atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: OLD TECH talking of cellular hot spot. - 03/10/13 03:51 AM
greensmilies-026
Can someone tell me the cons of dropping a cell phone and getting a hot spot from a cell carrier. You could still use your old smart phone in wifi mode to make and receive calls from google voice or some other service. Instead of getting ding if you try to attach your computer or tablet to the cell phone. The hot spot will allow other other devices to use the connection. The only thing is not to go over the data limit.

While it is true that you would need to carry two devices, the cost saving seems to cover the inconvenience.

I can switch between devices without having to buy a new phone every two years.

Thanks,

Mike.
Posted By: telecom guy10 Re: talking of cellular hot spot. - 03/10/13 05:31 AM
I can say from experience that using my Dad's iPad on 4G LTE is significantly faster than our DSL home connection which hovers around 5MB/s download and not that great of upload. The major trade off, in my opinion, between cellular data/packet switched data is going to be the latency and ping. Ping and latency is usually very low on DSL because it's a consistent and a wired (of course) connection with very little packet loss, whereas wireless is going to experience some packet loss depending on reception. It all depends on what you plan on using the service for, and whether or not you can tolerate the occasional "trouble," so to speak.

Honestly, using a WiFi hotspot and a cell phone seems like overkill and silly. Unless you plan on using your cellular data connection on other devices, which still, can be done with a smartphone with the hotspot feature enable. What is wrong with using a smartphone with cellular data access? Sprint offers unlimited data packages for decent rates.

Just my two cents.
Posted By: OLD TECH Re: talking of cellular hot spot. - 03/10/13 09:13 AM
Just trying to find a way to save on cell plan. If you have a smart phone, you pay for voice and data. Why not get just a data plan and use it as voice and data?

Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: hitechcomm Re: talking of cellular hot spot. - 03/10/13 11:27 AM
I use a shared data plan for myself and kids. Works well.
© Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help