atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: 93mdk93 IPOffice line cords - 01/10/13 12:42 AM
I've been researching the IP Office a bit to prepare for the classes and I installed one for the first time last week (preconfigured; I was just the meat on the floor).

As I unpacked the phones, I noticed two different line cords in the box: a black 8p2c to 8p2c cord and a grey 8p2c to 6p2c cord. I used the black ones because the guys who wired the place used 8p jacks for both voice and data (don't get me started...) and had no issues but after I got home I got to wondering what the other cord was for. Do they include both styles so that you have the option of using a cord that fits the jacks on both ends regardless of the site's house wiring or is there some other purpose for them?
Posted By: hbiss Re: IPOffice line cords - 01/10/13 01:07 AM
Do they include both styles so that you have the option of using a cord that fits the jacks on both ends regardless of the site's house wiring or is there some other purpose for them?

I would say that is the case however inserting a 6p plug into an 8p jack never bothered them before. Maybe they got the message that the practice isn't a good idea but it is uncharacteristic of them to actually spend the money to include two line cords because of it. So it must be because it's cheaper somehow.

I do know that the old Partner phones, just before they were discontinued shipped with a D4W cord with an 8p/4c plug on one end and a 6p/4c plug on the other. Before that they always came with the usual silver satin 4 conductor line cord and 6p plugs. I always assumed that the D4W cord was because they had a warehouse full of them that they wanted to get rid of.

-Hal
Posted By: mdaniel Re: IPOffice line cords - 01/10/13 01:07 AM
You must be talking about the digital phones like the 14XX.
And "Yes" I think you're correct in your assumption,...... as it's never a good idea to plug a 6p/6c cord into a 8p/8c jack.
Posted By: 1864 Re: IPOffice line cords - 01/10/13 04:36 AM
Interchangeability..

Merlin-Partner- I frown PO
Posted By: hbiss Re: IPOffice line cords - 01/10/13 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by 1864
Interchangeability..

Merlin-Partner- I frown PO

Partner has always had 8p jacks to be backward compatible with the Merlin if you wanted to use the old wiring and D8W cords. 6p line cords were always supplied with the phones so I doubt that is the issue with these cords.

Maybe it's because IT "professionals" wouldn't know what to do with anything but a RJ-45 plug.

Actually I like those gray D4W cords they give you now. Reminds me of the old Merlin days, much sturdier.

-Hal
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help