atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: EV607797 SBX Remote Access Via IP - 10/26/11 12:18 PM
I have a newly-installed SBX that I'm having trouble getting set up for remote IP programming access. I have the static IP address entered under PGM108, button 2 and the gateway IP address entered under button 4. I am using a 4 port switch that splits out the LAN connection to the SBX ahead of the customer's router. Is there something else that I'm missing?

PS: I'm not able to ping the SBX, but I can ping their gateway just fine.
Posted By: Ted Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 10/26/11 01:12 PM
Hi Ed, everytime something doesn't work on the SBX i rock the power switch. I know you probably already did that but maybe...
ted
Posted By: nonameyet Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 10/26/11 02:03 PM
ditto on the power cycle, it actually says that !

' Somewhere '. I did remember reading it.

oh, and don't forget, port forwarding on Both TCP and UDP
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 10/26/11 02:50 PM
If you can't ping it...it isn't on the web yet. Since you are ahead of the router all ports are open already. Are you sure it is an active public IP? Nine times out of ten when I can't ping a device hanging open on the web that is the problem...the ip has been shut down by the isp for inactivity or just stupidity.

The tenth reason is because I entered it, the ip address, wrong or the system needs a reset.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 11/18/11 05:21 PM
We finally schlepped back up to Baltimore to check this out and found that the customer had entered the gateway's IP address incorrectly. It was nice of them to try, but I figured that this could be the only reason for a static IP not working. I couldn't scold the guy, since he did me a favor by attempting to enter the gateway IP.

Regardless, everything is working great now. Having a live system out there to play with is going to be fun.
Posted By: jctsphone Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 12/01/11 06:16 PM
So you put a switch ahead of the router and then set the ABC's IP as the customers static address? Does the router use a second static address? Is this a preferred method to not have the system behind a router and completely open?
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 12/01/11 06:59 PM
It is the method that works with the least amount of work. It is easier than port forwarding to an internal address, or sticking the SBX in the router DMZ. All the programming that lets SBX get out on the Web thru a router, like when using VOIP is one thing, letting packets come in, a whole different can of worms.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 12/01/11 07:27 PM
@JCTSPhone:

Well not exactly. A $10.00 switch and a static IP saves hours of troubleshooting and finger pointing IF they have multiple static IPs available. In this case, the customer had extra IP addresses to use. The router uses their .210 address and they let us use their .211 address. It works flawlessly. We've been doing it that way for years with VOIP cards in systems as well. Set it up, plug it in, test it and it works forever.

When the customer or their IT person messes with the router, it doesn't have any effect on our stuff (or at least rarely). It isn't often that a commercial customer isn't afforded at least two IP addresses anyway.
Posted By: NEWiTech Earl Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/08/12 02:04 PM
Does this work with setting the MBX up for remote admin too?
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/08/12 02:06 PM
Yes, public IP assigned to the MBX and putting the system in front of any firewall is the easiest way to do it.
Posted By: NEWiTech Earl Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/08/12 02:30 PM
We cannot get this to work at all. Any guidance would be helpful.
Here is what I have entered in 108.
IP Address - 24.000.00.244
Subnet - 255.255.255.248
Router IP - 24.000.00.241
FirewallIP - 24.000.00.241
DNS IP - 24.000.00.241
also have the Primary and Secondary DNS with correct information.
Posted By: NEWiTech Earl Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/08/12 02:56 PM
Nevermind. Ports are dead, now we have to rip Time Warner a new one.
Posted By: xpiramental Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/24/12 07:17 AM
What ports need to be open?
Posted By: Derrick Re: SBX Remote Access Via IP - 02/24/12 02:49 PM
That is not a real ip address...if you ping it, it comes back as 24.0.0.244. I don't know if the reply I get is coming from your system or not, but it obviously a public ip that is in use somewhere.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help