atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: blklabs Driveway Alert - 10/05/09 12:20 PM
I was wondering if this was possible... I would like to set up a doorphone extension. but instead of using an actual doorphone, I would like to connect some sort of electric eye or motion detector, so when someone pulls up my driveway, the device does a contact closure and I get a "bing bong" on any or all the extensions in the house. Anyone ever try this?

PS This is an ACS R6
Posted By: Touch Tone Tommy Re: Driveway Alert - 10/05/09 12:42 PM
Should work, you just need something that will close a relay contact, probably put a 500-ohm resistor in there so it's not a dead short, and make it contact for more than a few seconds, so people don't go "What was that?" when it ding-dongs and quits
Posted By: hbiss Re: Driveway Alert - 10/05/09 01:19 PM
In the past I recommended doing this by just shorting the T/R but I agree with Tommy, a 500 ohm resistor is a good idea.

-Hal
Posted By: blklabs Re: Driveway Alert - 10/05/09 03:11 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking I could use one of those motion detectors from Lowe's/Home Depot that normally connects to a flood light. The ones I'm aware of seem to be a bit bulky though. I'd like to find something a bit less conspicuous.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Driveway Alert - 10/05/09 03:55 PM
God no. Security distributors like ADI have buried sensors and control panels made for that application.

-Hal
Posted By: Keyset6 Re: Driveway Alert - 10/07/09 12:32 PM
Back in the 80s before those flood light motion detectors were popular I was able to find a stand alone motion detector that just gave a closure. It's mounted under the garage overhang. From there it goes to a timer circuit made from a 555 timer i/c to the floodlights mounted on the house. Another 555 circuit produces a tone through the page system during the closure. I wish I remember where I got the motion detector. You may want to try All Electronics. Only trouble is rain will set it off. If I press "4" on my state of the art 1A2 key system with a Melco intercom that'll disable it. "6" reactivates it.
Posted By: metelcom Re: Driveway Alert - 10/07/09 01:44 PM
I have done this many times but not with the Avaya. Motion sensing will work but you could get false calls with rain, snow, birds and animals. A loop in the driveway picks up autos but not much else. I get my detectors from a traffic light installer. Smarthome has devices made for what you are doing.
Posted By: Keyset6 Re: Driveway Alert - 10/09/09 12:50 PM
Even cars driving by will sometimes set mine off. That's a one second tone. When there's a steady tone the dog will run to the door to see who's there. Wow, that Smarthome site has some neat stuff.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help