atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: AdemcoWisc Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 11:21 AM
Hi everyone:

Having an issue trying to get a 12D working in another building. The other two digital sets coming from the other building are OK, as well as the two CO's coming over as well. This one is giving me a problem though.

I know that I'm good to the block that's leaving the building going over to the other building. The lines pass through IROB's coming in, and when I try to plug in a plain analog phone, I'm getting dial tone, but when I try to plug in the digital station ... nothing. Here's how the wiring is right now:
Code
25-pair                  Station wire from IROB
WHITE/SLATE ------------ WHITE/GREEN
SLATE/WHITE ------------ BLUE
RED/BLUE    ------------ WHITE/BLUE
BLUE/RED    ------------ GREEN

Bridging clips are in place and secure. Double-checked the wiring on the blocks, and everything is secure and seated well. I'm going to try and buzz it out to see what I can find there, but I'm guessing that if I'm getting dialtone, then one pair must be working, but the pair that sends data is not. Perhaps one of these pairs is bad.

Thanks for any help that you could give, Michael
Posted By: skip555 Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 11:33 AM
WHITE/SLATE ------------ WHITE/GREEN
SLATE/WHITE ------------ BLUE
RED/BLUE ------------ WHITE/BLUE
BLUE/RED ------------ GREEN
why are you using the green pair rather than the orange pair ?

why are you splitting pairs ?
Posted By: AdemcoWisc Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 11:55 AM
I'm terminating in 568-B fashion, and pins 3-4-5-6 work out to be the white/green blue; white/blue green pairs. Ummmmm ... I'm not aware that I'm splitting pairs ... I just punched the 25-pair right down the left side in the order that a diagram gave me. White/slate is tip; slate/white is ring, and red/blue is tip; blue/red is ring.
Posted By: mongo5150 Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 01:42 PM
I would go grab a cable tester from Home Depot. The $50 will go a long way.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 02:12 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about unless you can tell us what kind of jack you are using and how the other end of that 25 pair is wired to the system.

And yes, you are splitting the pairs. How about:

WHITE/SLATE ------------ WHITE/BLUE
SLATE/WHITE ------------ BLUE/WHITE
RED/BLUE ------------ WHITE/GREEN
BLUE/RED ------------ GREEN/WHITE

-Hal
Posted By: cvrbob Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 03:17 PM
I see what he is doing , it will be easier to test if you keep your pairs together. most techs come off the partner , and keep their pairs together for testing thru the house cable , he is using 568B wiring thu the house cable . and yes you have a problem with the data pair white green, probably the irob
Posted By: hbiss Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 04:13 PM
OK, how about this. You go to the system and disconnect the plug from the extension port. Using a banjo or even a spare jack with the extension cable plugged into it you jumper (short) pins 3&4 (the two center pins). Now you trace your wiring through and arrange it so that pins 3&4 on a line cord plugged into your phone jack sees that short.

Now do the same thing with pins 2&5 (which are on either side of 3&4).

I figure this is something you alarm guys can understand. smile

-Hal
Posted By: skip555 Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 04:25 PM
background on this project here
Posted By: AdemcoWisc Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/11/08 05:18 PM
Yep, Skip - SAME project! I can't wait when this is all finished and it works out.

Hal, will try your suggestion and see what happens; thanks for that.

I suppose I can just try moving it to two different pairs and see if I can get something going that way - that would be an easy fix.

Will try the suggestions and see what happens. Many thanks!
Posted By: AdemcoWisc Re: Wiring trouble for MLS-12D ... - 11/15/08 11:17 AM
Problem solved. It was a bad patch cord in the remote building from the IROB to the block. Replaced it, and the set came right up. I wish all problems were that simple. smirk

Thanks for the help!
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help