atcomsystems.ca/forum
We have an old voicemail system hooked up to our Merlin Legend 7.0 V10.0 CKE4 (direct connect using the WinSPM V6.0.

We would like the Auto Attendant to answer every call on the first ring. It used to do this, but we had a power outage and it stopped doing it now?

It's a white box DOS PC, with the label COMDIAL on the front. When we run the voicemail it says "Small Office Call Processing System, v.82, AT&T Merlin Lengend Integration." Does anyone know the correct model # of this system? I thought it was called the Key Voice 8.2? The vendor we bought it from is out of business. Another phone tech came by and tried to program it, but couldn't figure it out. I posted on Tek-Tips but was referred here as the expert board.

Thanks for your help in advance!
The ringing is set up through the phone system, not the voicemail. I would first check your Legend programming to make sure that ringing is indeed set to go to the voicemail, in case it was lost or corrupted during the outage. If it appears to be set correctly, see if you can call into the voicemail with the intercom and see at all if it answers.

Small Office Call Processing System is the same as Key Voice's Corporate Office Processing System. Key Voice has always powered Comdial voicemails, and around 2000 Comdial simply acquired the company, so the names have changed slightly but the software is the same. You happen to have version 8.2 and the latest version is 8.5.
Originally posted by hacky:
The ringing is set up through the phone system, not the voicemail. I would first check your Legend programming to make sure that ringing is indeed set to go to the voicemail, in case it was lost or corrupted during the outage. If it appears to be set correctly, see if you can call into the voicemail with the intercom and see at all if it answers.
Thanks for your response.
Another person had looked at our legend call groups and he said it looked fine.
The Auto-Attendant does answer but not until the 6th or 7th ring, which annoys the heck out of our callers. It does this every time, not just occasionally. What is strange is it used to be OK, so I suspect during the outage somehow the Merlin got corrupted? Or the tech programmed the system wrong.
The order it should be going is:
1. Call comes in
2. Auto Attendant answers
3. If caller pushes 0, it goes into the customer service group for human answer

----- Site: DM Label 708. Captured: 01/28/08 -----
DIRECT GROUP CALLING INFORMATION

Group # : 770 Group Type : IntegrtdVMI
Call Distribution Type : LINEAR

PryAnn No. EXT # LABEL
Secondary Announcement Ext # :
Time Between Delay Announcements: 0
Repeat Secondary Announcement: No

Message Waiting Station :

Queue Control Limit: 2
Calls_in_queue Threshold 1: 1
Calls_in_queue Threshold 2: 1
Calls_in_queue Threshold 3: 1
External Alert ext # :
Overflow Threshold (#) : 1
Overflow Threshold (Time): 0
Prompt Based Overflow Option: No
Overflow to DGC group # :

Group Coverage : 30

Member No. EXT # LABEL
1 7156 AUDIX 1
2 7157 AUDIX 2
3 7158 AUDIX 3
4 7159 AUDIX 4

LINES : 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 817 818
: 819 820

Group Priority: : 4
Support Group: :

Home Group(s)/Priority :

Group # : 771 Group Type : AutoLogin
Call Distribution Type : CIRCULAR

PryAnn No. EXT # LABEL

External Alert ext # :
Overflow Threshold (Time): 1
Overflow to DGC group # : 772

Group Coverage :

Member No. EXT # LABEL

LINES :

Group Priority: : 4

Home Group(s)/Priority :

Group # : 7920 Group Type : AutoLogin
Call Distribution Type : CIRCULAR

PryAnn No. EXT # LABEL

Queue Control Limit: 99
External Alert ext # :
Overflow Threshold (Time): 1
Overflow to DGC group # : 770

Group Coverage :

Member No. EXT # LABEL
1 138 OPERATR

LINES :

Group Priority: : 16

Home Group(s)/Priority :

----------------------------------- ANNOTATION -----------------------------------
If you dial 770, does voice mail answer?

If you dial each VM extension (7156, 7157, 7158, 7159) does VM answer?

And does it answer immediately or after a delay?
Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
If you dial 770, does voice mail answer?

If you dial each VM extension (7156, 7157, 7158, 7159) does VM answer?

And does it answer immediately or after a delay?
Yes, when I dial 770 it answers after ONE ring.
Same for 7156, 7157, 7158, 7159, all answer after exactly ONE ring (which is the setting inside the Comdial box).
Well, let's dissect the Legend programming:

Group # : 770 Group Type : IntegrtdVMI
Call Distribution Type : LINEAR

770 is the pilot number for VM, the group knows to send "mode codes" when a member of the group answers, and it hunts from the 1st member down to the 4th member. Good so far.

PryAnn No. EXT # LABEL

External Alert ext # :
Overflow Threshold (Time): 0
Overflow to DGC group # :

Group Coverage : 30

That's all normal, no unusal settings here. Phones with voice mail get added to Coverage Group 30 to be answered by VM

Member No. EXT # LABEL
1 7156 AUDIX 1
2 7157 AUDIX 2
3 7158 AUDIX 3
4 7159 AUDIX 4

Here's the extension numbers of the individual VM ports. Looks like the Comdial replaced an Audix. Each one is answering, so we're good here

LINES : 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 817 818
: 819 820

The lines are set to ring directly to the group. That's good.

So, I don't see any irregularities in the Legend setup.

Are you receiving the calls via the Copper lines, 801 through 820? Or have you switched to a PRI?

You might try going into the Maintenence screen of WinSPM, busy out and restore each of the VM ports.

(p.s., used to live and work in Covina, still have family in business there! Small world!)
Is the phone system in night mode?
btw, the vm system is a KeyVoice Small Office Lite. A very common system and docs available on the web
Originally posted by FixPhones:
Is the phone system in night mode?
The voicemail system is in "day" mode, but I've tried changing the setting to both day and night but it still doing the same thing.

It answers with the "day" Auto Attendant message (after six rings, that is).
The lines are set to ring directly to the group. That's good.

So, I don't see any irregularities in the Legend setup.

Are you receiving the calls via the Copper lines, 801 through 820? Or have you switched to a PRI?

You might try going into the Maintenence screen of WinSPM, busy out and restore each of the VM ports.

(p.s., used to live and work in Covina, still have family in business there! Small world!) [/QB]
Hmm... What is a PRI? We have a T1 SuperTrunk that is hooked up to our phone system, the calls go through there.

Can you help me with instructions on how to "busy out" those ports? I and tried to do it but couldn't figure out how to in WinSPM. Thanks.

I'd be happy to get a tech who can fix it in, but so far we've had three come by and they didn't know how to fix it, and we still got charged.
We have a T1 SuperTrunk that is hooked up to our phone system, the calls go through there.

If your incoming calls come In on q Super Trunk, the phone company is sending "digits" for the Legend to route to. You need to find out what those digits are, if there is any "digit manipulation" going on in the Legend's rooting tables (xxx comes in, but Legend sends to zzz instead)then when you know what extension it routes to, you can figure out why it takes brings to cover to voice mail. I think you mentioned 399 answered with the Auto Attendant? Immediatly, or delayed?

You really do need a tech to look into this one, or someone like our own Merlin Man to connect remotely.
If I dial 339, then it goes to the Auto Attendant after exactly one ring.
What's weird is that the Super Trunk has been there for over five years, but just a few months ago we've been having this problem... Nothing has really changed except the power outage one time and we had a tech in to fix it. I think he may have screwed up the group settings on rings (because we want the customer service reps to get the calls if the caller dials '0'). Their extensions ring for six times I think so maybe this programming is the same as the Auto Attendant???

BTW, who's the Merlin Man?

Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
We have a T1 SuperTrunk that is hooked up to our phone system, the calls go through there.

If your incoming calls come In on q Super Trunk, the phone company is sending "digits" for the Legend to route to. You need to find out what those digits are, if there is any "digit manipulation" going on in the Legend's rooting tables (xxx comes in, but Legend sends to zzz instead)then when you know what extension it routes to, you can figure out why it takes brings to cover to voice mail. I think you mentioned 399 answered with the Auto Attendant? Immediatly, or delayed?

You really do need a tech to look into this one, or someone like our own Merlin Man to connect remotely.
Talked to Jack (Merlin Man) a few days ago. He mentioned having to spend a week or so in the hospital so I expect that's where he is. You guys are going to have to figure this one out on your own or wait till he is back.

Better yet get rid of that Key Voice or whatever it is and replace it with a Merlin Messaging. At least you will be able to find people to support it because it's designed to work with your system.

-Hal
DM when I mentioned Night Mode I meant your phone system. The Voicemail is not the issue here it is your phone system.

Not sure why 2 Mods and an Admin has let this thread go as long as it has already. You really need to contact your phone vendor. The help you require is beyond what can be accomplished at this website.

Replacing your Voicemail would NOT solve this issue. This is a phone system issue, nothing to do with Voicemail.
PM sent to dmlabel. Blue suit and red cape are now out of the dry cleaners...
We already arranged a new tech to come out yesterday before the other messages...

I'll report back on whether he can accomplish what he claims he could after he's done.
Replacing your Voicemail would NOT solve this issue. This is a phone system issue, nothing to do with Voicemail.

My point was that an Avaya tech would be more inclined to solve the problem if he weren't using an after market messaging system. I know I wouldn't want to spend an hour playing with that Legend knowing that I know nothing about Key-Voice. If I can't get it to work I've been there for free because in such cases the customer isn't going to pay.

Not sure why 2 Mods and an Admin have let this thread go as long as it has already.

Good point. I though about putting the kibosh on it yesterday but I felt the information here isn't going to be of much use to anybody else. We have gone way beyond what the purpose of this board is for, that being providing end user help with end user issues. Clearly this is not the case here.

dmlabel, you need to contact a local dealer at this point or work with one of our mods privately. We can't help you in the open forums any longer.

-Hal
OK, the tech came and now he professes he doesn't know Key Voice, when on the phone he said he did... At least he didn't charge us.

I'm giving Dag a call now...
I hate to say I told you so but... I told you so.

-Hal
We had a company where there were 2 operators and only way to control night mode was to have 1 operator set have night mode button on all the time,this way main operator could control night mode and have system answer 1 ring at night otherwise system rang 6 times for day mode, Maybe its as simple as having a secondary operator's night button on? I mention this because you said same greeting for day or night.Sounds like 2 sets need to have button on.
John
Jacktel, you are the man!
It works!
After we put the Merlin system into "night mode" it works great! Now it answers after exactly one ring! During the day it still answers to the regular day greeting even though it says "night mode." At night it correctly plays the night message. The power outage must have knocked off the night mode programming on the Merlin.
Thank you!!!!
hbiss I have removed several Avaya, Lucent etc. voicemail systems and installed a 3rd party system. Many customers hate having to put in their Ext. number then password, rather than simply putting in password.
Can also have more features.

I suppose in the end as a tech it pays to be knowledgeable on more than 1 system.
Actually, for our Avaya/Key Voice combination we don't need to enter extension# then password. (We thought we did too, until someone pointed it out to me from the board).
Now we just enter 770 and it takes us straight to the password prompt. Enter it and you're in.
We were trained by the original vendor to check email the wrong way, 100 employees X thousands of wasted keystrokes over five years! Anyway, we're happy to find the correct way to check now.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help