atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: DT98 UPS size for Magix - 08/02/07 01:21 PM
I have a one cabinet Magix going in soon and need some help sizing a UPS. I only need a safe KW or KVA estimate and I can size batteries from there to get UPS run time. I really only want to eliminate the outages up to a few minutes, maybe 5.

Cabinet will be equipped for 8 incoming POTS lines, T1 card, 16 digital stations, 16 analog stations, and Avaya Messaging R4.0 - 4 port.

Looks like a couple of ways to config this and use 5 slots either way. 2 each 4X12, 1 each 0x16, T1 card and R4 messaging or...1 each 800GSLS, 1 each 0x24, 1 each 0x16, T1 card and R4 messaging.

I was told the size should be 2KVA but that seems a little on the large size (my guesstimate only).

I don't have the equipment yet so don't have the manuals.

Will someone give me their recommendation please?

About me by the way, I started with South Central Bell in '79 in Ky, was forced to LA, got booted in '83 with about 100 other guys. Worked for an interconnect for couple of years, came back home to TN and had my own company for 15 years and now the Telecom Mgr for a large company. Love phones, don't like what's happened to the industry...pet peeve...coiled handset cords..hard for me to walk past one. Thanks, Dennis
Posted By: EV607797 Re: UPS size for Magix - 08/02/07 01:33 PM
That "guesstimate" seems very high. It's the system's power supply that actually determines the VA load, not the cards. You should be able to support this configuration with a 700VA unit for such a short time frame. Why not visit APC's Website (www.APC.com) and use their sizing calculator?
Posted By: ipofficeguy Re: UPS size for Magix - 08/02/07 03:13 PM
Avaya\'s UPS Calculator wizard

The results it spits out are for a specific UPS but they also include the power rating.
Posted By: DT98 Re: UPS size for Magix - 08/02/07 03:25 PM
Ed, IpOfficeGuy,
Thank you for the fast replies. I don't know why I didn't think of these things...dooh...I know the p/s rating is all I need...dooh...and I know APC has a rating calc on their board...I'm getting old and been hanging around computer guys and VoIP too long... LOL.. just kiddin ya'll.
Thanks again, this helped me past my "senior" moment!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help