atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: stevewm Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/15/13 08:25 PM
I work for a chain of retail stores with 7 locations. We are currently in the process of building our 8th location.

In the past we have always went with the Partner ACS system because it was easy to install and program. And it just works.

Since it was EOLed some time ago, not sure I want to buy yet another one for our newest location.

What would be a good replacement for the old ACS system? I see the IP Office has a "Partner" edition... does this provide any benefits over a real Partner system?

Needs:
At least 15 extensions. Will have 5 POTS lines (from Comcast). 3-4 users will need voice mail, and a night only auto attendant for announcing store hours, etc.. Also due to the way we operate, line appearances or a very good emulation of them is required. Remembering "parking lot/orbit" numbers is not going to fly with our staff. Anyone in the store could answer the phone at any extension at any time, so having a visual representation of active/held calls is important.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/15/13 08:52 PM
Yes, the IPO Basic is the Partner and retains the old Partner programming and features. The embedded VM isn't up to what the Partner Messaging was but should be more than adequate for what you want to do.

My only caution is that I have had serious problems with POTS lines from cable modems and the IPO that were never fixed by Avaya. I would recommend SIP trunks as the way around that.

-Hal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/15/13 11:31 PM
What Hal is telling you is the correct path to follow, just remember the IP Office Partner will only handle 18 Partner phone.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/16/13 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by hitechcomm
What Hal is telling you is the correct path to follow, just remember the IP Office Partner will only handle 18 Partner phone.

If this is a new install I wouldn't even consider the old Partner phones which have been discontinued so they are only available used/refurb. New systems get new digital phones.

-Hal
Posted By: Jack Salvadore Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/18/13 05:08 AM
The cost to go Essential is trivial and buys you a better phone system. Since I too don't recommend keeping the old phones it is only a few hundred dollar difference in price overall. Basic has issues. You could sell the old phones to a reman company and probably offset the investment in Essential Edition.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/18/13 08:53 PM
I work for a chain of retail stores with 7 locations. We are currently in the process of building our 8th location.

This is a new installation so no old phones are involved- unless he keeps a stock of replacements.

I also assume he also would like to keep the Partner functionality (key system) and administration because that's what the other stores have and the staff is familiar with.

All reasons for the basic and not learning a new system. If he wanted to learn a new system there are more suitable systems out there.

-Hal
Posted By: Jack Salvadore Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 01:33 AM
While I sell suitable other systems nothing tops the IPO. Nothing.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 03:33 AM
I beg to differ. From the viewpoint of a telecom industry veteran and Avaya BP I have many criticisms of the IPO as well as Avaya itself. Not wishing a personal attack, but as an IT person who is not even an Avaya BP what you say carries little weight.

-Hal
Posted By: upstateny Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jack Salvadore
While I sell suitable other systems nothing tops the IPO. Nothing.

I think you would find numerous arguments to that statement from the non Avaya vendors on here.

I had a conversation with one of the muckety mucks from Carousel (one of the largest Avaya BP's about the ongoing expense of ownership and numerous bugs .... he didn't disagree with me.
Posted By: skip555 Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 11:52 AM
you should believe in the product you sell and feel you are offering your customer the best equipment available . We all believe in what we sell and can find fault in what the competitors offer

AS to the OP's question I would stick a ACS in there if your happy with them and they meet your needs they will serve you until you find you need to do something they don't do. Even though they are EOA parts will be readily available for the foreseeable future

I'm doing a national chain store right now and they sent me a ACS to install . It think its a good choice for them

just because its new doesn't make it better or a better choice just because its EOL doesn't mean it doesn't do everything it was designed to do
Posted By: upstateny Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 12:35 PM
I have had nationals send me old Merlins with VoiceSys voice mails to install within the past couple of years... they must be 25+ years old??
Posted By: skip555 Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 01:03 PM
if they work and provide the functionality the business needs in a cost effective manner then why not ?

Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by upstateny
I have had nationals send me old Merlins with VoiceSys voice mails to install within the past couple of years... they must be 25+ years old??

Right. I often repeat the story of a national I did work for send me over to a brand new restaurant to install a Merlin 820D2. That was only a few years ago.

But VoiceSys?? puke

So I agree that a refurbed ACS and phones are a viable option.

-Hal

Posted By: Jack Salvadore Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by hbiss
I beg to differ. From the viewpoint of a telecom industry veteran and Avaya BP I have many criticisms of the IPO as well as Avaya itself. Not wishing a personal attack, but as an IT person who is not even an Avaya BP what you say carries little weight.

Oh I have criticisms. But I'd recommend an IPO in a heartbeat. You really genuinely hate all IT people and hold them in contempt, read enough to see it. I am sure one caused you great harm once and you never got over it. We are not all evil. I sell a lot of IPOs and all of them have been 100% succeses.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/19/13 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jack Salvadore
... You really genuinely hate all IT people and hold them in contempt, read enough to see it. I am sure one caused you great harm once and you never got over it. We are not all evil. I sell a lot of IPOs and all of them have been 100% succeses.

This thread is getting off topic so this is all I'm going to say about this but I guess it could serve as a warning for potential customers to make sure who you are dealing with is legitimate.

Believe me, I'm not the only telecom business owner who dislikes IT people. The reasons are many but the main one is the one you openly admit- "I sell a lot of IPOs". You buy and sell gray market at prices that us ligitimate dealers, who have made the effort to do things right and become BPs, can't compete with.

So the biggest reason I (we) have so much contempt is because you and others like you are taking business away from us. IT people are not our friends, they are out to put us out of business.

-Hal

Posted By: Jack Salvadore Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/20/13 12:15 AM
No I don't buy gray market and you've never seen a bill of mine. I currently buy as a Avaya Affiliate. All on the up and up. The rest is just your imagination. I don't have to excuse myself for being very good at what I do and make a good living as an honest businessman. As one old coot to another, lighten up, Hal. You'll live longer and be happier.
Posted By: justbill Re: Partner ACS replacement path? - 08/20/13 01:45 AM
Let's let this one cool off a bit. Any way you shake it one mold doesn't fit all.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help