atcomsystems.ca/forum
Standalone ACS 308 was mounted to drywall horizontally. I removed it and black smoke was on the wall near the ground screw.
Customer has the Remote access/ backup restore card and a PC large voice mail card.
Anyway calls are being interuppted.

How do I initiate the backup of messages greetings, etc. before I pull PC vm card out of old processor?

If I get another ACS 308, and install the existing Remote/ backup and PC large voice mail cards, what is the procedure to upload the info?

Can I just do a 125 restore for the backup card?

What about uploading the PC Large VM card?

Thank you all in advance
At this stage, you might be hard pressed to locate another Partner ACS R3 processor, but if you do, you could use #125 to transfer the programming to the replacement processor (hoping that the latest configuration is saved on the PCMCIA).

I would suggest going with an R6 (for a direct 3x8) or R8 (for the final release) and reprogram from scratch.

There is no backup/restore function for the Partner Voice Messaging per-se.
ACS is simple enough 15-20 min to program one from scratch
How do I initiate the backup of messages greetings, etc. before I pull PC vm card out of old processor?

You don't. They are all on the card.

-Hal
"Was mounted to drywall"
That's a big no-no, but I've seen some slammer jobs like that myself.
And yeah, there will usually be darkened spots on the drywall around the top vents in this case.

When you say "calls are being interuppted", what exactly do you mean?

Anyway, if you want to upgrade the ole R.3 to a R.6 and pull the translations off of the B/U card (if the installer did a B/U) to reload to the new R.6.
Flash the R.3 to a R.6, pull down a B/U then restore it to your new R.6.

Good Luck!
When you say "calls are being interuppted", what exactly do you mean?

When those things are in a hot ambient >85 deg they become unstable and do unpredictable things. I've seen all buttons lit on some extensions and not being able to make calls. Cool it down and the problem goes away.

"Was mounted to drywall"
That's a big no-no, but I've seen some slammer jobs like that myself.
And yeah, there will usually be darkened spots on the drywall around the top vents in this case.

The problem here is that it was mounted HORIZONTALLY, that's why it was overheating. A standalone is made to be mounted to a wall with two screws but it absolutely must to be mounted vertically. For proper operation the airflow must flow into the bottom slots and out the top where the hot power supply is. Further, the ventilation slots must not be blocked so don't lean it against a wall sitting on a shelf for instance. Leave plenty of room around it and don't locate it in a hot (greater than 85 deg) location to begin with.

For even better cooling stick it in a 5 slot carrier and leave the cover off but that's kind of overkill if you never intend to go beyond the one module.

-Hal
LOL!
Hal, I have actually walked in and found them laying horizontally on a shelf in the data rack and the customer wondering why they are having issues.
Hal, I have actually walked in and found them laying horizontally on a shelf in the data rack...

Takes up too much room in the rack otherwise. Besides, everything else works that way. Friggin' CGs!

-Hal
Originally posted by mdaniel:
LOL!
Hal, I have actually walked in and found them laying horizontally on a shelf in the data rack and the customer wondering why they are having issues.
oh..I can do better than that..found one stuffed up into the drop ceiling... I told them I didnt think the ACS was plenum rated... :rofl:
mdaniel I am unsure how to flash R# to R^. I ran the backup numerous times, because before I re-oriented ACS, it kept going down during the backup. I talke to customer today and it has been OK for the last few days.
When we wall mount, we'll put a spacer (RG6 crimp connector works well) between processor and wall. Just a bit more air flow can do wonders. We have also mounted an entire cabinet in the top of a rack to allow patching to universal cable plant. That also works fine.
Mike
Good tip from mforrence about the spacers.
Make sure your screws are long enough!

wink
I ran the backup numerous times, because before I re-oriented ACS, it kept going down during the backup... I talke to customer today and it has been OK for the last few days.

Guess you haven't been listening to what we have been saying. Orient it vertically and where the ambient is below 85 deg and it will be OK. Matter of fact I wouldn't even worry about replacing this one, now that it's cooled down it should be OK. Not saying it will last as long as one that hasn't overheated (who knows) but I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's working.

I've run into this several times where the AC quit working and once it's cool enough it will begin working again.

-Hal
hbiss, sorry to mislead you. One of the first things I did was take it down and mount it vertically, after I first checked out the problems.
Cu8stomer just called, still having problems.
Maybe time to replace the processor with a newer verison and re-program. Its a small system, won't take long.
Cu8stomer just called, still having problems.

Well, then there is no choice.

-Hal
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help