atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: metelcom spare phone - 11/23/19 01:54 AM
I don't sell Cisco but do a lot of trouble shooting of the phones. I get called a lot for cable problems that quite often are not the cables. Most of the time they have Cisco phones and I would like to carry a spare Voip phone that I could plug into line to prove cables and port are working. Is there a good Voip test phone out there?
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: spare phone - 11/23/19 03:12 PM
I remember back in the day when you could just do a wire map to prove that the cable was not the problem and the customer was satisfied.
Posted By: metelcom Re: spare phone - 11/23/19 11:01 PM
Not any more I even have the Pocketethernet that gives me the results of each pair and if its connected to a switch plus a lot of the time I can give them the CDP info. Some ITs think Cisco never breaks when in reality it's usually the problem.
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: spare phone - 11/24/19 03:58 PM
Plug someone else's phone in at that spot. If it comes up, there's the proof. If the end user has a pc connected thru the phone, is their network and internet working? If it is, you've at least proved the cable isn't the problem.

Posted By: metelcom Re: spare phone - 11/24/19 06:38 PM
Thats what I did the other day is took good phone to prove if it was line or phone. 3 bad locations turned out 1 bad switch connection and 2 bad phones. I would like to have something that didn't require shutting down someone else's phone. It was much easier with a single pair.
Posted By: JBean3329 Re: spare phone - 11/25/19 09:24 PM
It's just such a pain having to provision the phone every time you want to use it. There's always some goofy setting somewhere, or something needs to be deleted or some MAC address changed. I keep thinking giving up tin cans and string was a bad idea...
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: spare phone - 11/26/19 03:59 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biztel Cuban Okie Tech Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 04:55 PM
Do you happen to have a IP phone of your own? You can always try to connect to an outside system. Are you trying to just prove it with Cisco phone? If you can make a public IP phone connect back to your system using their poe then you have proven several things there. Working cable, switch port, poe, data passing.
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 05:12 PM
This post is 6 months old...
Posted By: Biztel Cuban Okie Tech Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 07:39 PM
*facepalm* I didn't even care to read the date. Maybe he still needed an idea on it. *shrugs*
Posted By: Professor Shadow Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 09:08 PM
Social Distancing applied to Forum Post...I wonder ponder
Posted By: Daniel Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 09:49 PM
I''ve seen a lot of social distancing in traffic lately. so why not.
Posted By: Biztel Cuban Okie Tech Re: spare phone - 04/02/20 09:53 PM
Yea.... Social distancing... That's definitely it...
Posted By: Keyset6 Re: spare phone - 06/01/20 12:13 PM
We should keep a few spaces between posts.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help