atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: MOPAR Partner Unified Messaging and Windows XP - 09/27/07 09:05 AM
Does anyone know how to get a Partner Messaging R7 to perform Unified messaging with Windows XP.
I need HELP!!!!! Thank you
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner Unified Messaging and Windows XP - 09/27/07 10:00 AM
Read the topic below this one- "Help Setting Up SMTP..."

-Hal
Posted By: MOPAR Re: Partner Unified Messaging and Windows XP - 09/28/07 08:09 AM
hbiss,
While I do appreciate the reply, the info provided really doesn't tell me much. The answers that I am looking for are; Will unified messaging on the Partner Messaging R7 work with Windows XP Pro (any SP version) and what do I need to do to make it work. Thanks
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner Unified Messaging and Windows XP - 09/28/07 09:14 AM
I guess you missed the part about needing Microsoft Exchange running on that machine or a separate server.

-Hal
Microsoft Exchange is not required if the Avaya documentation is correct. Smaller businesses may use an SMTP server instead of an Exchange server. There is a section "Using the Unified Messaging Application with an SMTP Server" starting on page 20 of the Unified Messaging Application Installation and Configuration Guide that should be useful. I haven't setup Partner Messaging with an SMTP server and so I hope that this information publish by Avaya is correct and helps.

This guide can be found at https://support.avaya.com by clicking on "Installation, Migrations, Upgrades and Configurations" then clicking on "PARTNER® Messaging" then clicking on "Unified Messaging Application Installation and Configuration Guide" and finally clicking on the file type that you want: PDF or ZIP.

Please let us know how this works out. Thank you.

-Rob
What the exchange server does is "unify" the email with the voice mail. If you delete the email, the voice mail is also deleted, and vice versa. With the simple SMTP setup, you just get a carbon copy of the voice mail in your email.
A vanilla SMTP server won't accomodate the cool features that come with true UM like "Reply To Delete". A reply to your UM email kills the message in PM mailbox...pretty cool. Why listen to the message--and manage it--in email, and then have to do the same thing when you log into Parter Messaging, right?

Someone check my thoughts about this...I might be getting confused with DuVoice.

The integration is easiest (but not always easy) with Microsoft Exchange. I've hit a wall with things like Suse UNIX's "Open Exchange", which is supposed to behave like Microsoft Exchange. That is NOT to say that there's anything wrong with the Suse implementation of Exchange...only that Avaya's UM software was written specifically with Microsoft in mind.
Very interesting! I checked the documentation at avaya.com that is mentioned above. It is useful as far as it goes, but does not provide any of the details about how to set up the unified messaging. It just says to refer to the online documentation. I guess this means the documentation that is built into to unified messaging program. Since I don't have the unified messaging program, I can't give you any line-by-line advice. If some body wanted to send me the program (if that is not against the rules), I could install it and have a look for you.
Since this is published and made available by Avaya, I think it is safe to post how to download the Unified Messaging software. It is available at https://support.avaya.com by clicking on "Downloads" then clicking on "PARTNER® Messaging" then clicking on "PARTNER Messaging 7.0 Unified Messaging Application" and finally clicking on the "Download (ZIP)" link.

-Rob
Here are the values I suggest you try:

Domain Name= the undotted name of your Windows domain if you are in a domain; otherwise the undotted name of your computer, e.g. mydomain or mycomputer NOT mydomain.com or mycomputer.com.

If [email protected] is a valid email address that can send mail out from your site using the password 1234, then,

User Account Name = testuser

and

User Account Password = 1234

and

SMTP Server Name(s) = example.com

Here is the manual.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help