atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: starion SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 03:15 PM
I recently took over service on two motels that are on the same property. One of them has a Mitel SX-50, which I have successfully been able to fix and program. The larger of the two motels, however, has an SX-200 that had a mishap the other evening.

Seems that a phone company technician came out to check something, and on their way out of the phone room, accidentally kicked the power cord out of one of the 2 Mitel cabinets, the cabinet that houses the trunk cards for outside CO's.

Of course, the symptom was that you could dial room to room, or room to attendant, but you could not get an outside line.

We plugged the cabinet back in, but now we have alarm lights flashing and whenever you dial "9" to get an outside line, it grabs a line, but you can only dial 3 digits before it gives a fast busy (and on display phones it says "Toll Deny").

It appears to me that the station's COS settings got defaulted. Unfortunately, a password was programmed to get into installer/maintenance programming by a previous company, that no longer exists, and we cannot get in.

There is a modem on the system attached to a dedicated phone number, we have not tried logging in remotely yet, but I presume the password will still be an issue.

Anybody have any thoughts about how we might get back into the system while hopefully keeping some of the programming?
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 04:00 PM
Once the default username/password is changed you have to know the new one . Mitel has a backdoor code but they charge like $250 or $500 dollars for a 3 day passcode . I hope that helps .
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 04:03 PM
Which brings up another question....are the codes 4-digits or can they be more?
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 04:27 PM
The username can be from 4 to 10 letters . The passcode can be alfa or numeric or both . What type of 200
icp
digital
analog
el/ml
Makes a big diff on default codes !
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 04:37 PM
What's the quickest way to find out? Can you tell from the console?
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 08:17 PM
No ,gotta call in a Pro . Complicated very Complicated . Sorry ! smile

starion welcome by the way . Please fill out your profile completely . Vague profiles are not a good thing ! Thank You
Have a great week !
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/12/06 08:39 PM
Ouch! I thought we were all pros...I've only been doing phone systems for 18 years now. Just not Mitels.
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 04:34 AM
Starion , your answer brings us no closer to the type of sx200 you are working on . You gotta help us before we can help you . If ya know what I mean ! smile

Pm me if you want . We cannot post default codes in an open forum . I am OOT so my response may be a wee bit slow ! smile
Posted By: fifty5footer Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 06:11 AM
Resetting the expansion cabinet on an SX200, will not effect any of the programming.
Did you check the restrictions for the phones using the "Guest Room Key".
Can the console make outgoing calls using the direct trunk access?
Did the expansion cabinet fully reboot before you did your testing?
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 09:46 AM
Yes, there appears to be three choices for room restrictions...no access, local only, long-distance. None of the settings affect the problem. Tried all three. No luck.

And yes, it was fully rebooted when I tried. Problem has been persistent since the unplugging event a week ago.

As for the console being able to make outgoing calls, I haven't checked. They are receiving incoming calls from outside and from rooms just fine.
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 09:59 AM
Is there an alarm indicator lite up on the console ?
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 10:20 AM
Yes, after my fiddling last night trying to get in, there is a "Minor Alarm" on the console display. Bear in mind though, that there was no alarm when the problem initially occurred. The minor alarm is the result of something I did last night.

In other words, minor alarm or not, the symptom is the same. I can reset the cabinet to clear the alarm.
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 11:14 AM
Cahnge the console from day to night 1 . Then try dialing 9+ . Chage it to night 2 then try dialing 9+ . Once you access cde check you cor's or cor group .
Posted By: EV607797 Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 11:31 AM
I don't know a lot about Mitel here except the analog SX100/200, but this sounds like it's a much more recent vintage than that.

Since I basically know nothing, take this for what it's worth. Have you checked connectivity between the cabinets? It sounds like they have power but aren't able to communicate with each other, as in a simple cable issue.

Sometimes, the seemingly most complex problems end up having the simplest solutions.
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 01:02 PM
It's a 200 digital Ed . Ed is correct there is a cable between the didgital Bay and the Analog bay . Check that . Also do a voltage check on the Analog bay power suplly . It's in the rear of the cab . They are notorius for failing !
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 04:54 PM
I had a Per Node PS go out on a SX2K it only effected Analog Trunks . The callers would get "Call Barred" when trying 9+ numbers all other dialing was ok . Go figure !
Posted By: westerntelephone Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 06:26 PM
Sounds like a digital- analog 480 port mix. Could have problems with the way he is booting the system- those drives are very sensitive! The fast busy is because the co trunks are not there yet, it's trying to grab them after dialing 3 digits (ars)but they are not available. Sounds like the analog bay (probably 4 or 5) is not booting up. Hopefully lec has insurance! PM me for any other ?.. time to move to an sx-200 icp. :toast:
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 08:04 PM
Well, apparently my finding a solution was too slow. I pulled up to do some further diagnostics today, and another company's truck was pulled up in front. I didn't intrude. Don't know if they fixed it or not.
Posted By: OBTW Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/13/06 09:23 PM
Yep
That happens . Sorry to hear it . But a Mitel Certified Tech has access to Tech Support as long as they are in GS with Mitel ! What systems do ya normaly work on ? LMK
$50 bucks say's it was something simple ! No offense meant ! I hope the rest of your work week goes smoother ! smile
Posted By: starion Re: SX-200 Emergency... - 07/14/06 06:40 AM
We're authorized for Vodavi, we have worked on ATT/Lucent Partner systems, NEC, Panasonic, Nitsuko, Toshiba.

Most of our work is on Vodavi and Panasonic. Hate Panasonic tech-support with a passion. Hours on hold only to get someone with an attitude.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help