atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Thornhil Phantom Calls - 02/10/14 05:49 PM
Anyone experience phantom incoming calls on a Avaya IP Office configured as a Partner. Phantom calls come in after a caller hangs up. Display says External, Rings once and then drops off.
Posted By: dexman Re: Phantom Calls - 02/10/14 07:07 PM
If the calls are coming in via POTS lines, check to see if the LEC is sending a proper disconnect.
Posted By: Thornhil Re: Phantom Calls - 02/10/14 07:13 PM
Service is optimum they claim everything is normal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Phantom Calls - 02/10/14 07:23 PM
I have seen that with TW. it fixed itself so I can't tell you what fixed it.
Posted By: dexman Re: Phantom Calls - 02/11/14 01:24 AM
I'd have someone verify Optimum's claim...just to be sure. wink
Posted By: justbill Re: Phantom Calls - 02/11/14 01:31 AM
Easy enough to test from the DEMARC
Posted By: KENB Re: Phantom Calls - 02/11/14 02:49 AM
Tony
Have you seen this or just took the owners word.

Are you sure its not a user issue like pressing hold and
hanging up or bouncing a hook switch as in new receptionist or
employee who doesn't have a clue.
Posted By: Thornhil Re: Phantom Calls - 02/11/14 12:51 PM
Ken I've seen it.
Posted By: Thornhil Re: Phantom Calls - 02/28/14 01:17 PM
Bill, I put my test set across the dmarc with a KS meter. I see the normal reading (This is was gets me)When we hang up everything goes back to normal. Then the phone rings one time and display says External and stops. (Same line all the time) Meter shows nothing no movement. If I move the CC to a different port in IP Office it follows the line, so if it happens on line one and i move it to line three it happens on line three.I've asked all the normal questions of the Optimum and I get the same answer Its my problem. We have installed a few IP Offices configured as Partners and it only happens on Optimum, never on FIOS or TW. It has happened on two other IP Offices (Optimum DT) one was cleared by changing the modem, the second one and this one have had modems changed and circuits rebuilt They last about a day or two and start again. Im open to any and all information so we stop looking like the bad guys. If there is some thing in IP that needs to be or has to be changed noone seems to know. I've talked to my distributor and told its their Problem
Posted By: Billx Re: Phantom Calls - 02/28/14 07:34 PM
The problem is with Optimum and IP Office.
Here is what I have seen before:

First, the Ring Detector circuit in the IP Office is very, very sensitive.
More sensitive then it really needs to be.

Optimum can/will/maybe send a type of Call Report data stream (like SMDR) about the previous call.

Or, it maybe a Message Waiting data stream (like Caller ID) related to their Voice Mail Service.

This data stream is loud enough (AC Signal) to be considered as a Ring Signal to the IPO.

I have also heard that it is a 30 Volt AC Signal too.

I believe that a KS Meter looks for DC and the Phantom Signal is AC, so that may be why you don't see it.

Try using your Butset (old Bell System are the best for this) on Monitor after you make a call and you may hear the data stream.

Solution is to tell Optimum to turn off all of their Call Reporting and Voice Mail services.

You can also try using a DSL Filter but it may block Caller ID.
Posted By: Thornhil Re: Phantom Calls - 02/28/14 08:20 PM
Bill thanks for the input. I have used my buttset with the KS meter and don't hear anything. I will talk to them about features that you mentioned. Will let you know next week again thanks for the input. Tony
Posted By: jokermia Re: Phantom Calls - 03/12/14 04:21 PM
I'm not sure about the Partner edition or what release you're on, but the Essential Edition R8.1 has known phantom call issues with R8.1(63) & R8.1(69) at least. Have you tried upgrading the software to the current service pack, R8.1(81)?
Posted By: Thornhil Re: Phantom Calls - 03/12/14 06:10 PM
Bill again thanks for the input, finally got to go back today and doing what you suggested turns out when we removed the voice mail feature supplied by Optimum it cleared the problem. Reinstalled the VM problem came back. So VM is off and it works fine. Optimum tester was shocked. Again thanks for the input Regards Tony
Posted By: hbiss Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 12:36 AM
First, the Ring Detector circuit in the IP Office is very, very sensitive.
More sensitive then it really needs to be.

I was told by Avaya that the IP Office is not designed to work with POTS from cable modems. Seems they make it to work in every third world country but it won't work here. This is why I am no longer an Avaya BP.

-Hal
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 01:37 AM
Hal, what do you sell now.
Posted By: KENB Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 02:32 AM
Tony
Glad its resolved
Posted By: hbiss Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by hitechcomm
Hal, what do you sell now.

Haven't decided yet. Thinking about NEC or Panasonic. Then again I may just retire.

-Hal
Posted By: Billx Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 12:36 PM
I am glad to hear that you have it fixed now, but that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cable companies and Fios are inconsistent when it comes to sending a "Positive Disconnect Signal" aka "Calling Party Control" when a call has ended or is abandoned.

So inbound calls that end up in a mailbox may sit there for 6 minutes before being released by the KSU.

If you use Remote Call Forward from an extension, the two CO Lines get locked up until you unplug one of them from the KSU or power cycle the KSU.

Their Caller ID is so loud that you need to turn down the Gains Control in IPO to get it to work.

When you answer an incoming call on IPO, sometimes the Ring Generator will not trip and you get the remainder of the ring cycle in your ear.

In the "Old Days" your Talk Battery came from an actual battery in the basement of the Central Office.
Ring Generator, with a real Sine Wave, came from an actual generator.
Cable boxes use a local DC Power Supply and a synthesized Sine Wave ring signal.

So it appears that they are not 100% the same as "Normal" dial tone and ringing.

Posted By: hbiss Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 04:42 PM
When you answer an incoming call on IPO, sometimes the Ring Generator will not trip and you get the remainder of the ring cycle in your ear.

Yup. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Very embarrassing to have to tell a customer that just paid thousands that even though I'm a dealer Avaya wouldn't even talk to me about the problem so there is nothing I can do. All I got was that it's not designed to work with POTS supplied by cable modems. BS! Hire some competent engineers instead of GD accountants. Sorry Avaya, you make me look bad and you're DONE!

-Hal
Posted By: Billx Re: Phantom Calls - 03/13/14 07:45 PM
Well they may fix it once they realize there is money to be made.

You know, a new Combo Card and ATM Board with corrected firmware to allow it to work properly with a Cable Modems dial tone.

And of course the new Boards will not work with older Versions of IPO but will absolutely require a $450.00 System Upgrade License to get the KSU to the most recent release.

That appears to be the goal - sell licenses.....

Little overhead and no inventory - all profit...

© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help