atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jgardner Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/04/09 08:29 AM
Hi Folks!

Well, the time has come and I am having to relegate the 1A2 system to my office with the cordboard. The family wants caller-id, and that would be difficult to implement with the 1A2.

So I pulled out the Legend system from storage along with several MLX-10D phones.

I purchases a 408-GS/LS ID-MLX card and installed it in the system. All I get is "No Caller ID" on the phones.

So, after a little research it appears that in order to get caller id I need to be at R7.

My system is a CKE4 processor card running Legend R6.1 V11.0.

Here is my question:

If I upgrade the software to R7.0 I will get Caller-ID, but just single line.

If I upgrade to Magix I will get 2 line Caller-ID.

Am I correct with this?? Also, if I find a Magix Processor on the E place can I install it in a clamshell in the Legend?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: ipofficeguy Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/04/09 03:13 PM
A Magix processor can go in a clamshell using a Legend carrier.

Both the Legend and Magix only display one line of caller id. I know with the Magix, you can setup a button or dial a feature code to toggle between caller id name and number but it will only show one of the other at a time. The Legend may have the same feature, but I can't remember.

If you want both name and number on the display, your Avaya options are Partner ACS, or IP Office.
Posted By: merlinman Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/04/09 03:23 PM
Well, that's not exactly true.

The later releases of Magix can display caller id with both name and number, without using the TOGGLE.

This can be verified by reading the POCKET REFERENCE for Magix R3.0 & Earlier at this location:

https://support.avaya.com/japple/cs...p;temp.bucketID=160257&PAGE=Document
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/05/09 07:41 AM
Thanks guys.

You confirmed what I thought. I think I will go with the Magix processor if I can find one and put it in a clam shell.

So, Merlinman, asI get a Magix 3.0 or greater I should be able to get two line caller id?

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/13/09 01:18 PM
Merlinman

I managed to get a Magix R4.0 CKE5 processor. I purchased a clamshell.

When I got both of them I discovered a problem. It appears that there must be two different clamshells. The processor does not fit in the clamshell I have.

I can put the processor in without the clamshell and the front cable guide hangs lower than the other Legend modules.

Is there another clamshell?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Posted By: vad60 Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/13/09 08:28 PM
There is clamhell for Magix Processor and clamshell for regular Magix cards.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/13/09 08:30 PM
You guessed correctly...a distinctly different clamshell is needed for the Magix processor blade. The seller obviously grabbed the wrong one for you.

[Linked Image from inlinethumb39.webshots.com]

Notice how the processor blade appears to "hang" lower than the other modules.
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/14/09 11:53 AM
OK, the clamshell thing makes sense. Just not sure how to order the right one.

However, I am still having issues with the Caller-ID.

The first setup was:

Slot 0: Legend Processor CKE4
Hdw Vintage: 00
Legend 6.1 V11.0
Slot 1: 408 GS/LS-ID-MLX
408 GLM-U
Hdw Vintage: 11
Fwr Vintage: 42
App Vintage: 27

Set all lines to Loop Start. Does not want to allow me to set LS-ID Delay.

When I call into the system from my cell phone or another line it displays "OUTSIDE NO CALLER ID".

So I upgraded (put the Magix Processor in, without clamshell)

Slot 0: Legend Processor CKE5
Hdw Vintage: 02
Magix 4.0 V7.0
Slot 1: 408 GS/LS-ID-MLX
408 GLM-U
Hdw Vintage: 11
Fwr Vintage: 42
App Vintage: 27

I set the lines to Loop Start. I was able to LS-ID Delay (made no difference).

When I call into the system all it displays is "OUTSIDE" never displays anything about Caller ID.

The two lines I am trying to connect to the system are Vonage lines and they are displaying caller id when connected to a regular phone.

I am very baffled about what I am doing wrong.

Please, know I am not doing this for a business, this is for my house, so any help you guys can give I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: vad60 Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/14/09 12:54 PM
Hello Jim,
I am not sure that Vonage will deliver proper signaling for CID used by Magix vs any POTS lines provider, second is you have to remember that CID comes only between 1st and 2nd rings. So make sure you are not picking up earlier then second ring and the third is there no special settings for CID required.
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/14/09 01:20 PM
Vad60

I wondered about the CID from vonage myself, but as I said it shows up on a regular phone.

I let it ring until it goes to VM and it never shows up. Further, I believe the LS ID delay is designed to account for the delay show it shows up.

What confuses me is that with the Legend processor it shows No Caller ID, but with the Magix processor it shows nothing.
Posted By: vad60 Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 02/14/09 01:50 PM
Don't be confused. Different Processors cards behave differently. One telling you No CID because you have CID Trunk card in it and second telling you that is nothing special about your Trunks just Outside. You can go to Labels and change the names if you wish but it would not make any differences. Looks like Vonage is not generated CID signal between rings but sends info with the ring together. You can call Vonage and verify that.
Posted By: Phyllis Smith Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 01:41 AM
FYI:
LS ID Delay is used to delay displaying the caller ID information until the call has had time to be answered by a member of a calling group.

It only works if you have all loop start lines assigned to the group.
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 07:48 AM
Well I determined that the problem is the Vonage system.

When I connect the System with the Legend Processor or the Magix processor to a pots line it works fine.

I tried to different Vonage ATAs but no luck. Each time it works with a cheap phone directly to the ATA but nothing comes through the Legend/Magix.

Final test, I forwarded the vonage line to a working pots line and caller id showed up fine.

After searching out on the web it appears that the Vonage line is not clean enough for the Magix/Legend to understand.

So final question would be does anyone know of some kind of device that would clean up the line and repass the Caller ID info. I know Sandman offers a Ring device used to power additional ringers on the line and it states it will pass Caller ID. Any thoughts.

I may have to give up on this.
Posted By: dexman Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 11:04 AM
I can't think of any device that can regenerate Caller ID info.

One suggestion about the carrier would be to order a Magix carrier. Those carriers are metal and all you would have to do is remove the Legend cards from the clamshells and slide them directly into the carrier.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 11:54 AM
Viking's #RG-10A claims to offer this, but it's not cheap. Check it out HERE.
Posted By: dexman Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 12:04 PM
Hmm. I must be missing something.

The unit boosts the number of telephone sets you can use, but the description says "and does not affect the normal operation of the telephone line or features provided by the phone company such as 'Caller ID' and 'Call Waiting.'"

Did I miss something? :confused:
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 12:16 PM
Paul, I believe that what they are trying to say that it doesn't hamper the delivery of caller ID. I may be wrong, but I'm hoping that the OP will verify this prior to purchase.
Posted By: Station Specialties Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 12:51 PM
It won't work.

This is internet Dial tone via cable modem or DSL with no real voltages such as a T-1 or loop or ground start lines emulating the signal from the Central office. Vonage is just piggybacked and the vonage box is probably only sending a ring signal in a square fequency digital format and not a true 90v to 105v imposed cycle analog wave that the Magix needs to see.
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 05:21 PM
I will give them a call and see what they say. You would think that there would be a device out there that could do this.

I even thought there would be a better ATA I could use but does not appear to be.
Posted By: dexman Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 07:19 PM
Vonage is aimed primarily at residential users (but I know that small businesses use it as well).

You won't find too many homes with a Merlin Legend installed in the basement. A Partner ACS maybe, but a Legend or Magix? Nope. smile
Posted By: jgardner Re: Legend Caller Id and Upgrade - 03/10/09 07:27 PM
My next question is what protocol is the Magix/Legend looking for FSK, DTMF???

From what I have read there are three that the ATA can put out. Unfortunately with Vonage I don't have the ability to change it but can call customer service about it.

You are right Dex. But considering I have a WECO 555 cordboard, and ITT K76A 1A2 system, a Merlin 820, a Merlin 3070 and two legend system I guess my basement is not ordinary.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help