atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Jadix Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 05/08/12 11:43 AM
All,

I am getting ready to outfit a van with a camera system that needs to be viewed remotely...

My first thought was to get a mobile hotspot, but now I am finding that one with an ethernet handoff is pretty hard to find.

I talked to Clear Wireless, and they can do it, but can only handoff a dynamic IP address and I need to have a static for the remote viewing (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

Does anyone have any suggestions, directions to be pointed, etc.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Posted By: hawk82 Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 05/09/12 05:52 AM
dyn.com free dyndns service or www.no-ip.com service. then you can always find the camera online even if the IP address changes. You can get an easy to remember domain name instead of trying to remember the IP address.
Posted By: Jadix Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 05/09/12 07:48 AM
Ah cool, thanks Hawk, I will check it out...
Posted By: jwooten Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 05/09/12 01:01 PM
Have some customers set up with CanWeb Internet Services using their DynIP product. Never had problems.
Posted By: tito1411 Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 05/10/12 06:08 AM
I second www.no-ip.com. No-IP is an excellent service for this application. Ive been using them for over 8 years without any issues.

You may also want to take a look at a new product from Verizon which utilizes the 4G network for internet access. It provides an Ethernet port.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/homefusion.jsp
Posted By: aweaver Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 11/14/12 12:47 AM
Beware! Verizon 4G LTE is double NAT. Verizon offers static IPs but there is a $500 setup fee. It will not hand a public IP to you. I would recommend a static IP from AT&T and a cradlepoint for your ethernet handoff. Plug in any USB Aircard into the cradle point.
Posted By: armoldous Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 02/04/13 09:06 AM
No SPAM allowed!
Posted By: ampleworks Re: Mobile Hotspot with Ethernet Handoff - 03/16/13 01:57 AM
Yes indeed Verizon LTE is a double NAT which will screw with some VPNs. Good luck getting them to admit fault even after getting the static. We've had a ton of problems with one of our clients.

Something a SonicWALL with a USB input for an aircard could be a solution but I certainly cannot recommend Verizon LTE unless you can use some type of remote software that can transverse a double NAT (perhaps something like LogMeIn but usually that doesn't work great for video)
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help