atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: spoty Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 09:37 AM
I need help to convert a DID number in our main office to a local number in another part of town and make this appear as a local number for that town. In other words, our main DID number starts with 646 area code but I would like to convert this area DID code to a local number for use in our branch that has a local area code of 732. I know this can be accomplished in the Switch but I am lost in programming this into our Switch. We are using Communication Manager 3.0. I would really appreciate any help from anyone who can help point me in the right direction. Many thanks.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 09:46 AM
Probably the easiest way to do this is have your service provider take a 732 number and RCF it to wherever you want. Works like an 800 number.

-Hal
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 10:04 AM
So you want to take 646-XXX-1111 and forward it to 732-XXX-2222?
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 10:06 AM
You might be able to convince you local provider to break that particular number away from the DID group, then set it up with RCF. I know of several companies who ordered 100 or 200 DID line groups, but upon powering up the switches, became aware that they were "missing" some of the individual numbers, because prior to the establishment of the DID groups, other customers had been assigned those few numbers. The local company did not want to annoy the established customers by asking them to relinquish the numbers, so the DID customer got a little refund for the missing terminations.

Explaining what happened in that case is the easy part; explaining this whole story to a (hopefully) sympathetic clerk, and convincing them to break the number out of the group will be the hard part.

Just be aware of the pitfalls of doing this: no longer will the rest of the departments be able to reach that particular number by using internal dialing protocols as is probably being done now. It will be programmed and treated just like any othe POTS line.

Sounds like a good plot line for "Telephone Mission Impossible." Please keep us posted as to your results. It will help all of us if a successful precedent is set.
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 10:31 AM
Yes Liquidvw. I want to take 646-XXX-1111 and forward it to 732-XXX-2222. The main reason is that we want our customers in that town to dial just their local number, avoid Long Distance charges and thereby making them believe that the number is a local number to them. In actual fact, this is a DID local only to our main branch, but other would have been a long distance number to the branch where we want this done. Sorry if I have managed to confuse you. We are using this DID numbers for our Genifax for our customers. I am not sure if this is done in Public Uknown, ARS digit conversion or AAR analysis.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.....
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 11:37 AM
OK. There are several ways to do this.
I would use option 1 as it won't use a RTU port, but either will work.

1. Create a VDN with extension 1111. Assign that VDN a vector. Then set the vector to:

wait 0 sec heaing ringback
route to 9 1 732-XXX-2222 with cov = Y if unconditional
stop

2. Create a virtual or x port station. Then assign an unused cover path set to 1 ring and point 1 to rX. Where X is a open slot on your 'cha cov remote' form. On you 'cha cov remote' form enter the 9 1 732-XXX-2222 number.
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/27/07 12:51 PM
Thanks for the advice Liquidvw! I will try this out as soon as I get back in the office and I will let you know how this works out...
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 08:55 AM
Apparently, I think what needs to be done in this case it to assing the extension to UDP and perhapds configure this in the digit conversion features of CM. I am still not able to get this working but all indiactions points to doing this in aar digit conversion. I just thought I should put this out there. Perhaps, we can brainstorm some more. I am conviced this can be done by digit conversion. Thanks.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 09:13 AM
The options I gave you above is the simplest way to do this.
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 09:28 AM
I think the trick is to program a DID extension which has a digit conversion of a 5 digit extension into UDP in communication manager. Again, I still need help in doing this in CM. Any help will be very useful and much appreciated. Thanks. eek
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 09:56 AM
I don't understand. Why don't you just define this DID extension as "X" hardware (and the appropriate COS) and then RCF it to the number in question? You can do this from any extension with Console Permissions.
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 09:58 AM
I just got this fixed and working! The deal is to do a "cha uniform-dialplan x" and then put in the 5 digit DID extension and specify aar in CM. And then it worked. Thanks to everyone for your help. Especially liquidvw. More grease to your elbow. Thanks.
Posted By: liquidvw Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 03:54 PM
That will work, but if you keep doing that you will end up with extensions all over the place. Best of luck keeping track of all them.

I worked at a place once that had 10 locations in the NJ. When someone moved from location to location they would take there DID with them. It was very difficult to figure out what DID's were where and what DID's were open to use.
Posted By: spoty Re: Area Code Conversion - 08/31/07 04:36 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. But remeber I mentioned we are doing this for Genifax and not for individual persons. We have a bunch of Fax-to-Desktops for users in our environment.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help