atcomsystems.ca/forum
Hello all,

Recently swapped out my 408 GS/LS card for one with ID. For some reason, all calls on all lines are showing "No Caller ID" regardless of how long I let it ring.

Click for photo.

I get my phone lines through an array of ATA's connected to my Asterisk box. One two-port Cisco 186, and one two-port Linksys. Caller ID works normally on all of them if I plug in a single line phone or my Partner system.

I did a board renumber when I first installed the card as always, and all of the ports work fine with no trouble.

I tried going into:

System Program > Lines/Trunks > More > GS/LS-ID Delay

It doesn't let me select any line buttons or do anything at this screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
From the Merlin Legend Pocket Reference:

Release 7.0 software also supports the Caller ID capability of
the 408 GS/LS-ID-MLX module. Although previously orderable,
the Caller ID capability of this module could not be used until
Release 7.0 software became available.

Looks like I need a software upgrade!

Thanks TTT!
Does anyone have an upgrade card they are willing to let me borrow?
Hey Scott,

Swapping out the processor for one that is already R7 V14.2 would be the way to go. Cost-wise, they are not very expensive on the secondary market and probably cost even less on eBay. smile
It's a shame...I'm so close... Legend 6.1 V11.2.
How's this? Does the version matter? TTT just said V7.0 +

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucent-Ava...ne_Switching_Systems&hash=item43c6bd8d7e
As long as you are swapping processors you should consider a Magix processor. Same price for the most part on the used market. The Magix processor fits into the same clam shell your Legend processor is in. What is the card inventory in your existing system?
I think that processor would work. Jack does bring up a good point in that if a Magix processor, (an R4 is my preference) is being sold for the same price as the Legend, it would be worth considering. If you want to connect some Classic Merlin sets, stay with a Legend processor. smile
The issue with Magix processor is I'm using ATL phones. Not willing to lose those phones for caller ID alone.
Go for an R7 processor. The MLX phones will get Caller ID and you can keep the ATL phones. grin
Yeah the ATLs won't work which is why I asked about the inventory. Maybe time to start saving up for a new system. I mean at 30 years you sure got your money's worth out of the old one. Most systems I sell to budget stressed companies are leased.
This is for Scott's private collection so it's dependent on his wallet.
You gotta admit they sure built 'em to last back in the day. I can think of at least on vintage Comdial though I'd like to take for a ride. wink
Jack,

I missed your request for the card inventory... I was on my "smart" phone at the time and only briefly read and responded quickly...

My inventory is:
Slot | Card
1............ Power Supply
2............Legend 6.1 V11.2 Processor
3............408 GS/LS-ID-MLX
4............008 ATL
5............800 GS/LS
6............012 Basic Telephones (soon to be replaced by 016 w/ ring gen... made that mistake!)

In other news...

I find that I much prefer the MLX phones that are Lucent or Avaya branded...as they have the white buttons like the Definity phones, which I like. They also seem to be a little more sturdy. I have an MLX-5D (pictured here). I liked it enough to make me order an MLX-16D with white buttons, which will be here later this upcoming work week... I also ordered a Magix 4406D+ phone just to see if it would work...I'm assuming no...but what the heck.

Just got a new in box BIS34 SP... An interesting set I hadn't seen before. Here's the auction link with photos:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/390825192184?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Came with everything... new handset, curly cord, new base... even an 8P8C cord that was still tie wrapped...The warranty expired in 1998... lol (it came with the original box).

I've gathered quite a few older Merlin sets. Just can't get enough of the ring.

I've got:
1x MLX-5D
1x MLX-20L
1x MLX-28D (listed on eBay for sale)
1x BIS SP-34
1x BIS 22-D
1x BIS 22
3x 5-button membrane sets (LOVE these, graciously donated to me by hitechcomm smile )
4x MLX-10D

I sure wish I had a display cabinet, or room for one. Would love to display the Merlin sets in order of button amounts, it would look so cool!

I'm also thinking I may order one of those 72-button Merlin consoles, just because I'm crazy wink

It would take up my entire desk, for sure. LOL

"Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking...Just a MOOOOOment!"

Come to think of it, they did use Legend phones in Office Space smile

The phones were actually working too! Grabbed the URL right at the moment and time where the phone is most clear...Lucent branded MLX-10D!

I was told I could listen to the radio while I was collating...at a reasonable volume...
Many of those funny little boxes that plug into the internet and make dial tone have trouble putting out a proper caller ID signal. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a cheap Magic Jack or Uverse.

Something cheap to try is putting a 100k 1/2 watt resistor across the line. I find it ironic that AT&T's Uverse won't work fully with AT&T's Merlin, but apparently the resistor knocks the rough edges off the signal or just drops its level a bit and it's a fairly popular kludge with Magic Jacks. I never tried the resistor trick myself as I run my Legend system with BIS-10s and old rotary phones, and the MLX-20L only comes out if I need to program something.

Speaking of desk-smashers, I've got a PFC-34 - essentially a BIS-34 grafted onto a fax machine. What I'm after now is the exact opposite in size. Offhand, I think it's called a 7101a - it's a single line POTS phone styled like a Merlin set. Nice and small for the bathroom.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the Merlin ring. I've even got it as a ringtone on my cell.
I have Verizon FiOS here at home and have had no problems with Caller ID being picked up by my Partner ACS.

U-verse is primarily a residential/small business product. Residential grade telephones tend to handle deviation with the Caller ID data stream better than older key systems/pbxs which were designed to Bell System standards.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help