atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: DonaldR Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/22/20 01:57 AM
I was watching this video by Metroline Direct and noted how connecting from a PC to the ACS partner Admin port using several cable adapters.

Has anyone attempted the use of a LAN to USB adapter, or is the protocol on the Admin port strictly Serial/Terminal/Ascii data?

I'm using XP Mode (MS Windows XP Emulator) on a Win7 desktop.

[img]
[/img]

Thanks
The admin port is serial, you need a 355A (or AF) adapter to get to RS-232. From there, you could use an Ethernet to Serial converter like this to put it on your network and administer your ACS.

Question is....why? Making changes is not real time, you pull the existing configuration into the GUI, make your changes with a multitude of mouse clicks, and then upload the file and reboot the phone system. Unless you are trying to make changes for a remote office, I can't see how that is easier or more efficient than just programming from Ext. 10 or 11 (and I've walked customers through programming entire systems from scratch over the phone in 30 minutes or so, simple changes take less than 2 minutes average)
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/23/20 02:12 AM
The main musical instrument manufacturer in Illinois I do warranty service for, and work for/represent during the yearly music trade show has moved into a space which is now half of it's previous siz. Prior to that a few years earlier they moved into half of the building space they previously occupied. Their current space will slightly less than 1/3 of about 5 years ago. The quote I was given was moving from 20,000sq ft, to 10,000sq ft, so now 7000sq ft.

This 5 module system was going to be left behind when they moved. One of the key people in the know who maintained the system was laid off during a downsizing of the company.

Instead of the system being left behind, I asked if it could be removed and shipped to me. The messaging boxes are all full etc. In the new building Comcast is providing their phone service and 4 phone extensions.

I'm taking on the task of extracting voicemail messages, saving to MP3 files for burning to a CDR and sent back to the service department head for him to sort through any important calls that might have been missed.

The Control unit is an Avaya with R3.0 installed according the sticker. I have in my possession the modules only. The frame/cage, phones were shipped in another box yesterday and should be arriving shortly. I do not know if it has ever been updated (just yet).

Fresh batteries were installed in the Control Unit Module prior to system disconnection and removal last week. Hopefully all of the current programming will still be intact.

I wanted to take a look at the Control Unit's programming overall rather than hunt and peck through the use of a phone extension.

This earlier Control Unit does not have an Admin port. It does have a Remote Access PC PCMIA card installed.
This suggests programming was administered via a PC at some point.

It isn't immediately apparent to me if the SMDR port can be used for this in addition to report printing, or is Ext 10, or 11 connected via modem for PC programming. I've been trying to read through some of the documentation I downloaded from Avaya's support website, however I haven't stumbled onto this answer yet.

There may be other documentation I need to download. There's literally 100s of files to choose from even after one tries to select what is pertinent in the search. Maybe it isn't that difficult, but I seemingly find documentation much more easily on the Panasonic Partner Portal. bash

Unfortunately I have a few other pressing items going on. The biggest is emptying out 30+ years of scrap wood my father stuffed into the garage along with all of the other wonderful little gremlin clean up from it not being closed up tightly.
It does have a Remote Access PC PCMIA card installed.
This suggests programming was administered via a PC at some point.
It really only suggests that the system was probably backed up to the card for restoration in case the batteries failed. You can look at program code #730 and see if there is a remote access programming password.

I'm taking on the task of extracting voicemail messages, saving to MP3 files for burning to a CDR and sent back to the service department head for him to sort through any important calls that might have been missed.
Voicemail messages are on the hard drive of the voicemail module. Access to the programming and messages is through IVR - call into voicemail, listen to Joyce-the-Voice, and press Touch Tone digits to tell her what you want. If your voicemail is Partner Mail VS or Partner Voice Messaging, the best you can do is set up a recording patch and record yourself (on mute) checking each mailbox and playing the messages.

If it is a Partner Messaging, you can get the "PARTNER Messaging Release X.X System Administration Software" to save messages one by one as .wav files. You connect via the Ethernet port on the Messaging module.

Good luck!
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/23/20 03:31 PM
I pulled the Remote PC card to look at it closer.

It is apparently only a 14.400baud modem card only.

It does not appear to have the back/restore, or update capabilities.

I'll check for the program code #730 password as you've suggested.

I did expect to record the voice mails directly from an extension to an external recording device.

If the default passwords have been changed, I hope someone has that information tucked away in their memory.

If not then I know you can do that "back door magic" if needed. dbanana

modemcard1

modemcard2

This system also has an ACS Partner Messaging Module, with a 4 port PCMIA card installed.

Oddly the Partner Messaging module has no information as to it's part number of version tag on it anywhere, only a serial number sticker of SN: 325952 . It seems to show no heat discoloring of the casing.

avayacsapartnermessaging module

The system is a mixture of Avaya, and Lucent modules. The backplane has a AT&T label.

avayacontroller1

avayacontroller2

lucentpartner206eR4,1-1

lucentpartner206eR4,1-2

lucentpartner206eR4,1-3

avayapartneracs206E,R4,1-1

avayapartneracs206E,R4,1-2

LucentPartnerII,400ECModuleR3,1-1x

LucentPartnerII,400ECModuleR3,1-2
Set your cabinet up with the modules in the following order:

Slot 1: 206 module marked 18 through 23
Slot 2: 206 module marked 24 through 29
Slot 3: ACS Control unit
Slot 4: Partner Messaging module
Slot 5: 400 module

Plug in a phone, press Intercom, and dial 777 to reach the voicemail.
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/23/20 04:15 PM
I believe that is the way it was configured previously. Someone had numbered the modules at the top of each with a felt tipped pen.

thanks!
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/24/20 06:35 AM
Here is the partner messaging internals.

No Hard Disk Drive In Here! smirk

Partner Messaging Mainboard

flash memory p/n view
Why are you tearing it apart? Put that system back together and check the messages. The format on that drive isn't going to give them up to you in a usable format, and you risk overwriting what's there.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/24/20 05:14 PM
There is no hard drive because it was removed and replaced with a solid state hard drive by a refurbisher.

-Hal
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/25/20 05:15 AM
I'm taking them apart while I wait for the cabinet arrive to look for any obvious ragged edges and to clean out dead bugs, spider webs etc. That's all.
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/25/20 05:21 AM
I am aware of this, my KX-TVA50 is flash memory based attached to my KX-TA824. The KX-TVS200 I had prior had a hard drive.

I couldn't understand why the unit seemed so light in weight of it had a HDD. There was also a nice spider web spun over the the card which the flash memory plugs into also.

I suppose spider might have tried to assimilate-with the flash drive? assimilation

Originally Posted by hbiss
There is no hard drive because it was removed and replaced with a solid state hard drive by a refurbisher.

-Hal

Unfortunately Flash Memory over time has a whole set of its own problems different, yet similar to an aging HDD..... sigh
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/25/20 08:52 PM
I have Partner messaging systems out there over 20 years old with hard drives running 24/7 and still going strong. Then I had many brand new that died after three months. Go figure.

-Hal
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/29/20 03:10 PM
Searching for a 355A or AF adapter seems to be the same as searching for a Bacon Stretcher or a Left Handed Smoke Shifter wink

What I really need then is a DB25 to RJ45 kit and connect the pins to correspond.....?

Modular Adapter, DB25 Male to RJ45

..and wire it as in this diagram.

DB25 to RJ45

Originally Posted by Touch Tone Tommy
The admin port is serial, you need a 355A (or AF) adapter to get to RS-232.
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/29/20 03:28 PM
I checked #730 and there is a password programmed which is shown on the phone display.

It really only suggests that the system was probably backed up to the card for restoration in case the batteries failed. You can look at program code #730 and see if there is a remote access programming password.
It's not that difficult, just put 355af in a search engine. However, here's a thought DB9
What you can get off the shelf is a Cisco console cable - this has a 9-pin serial connector on one end to go into your computer, and an 8P8C modular plug to go into the console port on a Cisco switch. Now you can make a simple adapter by cutting a 568-B patch cable in half, and punching the wires down on a 568-B keystone jack. Patch cable goes into the Admin jack on the Partner, Cisco cable goes into the Keystone, and into your computer

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/29/20 03:38 PM
I thought flash memory was the best thing since sliced bread, as it has no moving parts like a HDD. I then found that it can also fail prematurely.

About 8 years of what I consider light use in (now 10 years old) my KX-TVA50 VMS started occasionally dropping voice prompts. Without warning crashing and rebooting when you dial into one of the Port's extensions, changes to software settings don't always update etc. Restoring the software has not fixed the problems, nor did the last software revision. I spoke with someone and was told, yes, the flash memory in these do fail.

I then read up on how flash memory works which is actually an Eprom on a much larger scale.

That there is only so many times each bit can change from one state to the other. After many many "flips" slight enough that it's state can no longer be read as either on or off.

A Large-Scale Study of Flash Memory Failures in the Field

I have Partner messaging systems out there over 20 years old with hard drives running 24/7 and still going strong. Then I had many brand new that died after three months. Go figure.

-Hal
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/29/20 03:55 PM
Carl Navarro.... Now that is a name I haven't seen since I purchased an replacement HDD w/version 4.56 (I think) for a TVS200 many years ago. Though it was kind of slow, I wished that I had held onto it.

Before when I searched for 355A and 355AF adapter I found many unrelated items. When I just did the search again, I found several for the right item. Maybe it's al in my imagination...

Thank You!

Originally Posted by Carl Navarro
It's not that difficult, just put 355af in a search engine. However, here's a thought DB9
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 07/29/20 04:12 PM
I just found this video on how to make an RJ45 to DB9 adapter which makes more sense as my Panasonic Toughbook has a DB9 Serial port.

How to Make a 355A AT&T Avaya Lucent Programming Adapter. Merlin Magix / Legend (and ACS)
[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/11/20 12:25 PM
Update...on the voice mail portion, I'm "In Like Flynn" as is said on EEVBlog.

I hunted around online and found that the ACS Messaging SysAdmin password was set at the factory default......Egads. WTF

Easy for me, and certainly not very secure.

The software level is Partner ACS Version 7.0.42.

I screen saved a Voice Mail Box Report, then reset all of the VM passwords. I'll dig into the capture of messages, or attempting to forward them to my email address via the LAN connection.

Apparently there's at least one voice mail box which had no person's name and voice mails were left it unknown to anyone else, as far back as December of last year I think.

It's not connected to the outside world, as of current since it is most definitely vulnerable to prying touch toners.... computerprobs
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/11/20 05:34 PM
I hunted around online and found that the ACS Messaging SysAdmin password was set at the factory default......Egads. WTF

No egads. All messaging system have permanent backdoor passwords which were closely guarded secrets until the scumbags on the internet spread them all around. Fortunately that didn't happen until after the Partner system was long discontinued. There had to be a backdoor because there would be no way to get into the system if someone were to change the normal admin password. At this point in time I doubt that anybody knows or cares to hack a Partner messaging system anyway. There are much bigger fish to fry.

So it's really a non issue.

-Hal
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/12/20 09:50 AM
[quote]No egads. All messaging system have permanent backdoor passwords which were closely guarded secrets until the scumbags on the internet spread them all around. Fortunately that didn't happen until after the Partner system was long discontinued. There had to be a backdoor because there would be no way to get into the system if someone were to change the normal admin password. At this point in time I doubt that anybody knows or cares to hack a Partner messaging system anyway. There are much bigger fish to fry.

So it's really a non issue.

-Hal

I do not believe this to be the Backdoor password I found.

According to @1:42:

Avaya Partner - How to set up Partner Messaging Module from a PC

Using the sysadmin login

The password is "whatever you are using to log in over the phone". Then he explains "If you haven't logged in for the first time yet, just press press enter here".

There was a post on the Tek-Tips board where it is claimed the default password for sysadmin is 123456. In my case this worked.

Partner Messaging Administator Password Reset

Now I am a little confused, is the sysadmin password initially "unset" or is it simply 123456....

There is also an option to change this password which I confirmed, If this is the case, then I don't think this is the "backdoor" access.

There was mention of a voice mail password only being four digits. Under version 7.0 passwords must be 6 to 15 digits.

Partner ACS Voicemail Remote Access

I suppose this may be a very early release of the Messaging software, or there is indeed a vast amount of misinformation out there.
The Partner Messaging series (R1, R6, and R7) come with the Administrator password unset. On the first login, no matter what you enter as the password followed by #, or even no password and just #, you are prompted that your password is "too short" - because it doesn't exist. Default security settings require a minimum of 6 digits, so the typical lazy installer/programmer will type in 123456 and move on with their day. There ARE backdoor passwords for each version, and they are different and complex. The first thing the customer should do (because ultimately they are the owner of the system and responsible for it) is to change the admin password, keep it in a safe place, and possibly even change the minimum password length to more than 6 digits.

Partner Mail VS is completely different, there is a default Admin password and a backdoor.
Partner Mail has 2 separate Admin passwords, both are required for access. The Admin mailbox extension number can be changed from the default as well. Backdoor access requires the serial number from the disk and a power cycle.
Partner Voice Messaging has a backdoor that will not work on an external call, must be input on site.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/12/20 06:57 PM
Some of our users have the default 1234 passwords. I have just discovered that remote access is enabled by pressing *7 when getting to the greeting prompt. I believe there is a programming code for disabling remote access. I would like to disable remote access while I perform a check of everyone's voicemail passwords. Is this possible?

Ahh, you were talking about the individual mailbox passwords set up by the the employees. As Tommy said, there is no default here either. If they choose 123456 that's on them and there is no way to tell other than trying to log into their mailbox with 123456. The administrator doesn't have access to (can't see) the individual user passwords so he can't "check" them. All the administrator can do is reset a mailbox password to default. Then if he want's to snoop on the messages he is going to have to set a new password same as the user. So the user will know if the admin has been in his mailbox when his password no longer works.

I have just discovered that remote access is enabled by pressing *7 when getting to the greeting prompt.

This is a separate situation. (*)(7) from outside gets you to the same place (I)(777) does on a system phone- the voice mail greeting. It allows outside users to retrieve their VM messages remotely. You can also get to the messaging system administration if you know how and the admin password- same as in the office.

-Hal
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/14/20 07:37 AM
The Partner Messaging series (R1, R6, and R7) come with the Administrator password unset. On the first login, no matter what you enter as the password followed by #, or even no password and just #, you are prompted that your password is "too short" - because it doesn't exist. Default security settings require a minimum of 6 digits, so the typical lazy installer/programmer will type in 123456 and move on with their day. There ARE backdoor passwords for each version, and they are different and complex. The first thing the customer should do (because ultimately they are the owner of the system and responsible for it) is to change the admin password, keep it in a safe place, and possibly even change the minimum password length to more than 6 digits.

That makes perfect sense.

Partner Mail VS is completely different, there is a default Admin password and a backdoor.
Partner Mail has 2 separate Admin passwords, both are required for access. The Admin mailbox extension number can be changed from the default as well. Backdoor access requires the serial number from the disk and a power cycle.
Partner Voice Messaging has a backdoor that will not work on an external call, must be input on site.

Requirement of the serial number seems even better. Xerox like many other companies in the computer software business had "key" creation software based on the serial number of the product and a unique identifier which the customer provided.

Thanks for clearing this up! smile
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/14/20 07:43 AM
Some of our users have the default 1234 passwords. I have just discovered that remote access is enabled by pressing *7 when getting to the greeting prompt. I believe there is a programming code for disabling remote access. I would like to disable remote access while I perform a check of everyone's voicemail passwords. Is this possible?

Ahh, you were talking about the individual mailbox passwords set up by the the employees. As Tommy said, there is no default here either. If they choose 123456 that's on them and there is no way to tell other than trying to log into their mailbox with 123456. The administrator doesn't have access to (can't see) the individual user passwords so he can't "check" them. All the administrator can do is reset a mailbox password to default. Then if he want's to snoop on the messages he is going to have to set a new password same as the user. So the user will know if the admin has been in his mailbox when his password no longer works.

I have just discovered that remote access is enabled by pressing *7 when getting to the greeting prompt.

This is a separate situation. (*)(7) from outside gets you to the same place (I)(777) does on a system phone- the voice mail greeting. It allows outside users to retrieve their VM messages remotely. You can also get to the messaging system administration if you know how and the admin password- same as in the office.

-Hal

It seems in Version 7.0.X four digit passwords for mailboxes is not allowed. They must be at least six digits. So I don't know where this other person had it in his head that the mailbox passcode be only four digits.

With Panasonic TVS/TVA, from the outside world it's #6 then *(extension/mailbox number). From there you then enter your pass code to retrieve messages.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/14/20 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by DonaldR
It seems in Version 7.0.X four digit passwords for mailboxes is not allowed. They must be at least six digits. So I don't know where this other person had it in his head that the mailbox passcode be only four digits.

That's what you get for going to an IT forum for phone system information.

-Hal
Oh, you can have 4 digit passwords. You can even have NO passwords. But out of the box, 6 is the minimum length. Once you have created the Administrator's password and can access the system, you can then change the minimum password length to anything from 0 to 15 digits
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/15/20 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by DonaldR

That's what you get for going to an IT forum for phone system information.

-Hal

Ha ha ha! Good one! smiley-bounce
Posted By: DonaldR Re: Avaya ACS Partner Software Connection - 08/15/20 02:02 PM
Oh, you can have 4 digit passwords. You can even have NO passwords. But out of the box, 6 is the minimum length. Once you have created the Administrator's password and can access the system, you can then change the minimum password length to anything from 0 to 15 digits

After I installed the Partner Messaging Management software in Virtual XP-Mode, and completely backed up the system including messages, I looked around and found where passwords can be set to Zero, or up to 15 digits.

I am sure some people would complain over 15 digit passwords..tee hee

I attempted to set up voice mails to email, while reading the help files and found I needed the Unified Messaging software/service. I tracked it down. I discovered it will actually install and run as a service on Windows Server 2016. Will fiddle with it later today I hope.

I also found that I can forward messages to a voice mail box which is set up for e-mail and the messages will be sent.

This will save a lot of time, if it run with no hitches.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help