.
If I plug the 18D into another port it is still dead. If I plug any other phone into ext 10 they work just fine. Even my old MLS-12D which is kind of flaky and yellowed works.
You *are* testing the 18D with a known good line cord, right? I see more more bad line cords causing "dead" phones than bad phones.

-Ilena
Posted By: hbiss Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/14/07 07:26 PM
Good point there Ilena and welcome to the board!

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: partner 18D died in ACS 3.0 last night - 02/14/07 07:48 PM
yea , sometimes it easy to overlook the basics
OK , maybe off the subject here but I'm having problems with an extension on a merlin on an etr card, speaker phone has a loud 'click' but if u pick up the reciever its all clear. Its not the phone, plugged into port with test phone and all is same... (have a few ports in the system that we've deemed "bad") had an open ext.. on different etr card, and this ext was all good until we copied it from old port.. like it followed the ext #... I'm sure u'll all tell me REBOOT and i will in the morning but i thought i'd see if any1 has had similar* probs.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help