atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: telecom guy10 Motorola MicroTAC - 02/22/10 08:41 PM
A while back, a relative of mine gave me an old Motorla MicroTAC, and I recently dug it out of the closet and decided to remove the guts and try to stick a very thin newer GSM phone inside, so I could use the case and use it to make calls, making it look as if I was using the MicroTAC. This is just for gags of course! One thing I noticed when I took the phone apart was that the microphone, ringer, and speaker all had small wires leading to contacts on the circuit board, where they were sautered on. Since I was planning on using the cell phones case as a cover for the newer GSM phone, I figured that I could take apart the new cell phone and remove it's speaker and microphone and use the MicroTAC's for a bigger speaker and so the mic and speaker could be in their original spots. Also, is there a way I could make the ringer ring, so I could make a recording of it and use it as the ringtone? I know this is kind of silly but it would just be funny to have and use.
Posted By: soyons-expositifs Re: Motorola MicroTAC - 02/23/10 06:24 AM
its not silly, i have a G style handset plugged into my lg rumor
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: Motorola MicroTAC - 02/23/10 04:45 PM
Thanks for the reassurance! Does anyone know anything about cell phone anatomy?
Posted By: deFunkT Re: Motorola MicroTAC - 11/16/11 05:04 AM
telecom guy10...
How did you manage to take apart your MicroTAC? I just purchased one from eBay and was planning to implant some sound chips (with recorded messages) behind the digit buttons. But i'm afraid i might break the plastic casing from trying to pry it open.
If anybody else knows how to do this, too, any and all help would be awesome.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: Motorola MicroTAC - 11/16/11 07:09 AM
I did manage to take it apart, but not without damaging the internal workings. The flip open cover had to be partially bent in the joints. I'm sure there is a screw somewhere that I missed. I think you'd be better off finding a bag phone. It is easily taken apart, only two screws hold together the dialpad and handset piece. Bag phones have an external power supply so you could easily just (somehow?) rewire it as a home phone? Good luck!
Posted By: dagwoodsystems Re: Motorola MicroTAC - 11/19/11 04:33 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with the MicroTAC for the gag piece. Instead I'd go dig up one of the old Motorola "brick" phones and put modern guts into that one.

But should you want to stick with the MicroTAC, then post back with your insistence. I've had a LOT of luck getting exploded views of mobile phones. Betcha I could get one of your phone as well.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help