atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: adteldon SBX Idea - 08/03/11 10:36 AM
I was thinking that since there is such a learning curve with this system that maybe in the "installers" section of this site there could be a place to upload / download sample databases that we can actually use to speed up the installation process. For example, a file that has a system set up for pri with general ringing to operator and outbound dialing, or a system set up for call accounting, ect. We could have a smorgasbord of options.

With all the different technicians on this site and applications we run into, it would be nice to simply upload and tweak as opposed to start from scratch, bang your head, and scream. Just an idea. I'm sure there's a reason this won't work.
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/03/11 12:22 PM
Don, I sent you a PM with a few of my ideas. But to the disappointment of our general forum members, I think this topic is an installers level discussion because it will include detailed programming information beyond the scope of the general audience.
Posted By: Gary S. Re: SBX Idea - 08/03/11 02:34 PM
Good ideas guys, but how does a tech like me that uses this site often get to the installer level ??

Again Thanks Gary S.

WE Are Penn State
Posted By: justbill Re: SBX Idea - 08/03/11 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Gary S.:
Good ideas guys, but how does a tech like me that uses this site often get to the installer level ??
See the first pinned topic in the "General" category.
Posted By: adteldon Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 06:02 AM
Dave, I like the cheat sheet you sent me, but as I stated in my pm to you, I really think an upload/download section would be helpful. Heck,
the more I think about it, we could post our application, have an SBX guru set it up and send the file. I sure wouldn't have a problem paying a "programmers fee" for this. It's an opportunity for additional income on slow days for the technician doing the setup. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think there is something here to make it easy on everyone, we just need to figure out the details.
Posted By: Z-man Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 06:57 AM
Its funny you should mention this. I suppose I have never really considered paying anyone for something I am supposed to know how to do. However, I recently found out that several Avaya business partners outsource some of their system setup and programming because they don't have enough staff, or don't want the headache. Either way, it might be something that works. I do see one issue. As far as I know the SBX doesn't have an offline programming function, so you have to be connected to an SBX to program. And I think you have to have the right card configuration to duplicate the database, so that might be an issue here.
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 09:25 AM
the SBX doesn't have an offline programming function
And that is a serious handicap. I have a recent out-of-town SBX install with 40 phones that is asking for a few creative programming applications. Because I am not confident how certain settings behave and/or interact, I hope to load their database into my spare 3x8 KSU for the purpose of testing the applications. But the customer has the 48 station expansion configuration with many DSS units and I only have the basic 3x8 KSU with 8 phones. I will only connect 24 button digital phones to the matching ports on the basic KSU. All other ports or devices, I trust, will simply be seen as out of service.

I hope:
1. That my basic SBX will accept the customer's database
2. That my 3x8 changes can be uploaded back into the customer's 12x48 system.
3. That there are no errors due to the different system configurations.
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 01:01 PM
I don't think you'll have any issues Dave. And the SBX does have an offline programming tool.

Personally, I would want to test it on the bench system anyway.
Posted By: Z-man Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 01:17 PM
I was unsure of the offline programming tool, but it is there? Thats kind of makes sense due to the fact that it runs a proprietary program and not a web interface.
Posted By: dtcd21 Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 04:33 PM
sbx does have an offline pgming program, be aware it is nothing at all like the interface when one is connected to the sbx directly however
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: SBX Idea - 08/04/11 05:24 PM
Probably could be solved by starting an SBX installers group...similar to a Wiki page but hosted on someones ISP or server. Authorized installers could get permission to join the forum/group and interact with other dealers and share info and ideas.
Posted By: adteldon Re: SBX Idea - 08/05/11 06:20 AM
Z-Man wrote:

"Its funny you should mention this. I suppose I have never really considered paying anyone for something I am supposed to know how to do."

You are so right, it's almost embarrassing, but until I am comfortable with the system, I would definitely not think twice about outsourceing the programming to this site or whatever site is available. Or like "Rather Be Fishing" said, maybe start a SBX installers group / page. I don't know, but I think this could work somehow.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Idea - 08/05/11 09:03 AM
There is an offline tool. I have used it the last couple of days and found some problems with my recent install I needed to change. However, I would not use it to program, just view. The tool is 3.0 not 3.5. I have heard that a new one is on the way but who knows when. Everything is sure a work in progress right now.

This idea of providing programming dnl/usr files is an interesting one. I think we should pursue it.
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/05/11 10:33 AM
I think having an SBX installers group has value also, but I'm afraid that it would be mostly at the expense of Derrick's hard earned experience!
Posted By: Ray01 Re: SBX Idea - 08/06/11 08:38 PM
Maybe if enough installers got together it would benefit Derrick more than you think. ($$)
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Idea - 08/07/11 08:41 PM
I am willing to take this on even without an offline program. I'll just use an SBX. I sure know how to download and email attachments!
Posted By: adteldon Re: SBX Idea - 08/09/11 06:56 AM
Question is Derrick......What is that attachment going to cost?

There are two senarios that we have discussed. 1- A place on this site or any site (I suppose)that any of us could upload a certain type setup, trying to cover as many type set up's as possible, that would be free for technicians only to download.

2- Posting a certain application needed, and the first tech to respond would get the job charging a fair fee that both parties can agree upon.

I say both scenarios would be an awesome addition to this site, I'm just not sure about how to make option 1 work. We need a website guru's help on this one. That I am not!
Posted By: dtcd21 Re: SBX Idea - 08/09/11 04:04 PM
Not to be rude but comon
A: having someone else do the work doesn't help you when you're installing in the field and you run into a problem that you should know, you will learn nothing
B: no matter what the customer is always going to want something changed or the way they wanted something is going to differ between time of pgming to time of install.
I can spout off the whole basic pgming of an sbx that's un-networked right now in 3 minutes but beyond that you need to learn the system if you're installing it so you're not wasting tech services time asking dumb stuff or most importantly wasting the customers time.
If you guys want I can type up the install process I throw on every basic ksu before we get out to the field and tailor it to the customer will be awhile before I get time though.
Posted By: adteldon Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 06:09 AM
dtcd21... For the most part I agree with you, but... Unlike many techs on this board, we have only been selling the SBX for a couple of months and don't have the knowledge of how the SBX has progressed from the beginning. For instance, the first version of the SBX is quite different from the latest version, yet the documentation that I see still seems to reflect the original system. For example; In the beginnging the Vertical video's show you to set up hunt groups to make multiple phones ring, yet in the latest version, hunt groups aren't needed to accomplish this feat. If I were fortunate enough to install an SBX 3 or 4 times a week, I would know it a lot better, but I am not a large teleconnect, so it's more like 1 every 2 weeks and it is hard to remember every little thing when you don't do it every day.
As far as tying up tech support goes....that's their job. Give me back my STS platform and they would never hear from me. I would LOVE for you post your installation process on the SBX though.
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 06:21 AM
Making multiple phones ring. CO line ringing does not require hunt groups. DID numbers ringing on multiple phones do...so I guess this helps to show that the database idea may help a lot.
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 09:39 AM
dtcd21 & Don. I only wish i had a couple of SBX installs a month. As such, I have actually started my own installation programming cheat sheet. Examples of other commonly used settings could be a real aid for many of us. Too often, I seem to be learning the same thing over and over. I seem to forget things all too easily on this system.

For me, having a few procedures written down helps me to avoid forgetting to do them. One such example is PGM 147 to change CID display from number to "name". Yes, I will eventually put this into a generic default uploadable database but I'm not there yet. Using PC admin to regularly enter this general data is helping to raise my comfort level.
Posted By: jwooten Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 01:46 PM
It helps if you run one in your shop! Just today I changed the the default IP to end in .200 no problem. Changed it in pcadmin, too but it would not connect! :bang:
Posted By: jimmy29 Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 05:10 PM
Be sure to reset system after changing IP.
Posted By: dtcd21 Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 08:25 PM
I'll throw somethin together with everything and try to give an explanation of why I do it how I do it. Like MNDAVE said that is one of the many things I do for the basic install. I have a 308, 616 base map for each too they get annoying though as things seem to change from sbx to sbx we get sometimes.
Yeah you don't need a hunt group to ring multiple phones you just do it through the co ring assignment and add each station individually. In some situations depending on what the customer wants you may need to pick one or the other to use. For example I used a hunt group on a system where half the phones rang for a call center order taking type outfit. They didn't like it because if they were on the phone and someone else called in there was no indication out of their 9 lines which one was the incoming even if I enabled DID Call Wait. Ended up putting the individual stations in the co ring assign for shits and giggles and low and behold it showed which line was ringing in the screen as opposed to the hunt group pilot and it made an alert sound in their ear. UCD group just marks them as busy and lets them alone if they're on when a call comes in. Some people will want one or the other so.
Once you get a few under your belt you'll get used to them, they are probably one of if not the easiest system to pgm IMO.
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/11/11 09:25 PM
Yup!
Posted By: jwooten Re: SBX Idea - 08/12/11 04:40 AM
Originally posted by MNDAVE:
Yup!
This was done and could even ping it! Changed it back to default. I'll work on it later!
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/12/11 08:03 AM
You've got to give the first credit to jimmy29 though. He beat me to the draw on that answer!
Posted By: nfcphoneman Re: SBX Idea - 08/12/11 10:13 AM
Jim,

Make sure you assign the default gateway as well. Yeah, I know it should work without it, but some times doesn't.

-Larry
Posted By: jwooten Re: SBX Idea - 08/17/11 08:40 AM
I was playing with AA/CCR yesterday and got the system to answer but it wouldn't recognize my dial inputs! eek So this morning I start back trying to figure this out. You have to set the DISA attribute! Works perfect! Unbelievable :bang:
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Idea - 08/17/11 01:21 PM
You must have missed my post about CCRs. You don't set them to ring in Co ring settings, they work only with DID or Disa as you now know!
Posted By: jwooten Re: SBX Idea - 08/17/11 01:32 PM
Well my brain is only 48Hp and this thing is 348Hp! :rofl:
Posted By: RATHER BE FISHING Re: SBX Idea - 08/17/11 02:14 PM
All those years of salt water.... :rofl: :rofl: laugh
Posted By: MnDave Re: SBX Idea - 08/17/11 02:25 PM
And in Harlingen, its the heat AND humidity! laugh
Posted By: RUSS K. Re: SBX Idea - 08/28/11 03:15 AM
Reading your comments, I am getting better at programming these things, after years of Exec, Exec II, DSU, etc.

My biggest problem is the stupid 3 or 4 letter abbreviations for things. I wish someone had a dictionary that told me what they all stand for. I know some of them, but when you are making a couple changes, I bang my head to figure what to change.

An off-line tool would be helpful. I did that many times on DX80 and 120. Would sit at my PC, build the dbase, and then load it upon install. Gave you a pretty good place to start, then I'd just tweak it.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help