atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Al Dukes Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 01:27 PM
Got a problem with a LUADS doorphone. It will signal the programmed phones but after the doorophone is activated by the button, whoever responds to the depressed call button cannot hear the caller nor can the caller hear the responder. To make sure tht the unit was working properly, I de-installed the unit from the door entrance (about two hundred feet from the ksu) and instqlled it at the mdf. Works without a hitch from there. Thinking thqt I could improve the chance of it working but doubling the tip/ring pairs to the unit at its remote location but to no avail. Still can;t get it to work. I tried different pairs altoghther but no-go. It has worked in the past. Can anyone guide me? This is driving me nuts!

Al :bang:
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 02:10 PM
It's a simple doorphone and one pair of wire. If it works back at the KSU it's gotta be you...

-Hal
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 02:34 PM
No, it isn't me. I understand how it is installed. Although I didn't install it originally, I have installed many doorphone units of all different varieties. I should say that when I go off hook with my butt set across the tip/ring, it works fine at the remote end. I have been installing equipment for 30 years and am very methodical in my approach. But thanks for your suggestion. The person who originally installed the equipment did such a poor job that little works well on that site. I have actually improved the quality of their communications since taking over the account. They are maxed out in a utility room that is so poorly configured, the frame is a joke. No sir, it isn't me. Thanks anyway. I will resolve it. Ultimately, I always do!
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 03:06 PM
If it works at the control unit, then it should work at the location it is installed. IF (Did I say if) the cable is good. Two hundred feet is no problem for that unit.
Have you tried running a new cable?
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 04:01 PM
The door phone should be programed to pick up intercom dial tone and then dial a group.

If it's one that takes dial tone and sends a call waiting tone. Change the option in the door phone.

That option never works that great.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 04:06 PM
Is this the older Lucent door Phone that Valcom acquired?
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 05:58 PM
The door phone should be programed to pick up intercom dial tone and then dial a group.

Not exactly. Partner has a doorphone function that works like a hotline. One needs only to program the extension as a doorphone and the extensions that will be alerted when the button is pressed. The Partner doorphone is a simple T/R phone that basically only has to go off hook, no need for it to dial anything.

-Hal
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/24/08 07:22 PM
Charles - take a look at the item being discussed here: https://www.paging-solutions.com/PDFManuals/54-2106-01A.pdf - as Hal says, it's just a single line phone that goes off-hook, and the Partner does the rest.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 11:19 AM
I'm with Mike; the trouble lies in the cable run between the door and the Partner.

Neither distance nor polarity is an issue, so it's down to how much time you want to spend troubleshooting the existing cable run.

With all the installation experience you have, I'm sure you know not to rely on a toner alone to locate suitable pairs. Use a multimeter to find the short, ground or whatever it is that's killing the voice path. I'm willing to bet that there's a splice, tramped pair or a breach in the cable jacket somewhere (especially after the way you described the pre-existing wire elsewhere).
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:04 PM
TT

Who ever makes it and the manufacture has changed twice in the last 10 years..

Viking and Harris come to mind.

What I am saying is that the door phone is on a ex. and not a call waiting feature like a default Chamberlain model and some vikings without the option removed.

It needs to go off hook on intercom dial tone and speed dial the group of stations assigned.

As Hal said, whatever.

The Door phone does not need to be program as a hot line. In fact, I have never programed one as a hot line and never will.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:14 PM
Station Specialties,....... Hal wasn't saying to program the door phone as a hotline.
Hal was saying to program the doorphone as a doorphone in the Partner Programing. :confused:
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:16 PM
One needs to Assign door phone 1 or 2 in program. Go to the door phone program on The ACS and assign allow signal/ring/alert to stations in the program.

Group 41 or 42

No hot line needed on an ACS. A hot line function can work but this is not they way to do it.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:21 PM
Sorry, 41 and 42 is the relay strike assignment to open the door.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:41 PM
One needs to Assign door phone 1 or 2 in program...

Thanks for your input but none of this relates to the problem. I assume that the OP is aware of how to program the the system for the doorphone since he has it working at the KSU. Certainly the fact that it works at the KSU and not at the end of the wire indicates the problem has nothing to do with programming.

-Hal
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 02:44 PM
If your butt set works or a standard 2500 type set then the door phone has an slight problem. Capacitor or bad mic or both. These things sit out in the elements of weather and typically last about 10 years at best. Just my thoughts.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/26/08 03:18 PM
Also the fact that it works at the KSU and not at the end of the wire indicates the problem has nothing to do with with the doorphone either...

-Hal
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/29/08 02:03 PM
I believe it is a cable problem. Will be returning tomorrow to test the cable. Will let you know how this resolves. THqnks for all the suggestions.

Al
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/29/08 06:37 PM
I knew if we gave you enough time to think about it you would figure it out. :thumb:

-Hal
Posted By: lustderf Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 04/30/08 04:54 PM
Had a similar problem with an external phone. Turned out the cable had a flaw in it. The flaw did not become a problem until a heavy rain when the conduit got flooded. The door phone would dial, but not one could be heard at either end. Also, the flooding eventually caused the line to short out, ringing the operators station with random false alarms.
Posted By: Al Dukes Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 02:33 PM
Finally, a resolution. I returned to site and tested the cable with my Fluke. The cable is fine. It was the volume setting for the mic and the speaker that was causing the problem. The customer said that it had not worked well since the day it was installed. The voices were garbled at best, volume low. The back doorphone is installed in a three bay delivery area serviced by tractor trailers so the background noise is quite substantial. This doesn't even include the large motors, compressors, etc (it's a anticeptic dairy packing house with tons of machinery). So I adjusted the potentiometers for both the speaker and the mike and presto, problem solved! Works great and flawlessly. The mic was turned up to the max so the background noise caused the problem. The Avaya LUADS install guide talked about that. Thanks for all of your help.

Al (duh!!!) :banana: :banana:
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 02:58 PM
Hal gave me a link to Valcom. I suppose this is the
unit made by Harris for Lucent in which Valcom now fixes.

I had somewhat the same problem but was unable to fix it on the bench.

If the squirrels, chipmunks and rats are hungry they may chew on the wire.

No sign of varmints?

One thing I'll never forget.
I Did a service call for a small bakery and went into the suspended ceiling and most of the station wire was chewed on down to the copper.

They had phone problems and heath department issues.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 03:53 PM
No, The Harris/Valcom doesn't have controls as I remember. The Bogen and Viking do.

See Al, I told ya it was you! Actually I would have expected that the person who picked up the doorphone call inside only heard noise if what you say is true. All that ambient noise would have kept the doorphone VOX from switching to "receive" so the inside person would not be heard. You said nobody heard anything, that's why I never mentioned the mic level.

-Hal
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 04:25 PM
Your right Hal, No pot switches on the Harris other than what I thought was one with volume control.
Ive put a bunch of these things from Viking to the older ones. They seem to change things every few years.

You should see the door phone Made by Chamberlain.

More features than a U-boat commander would have. Expensive Yes. Not made for the North East weather.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 04:36 PM
Just remember Harris did make the door phone for Lucent/ATT/partner at one time.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 06:10 PM
That's the one that Valcom now makes. I always prefer them if I can get the customer to pay the extra $$.

-Hal
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/01/08 06:28 PM
The green idiot light. The time out green light on the unit is a nice feature on The valcom. It means if nobody answered or didn't want to kinda say's don't ring my door bell again. Go away.
Posted By: Yacov Kravchik Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/05/08 02:35 AM
hey

maybe you have power problem ?
where does the unit get power from ?
Posted By: dexman Re: Avaya LUADS Analog Doorphone - 05/05/08 06:25 AM
Door phones, such as the LUADS, are line powered devices much like a basic 2500 series Western Electric telephone.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help