atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Z-man love my iPhone but.......... - 11/25/10 01:15 AM
I love my iPhone. I can't imagine not having a smart phone. Its feature still beat out the other guys, but why the hell can't Apple figure out that we would like some built in ringtones and alert tones that sound NORMAL! I just need my phone to have nice, business like ring instead of a quacking duck ringtone! Who the hell would ever want their phone to sound like a duck!!! I downloaded some free ringtones, but why should I have too! (ah...I feel better now that I got a chance to vent about the ringer!) :bang:
Posted By: mdaniel Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/28/10 05:57 PM
I luv my iphone also, but hate the at&t network around here.
No 3g and VM's arive about 24hr late.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/28/10 06:57 PM
Describing Apple's native ringtones as "unprofessional" may not hold true in the art and design world where Apple is king. But for the rest of the ladder climbers out there, I couldn't agree with you more.

Though Apple is definitely innovative, trying hard to "think different" sometimes comes at a cost with respect to standards.

My most recent post about the iPhone concerned their Calendar app and it's inability to properly adjust for DST. But that's an obvious and well-known problem now.

Anyone tried to use Unified Messaging with iPhone? If so, were you able to open the MP3 or WAV attachments? Or could you only see the icon for the attachment...as if the email hadn't fully downloaded yet? The only workaround that I have found is to send UM emails as plain text (rather than html). Don't know why or much care why this fails, I just wish Apple weren't QUITE so non-conformist.
Posted By: Silversam Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/29/10 05:28 AM
Mike -

I don't know how bad ATT's network is in KY, but here in NYC it's terrible. I dropped them for Verizon years ago. Now I'm waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for a Verizon iPhone.

I'm giving them till next year band then I'm going for an Android if they can't get the product.

Sam
Posted By: Z-man Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/29/10 06:25 AM
Mike-

Have you tried turning the 3G off? Not sure about why the voice mails arrive late. I turn my 3G off just because it saves me battery power, and the Edge network signal is more consistant around here as well. I don't really notice much different in anything but heavy surfing with the phone, which I don't do much anyway.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/29/10 11:26 PM
Edge is slow, and there seems to be good Verizon 3G coverage in the Paintsville area (see https://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=paintsville&state_abr=ky).

If I were you, I'd "jailbreak" my iPhone and sign up for VZN service the instant your AT&T contract is up.
Posted By: mdaniel Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/30/10 04:44 PM
Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
Edge is slow, and there seems to be good Verizon 3G coverage in the Paintsville area (see https://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php?city=paintsville&state_abr=ky).

If I were you, I'd "jailbreak" my iPhone and sign up for VZN service the instant your AT&T contract is up.
Verizon doesn't have towers in Paintsville they roam off a regional carrier here. Which I tried a few years ago with no success.

In this area you have two carriers to choose from: AT&T or the local regional mom & pop which doesn't work well when you travel.
Posted By: Brian H Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/30/10 08:19 PM
Present iPhones won't work on Verizone even if they are unlocked. They only work on GSM and Verizon is CDMA.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 11/30/10 10:09 PM
Blackberry is who I was thinking of...not iPhone. And of course the Blackberry is already "free" and don't need jailbreaking.

As far as Verizon goes, I'd say they stepped on their own body parts by not adopting 2G early on, but nobody really knew whether that approach to slicing and dicing the airways would gain the upper hand (who would guess that Hydrox made the first chocolate/creme cookie, yet ultimately have it's clock cleaned by Oreo). My problem with Verizon is that they are not only smug about their decision, but also refuse to admit that their network is just as clogged as AT&T's. In Southern California, I'd say they rival each other in cell site hand-off failures.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheerleader for the AT&T network--nobody despises their customer service as much as I do. Even so, I find that their product works well enough with my Motorola that I don't look elsewhere for service.

@Mike: Good to know. If that's how things really are (and you would know), then I can't count on cellreception.com for unbiased info.
Posted By: Z-man Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/01/10 07:10 AM
Yes...I admit that Verizon has a better over all network than AT&T, but I think that is more of an issue in non-metro areas, which for me doesn't really matter. I do find it curious that Verizon is going to start selling the iPhone. Maybe the phone itself is not as bad as Verizon and Droid claim? If anyone out there owns a Droid, can you tell me if there is any truth to the rumor that Droid has problems with exchange server?
Posted By: phone repair Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/02/10 09:38 AM
Only thing I like about ATT is that it uses SIM card, every time I broke my phone I just swap the SIM to another and im good to go, also all my contacts are kept in the SIM card. Things I dont like on iphones are their battery life, poor reception and too fragile to carry out in the field.
Posted By: phone repair Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/02/10 09:38 AM
Only thing I like about ATT is that it uses SIM card, every time I broke my phone I just swap the SIM to another and im good to go, also all my contacts are kept in the SIM card. Things I dont like on iphones are their battery life, poor reception and too fragile to carry out in the field.
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/02/10 01:34 PM
Many new phones have the ability to synchronize contacts with an online database such as Gmail. Check out GooSync if your phone doesn't support this feature natively.
Posted By: tito1411 Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/03/10 11:02 AM
Z-Man we have several Android phones on our network that connect to our Exchange server just fine. No problems that I'm aware of. One is a HTC Incredible and the other is a Samsung Fascinate.
Posted By: Z-man Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/04/10 09:07 AM
Originally posted by tito1411:
Z-Man we have several Android phones on our network that connect to our Exchange server just fine. No problems that I'm aware of. One is a HTC Incredible and the other is a Samsung Fascinate.
That makes sense. I can see a major phone maker not incoporating Exchange Server. Now, we will need to find out if Verizons CDMA network is going to allow simultanious voice and data traffic with the iPhone. My understand now is that is does not.
Posted By: podnuh Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/04/10 10:01 PM
HTC Incredible, nice phone, good features, battery life SUCKS!
Posted By: Derrick Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/17/10 05:30 AM
Remember to kill the screen after each use and the battery life isn't so "Incredibly" bad.

I use Hover as my POP email server...for my default domain email account and also Cox for a secondary one. Both sites work well with the Incredible.
Posted By: Z-man Re: love my iPhone but.......... - 12/17/10 07:33 AM
Look into doing exchange server on your Incredible. You have to pay monthly fee, but the $20 a month I pay for my two work email accounts to be on exchange is well worth it. For me, if I ever have to go back to POP on my mobile device or laptop, I will be very angry.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help